Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:04:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed]  (Read 20816 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 07:49:49 PM »

I noted which ones I would like BrandonH to accept as friendly, I am unsure of the guidelines but does my opinion matter as the original sponsor?

This should be really obvious. You're not a Senator, so you have no legal standing here at all.
I don't know, I've seen stranger rules, hopefully BrandonH will do it for me. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

In an effort to make this a real decriminalization rather than a legalization, I propose the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Let me be clear that LSD is not a drug for which there is any serious gang involvement or even criminal activity, primarily because it is typically produced by individuals acting on their own or operating small-scale operations. Because it manufactured rather than grown, there is no market for its production overseas and impossible for gangs to produce it en masse domestically. Therefore, the primary purpose of decriminalization in the case of LSD should be to reduce the number of unnecessary imprisonments related to the drug rather than the normalize its production and sale.

"Driving under the influence" is an interesting addition, and I suppose a meritous one, but it should be considered separately (and the clarification contained in the current bill serves no purpose).

I will support this amendment.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2007, 10:49:02 PM »

To clarify, my proposed amendment would also strike all of Ebowed's amendments except the last one, which the amendment would render:

Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 11:19:36 PM »

In an effort to make this a real decriminalization rather than a legalization, I propose the following amendment:

Let me be clear that LSD is not a drug for which there is any serious gang involvement or even criminal activity, primarily because it is typically produced by individuals acting on their own or operating small-scale operations. Because it manufactured rather than grown, there is no market for its production overseas and impossible for gangs to produce it en masse domestically. Therefore, the primary purpose of decriminalization in the case of LSD should be to reduce the number of unnecessary imprisonments related to the drug rather than the normalize its production and sale.

"Driving under the influence" is an interesting addition, and I suppose a meritous one, but it should be considered separately (and the clarification contained in the current bill serves no purpose).

I will vote aye if this is the way we vote on it finally.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 08:39:28 AM »

Ebowed's Amendments I would like BrandonH to accept as friendly:

1. Title of bill changed to Legalization of LSD Bill

2. Sec. 2, Cl. 2 amended to include ", the penalties for which shall be the same as driving with a blood alcohol content higher than the legal limit."

4. Sec. 3, Cl. 2 amended to remove "and marijuana" (no relevance here)

5. Sec. 3, Cl. 2a amended to read "50% of tax revenues will be distributed to the federal needle exchange program established in Act to Establish Atlasian Policy on HIV/AIDS." and Sec. 4, Cl. 2a 1 & 2 removed.

7. Sec. 3, Cl. 3 replaced with "Nothing in this section may prohibit regions from distributing possible tax revenues obtained from regulated LSD sales to whatever programs deemed appropriate."

8. New Sec. 4 titled "Section 4: Status of Currently Incarcerated Nonviolent LSD Users" with text to read "1. Persons convicted by a federal, territory, or District of Columbia court prior to December 25, 2007 of the production, possession, distribution, or sale of LSD may file with that court for a removal of sentence to time served.  Such removal shall be granted under this act only if the plaintiff can show that his activity would not be illegal if the provisions of Section 2 of this act had been in force at the time of conviction.  The burden of proof for a removal of sentence under this act shall be the plaintiff's.  Removal of sentence under this act shall not involve expunging non-LSD related convictions from any person's criminal record.  Nothing in this section shall alter or affect any other process of pardon or parole available with respect to such crimes."

I also thank Sens. Ebowed, Sensei, and SoS for their expressed support

Since this is legislation you originally sponsored, I'll accept as friendly. (You did quote the amendment you are referring to, right?)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 10:20:17 AM »

Okay, that means Senators have 24 hours to object to those amendments. In the mean time, just for the record, we will be voting on the following amendment and then on my own:

(I'm not going to object to those amendments because I'd rather not spend the time voting on each one.)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 04:39:29 PM »

In the mean time, just for the record, we will be voting on the following amendment and then on my own:

Abstain.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 05:14:27 PM »

I will vote aye if this is the way we vote on it finally.

Eh...............I really wish it kept the age limit......and I like this new amendment, fixing my other problem....Ill probably vote Nay.

Aye on the amendment.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 05:18:07 PM »

aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 06:52:53 PM »

If it has to pass, let this be a part of it. Aye.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 06:54:50 PM »

If this amendment passes, I support Verily's amendment as my original purpose has been defeated.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 09:09:22 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 09:24:37 PM »

Tally on Ebowed's Amendment
Aye: 4 (SoS; Earl; Verily; Ebowed)
Nay: 0
Abstain: 1 (Moderate)
Yet to Vote: 5 (Afleitch; Brandon; Friz; Sam; Sensei)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 04:24:20 PM »

Aye
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 05:48:56 PM »

Result on Ebowed's Amendment
Aye: 5 (SoS; Earl; Verily; Ebowed; Afleitch)
Nay: 0
Abstain [Voted]: 1 (Moderate)
Abstain [Didn't vote]: 4 (Brandon; Friz; Sam; Sensei)

With five in favor and one declared abstention, the amendment passes.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »

We are now voting on the following amendment. (Although I stated the full intention of the amendment before, here it is with all of Ebowed's amendments in the bill.)

Legalization Decriminalization of LSD Bill

Section 1: Applicability
1. This law shall remove all federal restrictions on LSD in addition to legalization in Nyman and other federal territories which do not form a region.
2. The Regions of Atlasia shall be free to legalize and regulate LSD in any manner which they may choose.

Section 2 1: In Regards to the Legal Status of LSD
1. The possession and consumption of LSD (also known as lysergic acid diethylamide, LSD-25, or "acid"), a non-addictive semisynthetic psychedelic drug, shall be lawful no longer be a prosecutable offense under the law for anyone who is 18 years or older.
2. This law shall not be interpreted as to decriminalize driving under the influence of LSD, the penalties for which shall be the same as driving with a blood alcohol content higher than the legal limit, or the production and sale of LSD.

Section 3: Taxation
1. Taxes on LSD will be 30%.  Individual regions may set their own taxes on LSD as they see fit in addition to the federal tax which shall not exceed 20%.
2. Federal revenue raised from taxes on LSD will be split evenly among the following two funds:
a.) 50% of tax revenues will be distributed to the federal needle exchange program established in Act to Establish Atlasian Policy on HIV/AIDS.
b.) 50% of tax revenue will be granted to medical and scientific research on the possible medicinal uses of LSD and other psychadelic drugs.
3. Nothing in this section may prohibit regions from distributing possible tax revenues obtained from regulated LSD sales to whatever programs deemed appropriate.

Section 4 2: Status of Currently Incarcerated Nonviolent LSD Users
1. Persons convicted by a federal, territory, or District of Columbia court prior to this legislation coming into force December 25, 2007 of the production, or possession, distribution, or sale of LSD may file with that court for a removal of sentence to time served.  Such removal shall be granted under this act only if the plaintiff can show that his activity would not be illegal if the provisions of Section 2 of this act had been in force at the time of conviction.  The burden of proof for a removal of sentence under this act shall be the plaintiff's.  Removal of sentence under this act shall not involve expunging non-LSD related convictions from any person's criminal record.  Nothing in this section shall alter or affect any other process of pardon or parole available with respect to such crimes."

Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 06:03:13 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 06:29:46 PM »

Nay
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 06:30:22 PM »

Nay.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »

Aye
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2007, 08:03:45 PM »

I urge all senators to vote for Verily's amendment, as the bill in its current state does nothing to help the average Atlasian, only drug addicts.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 08:36:42 PM »

I urge all senators to vote for Verily's amendment, as the bill in its current state does nothing to help the average Atlasian, only drug addicts.
[/quoteDrugs like LSD have been known to hold secret cures for diseases, indeed helping the public. Something bad making something good. Cant beat that!
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 08:45:34 PM »

Drugs like LSD have been known to hold secret cures for diseases, indeed helping the public. Something bad making something good. Cant beat that!

No drug that I'm aware of has ever been revealed to be a cure for anything. Marijuana and some others are usable as painkillers, but LSD isn't useful even for that.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 08:50:49 PM »

Drugs like LSD have been known to hold secret cures for diseases, indeed helping the public. Something bad making something good. Cant beat that!
Well I'm saying it should be decriminalized but I do not want to tax it if the taxes are going to nothing that helps the general public
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »

LSD is non-addictive.

No drug that I'm aware of has ever been revealed to be a cure for anything. Marijuana and some others are usable as painkillers, but LSD isn't useful even for that.

Only because of the taboo in looking for cures from these drugs.

FWIW, there is a history of LSD being used in underground psychological therapy, although MDMA is more common in that field (and trials were approved by the U.S. government a few years ago).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies