Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:13:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anyone here old enough to remember the 1984 presidential election?  (Read 6608 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »

My dad actually worked at a Radio Station when Mondale was running for Senate, many politicians would go on the radio station and do a "meet the voters" type call-in thing. So all of the candidates would meet the workers in the office, so everyone would come in and meet the workers at the radio station. Everyone, Republicans, Democrats, Independents. So everyone would come in and say hi to my dad, except for Mondale, twice. It may not be a judge of character, but it was just that out of every candidate, he was the only one. So anyways, I wasn't around for the '84 election, but my parents were huge Hart fans.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2015, 06:37:09 PM »

Mondale, while having the label as an "Old Democrat", made this line over and over like a broken record:

Tax cuts for the wealthy will erode the middle class and lead to disproportionality of wealth and power (paraphrased).

Back in '84, people laughed at him.  Look where we are now folks.

Actually, the polling at the time suggested the vast majority of Americans agreed with him, but for many it wasn't enough to shift their votes. Lots of cognitive dissonance in 1984.

Actually the American people made the right decision in that eleciton
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »

I was 13 that year. In my home state, Michigan, it was the last year on record Detroit Tigers won the World Series following a 35-and-5 record of their first 40 games of that MLB season. That seemed to overshadow the 1984 United States presidential election in my area of the country. My memory of the 1984 presidential election was no one was betting on Walter Mondale to unseat Ronald Reagan because not many seemed overly interested in who the Democrats would nominate in the first place.

That was more to be remembered -- maybe the best team to have ever won a World Series that did not have a future Baseball Hall of Fame (Alan Trammell belongs in the Hall of Fame even if he was the fourth-best shortstop of his time; the others were Cal Ripken, Ozzie Smith, and Robin Yount. The 1980s had some great middle-infielders. Lou Whitaker was unpopular among baseball writers because he 'failed' to salute the American flag. He was a Jehovah's Witness, and Jehovah's Witnesses consider any salute to a flag an act of idolatry. I may think a salute to the US flag harmless, but following one's religious convictions is honorable in contrast to betting on baseball games, throwing games, or using performance-enhancing drugs to extend a career.

But I digress.     
I agree and think the World Series euphoria may have contributed to Reagan's huge win in the state especially in metro Detroit.

The Republicans carried Michigan very close to their national numbers in 1984 and 1988. And when Bill Clinton won a Democratic pickup of Michigan, while he unseated George Bush in Election 1992, the state still came close to the national margin. That period of three election cycles gave Michigan its overrated "swing state" status that still tends to get mentioned among Corporate News Media. In truth, Michigan has never notched beyond six cycles in consecutively backing presidential winners. (And those six were with the winning Republicans from 1860 to 1880.) A 1984 Michigan was more about Detroit Tigers than that year's presidential election.
Honorable mention: MI voted with the PV winner 1980-2000. While the mood in MI was euphoria, the mood in Cambridge, MA (where I was a student) was sheer despair about the possibility of a Reagan win.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »

Mondale, while having the label as an "Old Democrat", made this line over and over like a broken record:

Tax cuts for the wealthy will erode the middle class and lead to disproportionality of wealth and power (paraphrased).

Actually, the polling at the time suggested the vast majority of Americans agreed with him, but for many it wasn't enough to shift their votes. Lots of cognitive dissonance in 1984.

They didn't, but what does that have to do with my original comment either way?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »

They didn't, but what does that have to do with my original comment either way?

You said they had a cognitive dissonance
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 11:52:59 PM »

1984 was the first election I cast a real ballot in. However, I wasn't very political that year. I probably voted Mondale, but truly I don't recall for sure. Might have been Reagan or Bergman, tho I'm certain it wasn't either Delmar Dennis or Dennis Serrette, the other two options on my ballot. I know I didn't bother with the caucus, tho if Hollings had still been in, I might have.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies