Northern Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:36:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Author Topic: Northern Ireland General Discussion  (Read 49097 times)
doktorb
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2010, 07:24:50 AM »

To spend so much and get so little is utter folly
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2010, 07:52:39 AM »

LOL
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2010, 04:06:50 AM »

Elliot also has moral objections to attending such things as gaelic football games and gay pride parades.
Gaelic football games are dens of vice. Can't figure out the other objection... does he think there might be Catholic priests in attendance?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2010, 06:33:19 PM »

So, yeah. What's left of the PUP has decided to commit suicide. Probably. In practice.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 04:23:57 AM »

A little less cryptic maybe?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 11:44:01 AM »

That's a pretty impressive work of doublethink.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2010, 09:32:22 PM »

Well the UVF has now decommissioned so I hardly see this as any worse than Sinn Fein today.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2010, 11:03:54 PM by patrick1 »

Well the UVF has now decommissioned so I hardly see this as any worse than Sinn Fein today.

While I sorta agree- The problem is the much of the leadership and membership from the Loyalist paramilitaries has turned to drug dealing and outright gangsterism. Of course, the republican movement has some members who have gone down same path.  However, the PUP supporting these types isnt electorally popular.  All this is inconsequential anyway as he party died with Ervine. 

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2010, 01:43:22 PM »

Or with Purvis leaving over this issue. Either way...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »

The murder of a Catholic member of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) on Saturday by a car-bomb in Omagh is another unfortunate reminder of the residual force dissident republicans maintain. Thankfully public and official sentiment appears to be at one in strong condemnation of the action. (The upcoming elections will show again quite clearly that these groups have no significant public support.)

Violent republicanism is in a new phase now, with the continuing 'normalisation' process in NI. The PSNI is now around 30% Catholic. It seems there is now a specific tactic by dissidents to target Catholic policemen - on why this may be so.

http://www.humanrights.ie/index.php/2011/04/03/why-the-dissidents-kill/

It will be interesting whether the recruitment drive will continue now that the 50/50 rule has been dropped.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:35 PM »

I just have a discussion about NI politics that I thought I'd put here: Why is it that there are no left-wing Unionist and right-wing republican parties in NI?  Surely there must be at least some left-wing unionists and right-wingers who support a United Ireland?  Or are the communities that polarized that they both are also purely on opposite ends of the political spectrum?  (with only one centrist party that combines both of them in the middle)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »

I just have a discussion about NI politics that I thought I'd put here: Why is it that there are no left-wing Unionist and right-wing republican parties in NI?  Surely there must be at least some left-wing unionists and right-wingers who support a United Ireland?  Or are the communities that polarized that they both are also purely on opposite ends of the political spectrum?  (with only one centrist party that combines both of them in the middle)

The Alliance Party is in fact really the "left-wing unionist" party you're looking for - it receives few votes from Catholics.  Political cleavages based on ethnicity rather than ideology are commoner than you might think - similar stark divides occur in places like Malaysia or South Africa, and to a much lesser extent even the US.  The present ideological divide in NI is partially because Catholics are historically underprivileged and partially a relic of the old Home Rule controversy.  "Left-wing" Unionists vote DUP (the more "working class" Unionist party) or Alliance, "right-wing" nationalists vote SDLP or occasionally cross sectarian lines (Enoch Powell was elected for the UUP in what's today a safe Sinn Fein seat - NI is the only place on earth where electing Enoch Powell in a landslide is a sign of moderation!).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2012, 05:38:54 AM »

Enoch Powell's old constituency (South Down) is now a safe SDLP constituency, he did not receive a significant crossover vote from Catholics, and he was absolutely not any kind of moderate.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »

The Alliance Party is in fact really the "left-wing unionist" party you're looking for - it receives few votes from Catholics.

I don't think this is entirely true.  In areas where the Catholic population is low it often appears quite a few of them are voting Alliance.  See Assembly results in Strangford, for example.

I'm also not sure that Alliance is exactly "left wing" -- I've got the impression that some Alliance supporters are quite right wing in an Orange Book liberal sort of way -- and while it might be generally "unionist" with a small u it is not Unionist.  What defines Alliance is opposition to sectarianism.

Note also that there have been a few UUP figures (including their last MP, who left because of their ill starred alliance with the Tories) not exactly on the right.

(I think Al has said enough about South Down.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »

'Actually nonsectarian, but not exactly working class orientated' as one satirical work from the early 1980s put it. Increasingly mostly just public sector middle class.

On tuther thing, Two UUP MPs voted with the Callaghan government in the vote of no confidence; Harold McCusker (Armagh) and John Carson (North Belfast). Carson was promptly deselected, while McCusker ended up as a deputy leader. Make of that what thou will, etc.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »

And the bloc vote of NI's one not-entirely-negligible non-Irish population group. Which is Chinese.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Lord Maginnis loses UUP whip over anti-gay comments
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2012, 05:50:49 PM »

The below obviously came out a few days ago.
Interesting changes to the religious demography, but also for the first time a question about national identity.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1212/1224327773537.html
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2012, 09:59:02 PM by politicus »

The below obviously came out a few days ago.
Interesting changes to the religious demography, but also for the first time a question about national identity.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/1212/1224327773537.html
Very interesting, but the low level of Irish identity isnt good news for the Republicans. Is it decreasing or increasing with age?
Regarding the distribution of the 6,5% that hasn't been brought up in either tradition. With 5,59% growing up without a religion I assume a lot come from mixed Catholic/Protestant families?
The 0,92% non-Christian are presumably mostly Chinese.
The Polish and other Eastern European Catholics must be counted in the Catholic bracket in this census, so perhaps the Irish Catholic share is a bit lower than the 45,14%. Maybe 43-43,5%?
Its a shame they don't have an "Irish Catholic" category.

If they do a Border Poll, do you think there would be a pro-Irish majority in Derry, Omagh and Newry & Mourne? The numbers look solid.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2012, 10:03:31 AM »

Map:

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

Perhaps it's because I'm not from there, but seriously people, it's just a flag.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

Indeed. I was ashamed of Quebec during that long debate on the presence of the Canada flag in the Assembly, but, at least, there was no violence.

Well, I suppose it's a continuation of The Troubles.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:36 AM »

Perhaps it's because I'm not from there, but seriously people, it's just a flag.

Maybe because it's not really about the flag.

Or, rather, it is about the flag, but the flag is not actually a flag.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »

Something I came across recently is that for whatever reason, there are more Mormons in Northern Ireland than in the Republic. I wonder what party they tend to vote for.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

Something I came across recently is that for whatever reason, there are more Mormons in Northern Ireland than in the Republic. I wonder what party they tend to vote for.

UUP maybe?

Mormons tend to do well, so they probably don't lean left. They're way too socially conservative for the Alliance, and I'm sure Ian Paisley doesn't like them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies