Are these the comments of a bigot?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are these the comments of a bigot?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Are these the comments of a bigot?  (Read 10610 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:13:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »

I don't think most liberals nowadays care much about what Sanger said.

Though you could hear similar-ish views of still some widely respected 'left-wing' intellectuals at the time - such as the aforementioned H.G Wells.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 04:27:59 PM »

Though you could hear similar-ish views of still some widely respected 'left-wing' intellectuals at the time - such as the aforementioned H.G Wells.

I find it sad that people boycott KFC because one of the places they got chicken from abused some chickens, but the forrunner of a group founded on racism is promoted by a large chunk of the nation.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 04:30:51 PM »

Progressive, forward thinking traits are not the best to have when the general intelligentsia are headed down a destructive path of hate and discrimination.  At that point, it simply becomes a matter of "who can hate the most the fastest."

In today's atmosphere of tolerance, being a forward-thinker is desirable.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 04:32:01 PM »

I find it sad that people boycott KFC because one of the places they got chicken from abused some chickens, but the forrunner of a group founded on racism is promoted by a large chunk of the nation.

Unless that group still promotes racism, I fail to see how that comparison makes any sense.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:36:04 PM »

Unless that group still promotes racism, I fail to see how that comparison makes any sense.

Planned parenthood's clinics continue to target inner-city minorities, which make up nearly 1/2 of the abortions that take place due to them.

3 out of 5 black babies are aborted - blacks are targeted by abortionists.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »

Also, they still award the Margaret Sanger award, with former president Alan Guttmacher saying, "We are merely walking down the path that Mrs. Sanger carved out for us."
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 04:53:12 PM »

Planned parenthood's clinics continue to target inner-city minorities, which make up nearly 1/2 of the abortions that take place due to them.

Stop it! You're get your correlation in my causation!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »

lol

Obviously that has nothing to do with the average economic levels of black people compared to white people... no, it's that Planned Parenthood wants to snuff out all the blacks.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »

I think you're misinterpreting the statistics.  It is much more likely the socio-economic status of many inner city blacks that leads to a higher abortion rate.

As awful as it is, the plight of inner-city blacks would be much worse if they were forced to have those children.

If we want to reduce the abortion rate, we need to give young women the resources they need to raise their children and move upward in society.

We cannot just focus on one part and call it a solution.  Simply banning abortions or relying solely on abortion to relieve some of the poverty are both doomed to fail.

But as long as the debate is restricted to whether a fetus is a person, we will never arrive at a workable solution.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »

There's always been, and still is, a racist strand to American "progressivism". So what? Hardly news.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:41 PM »

I think you're misinterpreting the statistics.  It is much more likely the socio-economic status of many inner city blacks that leads to a higher abortion rate.

As awful as it is, the plight of inner-city blacks would be much worse if they were forced to have those children.

If we want to reduce the abortion rate, we need to give young women the resources they need to raise their children and move upward in society.

We cannot just focus on one part and call it a solution.  Simply banning abortions or relying solely on abortion to relieve some of the poverty are both doomed to fail.

But as long as the debate is restricted to whether a fetus is a person, we will never arrive at a workable solution.

Even if you're right, you conveniently overlooked my other post:

Also, they still award the Margaret Sanger award, with former president Alan Guttmacher saying, "We are merely walking down the path that Mrs. Sanger carved out for us."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

Didn't you know?  Liberals can never be bigots or racists, its pretty convinent.  They can say what they want and they were "joking" or "progressive".  If a conservative says "nappy", off with their head!
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 10:42:08 PM »

Margaret Sanger was an unapologetic racist and eugenicist at a time when it was very popular to be both.  I'm sorry, but conservatives certainly weren't furthering the cause for civil rights at the time either!  This doesn't excuse her views, but her work promoting birth control was a good thing for this country, and I believe that is what Guttmacher was referring to.  Do you have proof that Guttmacher also supports eugenics?

It's very convenient to smear a person and then try to smear somebody else by association even when their association has nothing to do with the negative opinions of the other person... unfortunately, it's easy to see through that argument.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:50:51 PM »

Margaret Sanger was an unapologetic racist and eugenicist at a time when it was very popular to be both.  I'm sorry, but conservatives certainly weren't furthering the cause for civil rights at the time either!  This doesn't excuse her views, but her work promoting birth control was a good thing for this country, and I believe that is what Guttmacher was referring to.  Do you have proof that Guttmacher also supports eugenics?

It's very convenient to smear a person and then try to smear somebody else by association even when their association has nothing to do with the negative opinions of the other person... unfortunately, it's easy to see through that argument.

The path she set was EXACTLY to eliminate blacks and other people she didn't thinks should produce - what other "path" would it refer to?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 10:57:40 PM »

But the legacy she and many other birth control activists have left behind has allowed women to choose when and how many children they will have so that they can plan and be financially secure when they make that choice.

Like I said, she was a eugenicist... a pretty horrible thing.  But we're just beating around the bush here. 

The point of birth control today is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies and to reduce births to parents that will not be able to properly care for their children.

You can spin that to make it sound racist or whatever you want, but the outcome will still  be better for America.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 11:14:55 PM »

But the legacy she and many other birth control activists have left behind has allowed women to choose when and how many children they will have so that they can plan and be financially secure when they make that choice.

Like I said, she was a eugenicist... a pretty horrible thing.  But we're just beating around the bush here. 

The point of birth control today is to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies and to reduce births to parents that will not be able to properly care for their children.

You can spin that to make it sound racist or whatever you want, but the outcome will still  be better for America.

Where does it talk about her "legacy"?  It talks about the path she carved - path involves having a destination - and that destination was a racist one.  If they are following the path, it will lead them to that racist destination.  "Legacy" has nothing to do with this.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »

Do you hate George Washington and all of the other Presidents who owned slaves, Inks? Clearly many of America's founding fathers were slave-owners. If the people of the modern Planned Parenthood organization hate blacks because their founder did, then is it not logical to conclude that anyone who loves America is a racist who supports slavery because the founding fathers did? Using Inks logic, then it certainly would be! Just like the racists in Planned Parenthood have an award named after Sanger, the U.S. still has its capital and a state named after George Washington--not to mention dozens of counties named after him, as well as numerous places named after many other people we would consider racist by today's standards.

So, Inks, using your own logic, I can only conclude that because you love America you are a racist who supports slavery. Unless of course you're telling me that you hate America.

Do you hate America, Inks?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 11:39:51 PM »

Do you hate George Washington and all of the other Presidents who owned slaves, Inks? Clearly many of America's founding fathers were slave-owners. If the people of the modern Planned Parenthood organization hate blacks because their founder did, then is it not logical to conclude that anyone who loves America is a racist who supports slavery because the founding fathers did? Using Inks logic, then it certainly would be! Just like the racists in Planned Parenthood have an award named after Sanger, the U.S. still has its capital and a state named after George Washington--not to mention dozens of counties named after him, as well as numerous places named after many other people we would consider racist by today's standards.

So, Inks, using your own logic, I can only conclude that because you love America you are a racist who supports slavery. Unless of course you're telling me that you hate America.

Do you hate America, Inks?

We denounced it - although much of Americ STILL is racist.

PP claims that they are following the path that Sanger laid down.  I would not say that America is following the path that the FF's laid down.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 12:14:41 AM »

PP claims that they are following the path that Sanger laid down.

Yes... that of birth control.  Whether or not the statement might have any unintentional implications within it, it is meant to say "we are continuing work on birth control".  I don't know what you're trying to argue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 12:18:31 AM »

Yes... that of birth control.  Whether or not the statement might have any unintentional implications within it, it is meant to say "we are continuing work on birth control".  I don't know what you're trying to argue.

The whole point of her promoting birth control was to irradicate the reproduction of those that Sanger didn't see fit to reproduce.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 12:29:46 AM »

The whole point of her promoting birth control was to irradicate the reproduction of those that Sanger didn't see fit to reproduce.

But Guttmacher following the path that she carved regarding birth control does not mean that he endorses her view on eugenics.  Planned Parenthood is not trying to eradicate black people.  It offers help and support for all women who need it.. whether it be a black girl from the inner-city ghetto or Little Miss Christian Perfect who took it a few steps too far and she doesn't want mommy and daddy to find out.

More people rely on Planned Parenthood for help than you think.  Their objective is to help, not cleanse the population of those they find undesirable.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 12:36:59 AM »

But Guttmacher following the path that she carved regarding birth control does not mean that he endorses her view on eugenics.  Planned Parenthood is not trying to eradicate black people.  It offers help and support for all women who need it.. whether it be a black girl from the inner-city ghetto or Little Miss Christian Perfect who took it a few steps too far and she doesn't want mommy and daddy to find out.

More people rely on Planned Parenthood for help than you think.  Their objective is to help, not cleanse the population of those they find undesirable.

Then explain to me, what is the path that Sanger carved?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 12:38:58 AM »

Just give it up already.

If you want to condemn an organization over the beliefs of a woman who died 40 years ago.. then go ahead.. but you're not convincing anybody that Planned Parenthood is out to eradicate minorities from the U.S.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 12:54:51 AM »

Then explain to me, what is the path that Sanger carved?

Birth control...

What are you arguing, exactly?  That Planned Parenthood is a racist organization trying to eradicate the blacks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies