Northern Ireland General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Author Topic: Northern Ireland General Discussion  (Read 49069 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »

Something I came across recently is that for whatever reason, there are more Mormons in Northern Ireland than in the Republic. I wonder what party they tend to vote for.

I imagine DUP given that I imagine this is connected with the rise of new forms of evangelical Protestantism in NI (of course, evangelicalism itself has a long history in the North as do denominational splits. Just look at Big Iain) and those are DUP voters (if they vote). That would also explain why there are more Mormons in NI than here, which is hardly surprising..
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2013, 01:55:56 PM »

Something I came across recently is that for whatever reason, there are more Mormons in Northern Ireland than in the Republic. I wonder what party they tend to vote for.

I imagine DUP given that I imagine this is connected with the rise of new forms of evangelical Protestantism in NI (of course, evangelicalism itself has a long history in the North as do denominational splits. Just look at Big Iain) and those are DUP voters (if they vote). That would also explain why there are more Mormons in NI than here, which is hardly surprising..

Mormons are not quite evangelical Protestants, though, and I'm not sure that the strident wing of the DUP, who would not consider Mormons to be Christian never mind Protestant, would have much appeal for them. I suspect sizeable numbers would go with UUP or Alliance (on the "none of the above" principle) or simply not vote.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:21 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2013, 09:01:12 PM by Japhy Ryder »

Mormons are not quite evangelical Protestants, though, and I'm not sure that the strident wing of the DUP, who would not consider Mormons to be Christian never mind Protestant, would have much appeal for them. I suspect sizeable numbers would go with UUP or Alliance (on the "none of the above" principle) or simply not vote.

Yes, I know, but they come from the same theological gene pool as the modern evangelical movement and certainly share more background than they do with Catholics. And I don't recall the DUP ever making comments against the Mormons (although given that I tend to ignore everything the DUP says, I can't be sure of that). Of course, if we knew where these Mormons lived, I would have a better idea.

However, the fact that there are more Mormons in NI than ROI (with c40% of the population) is revealing enough in itself.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »

The LDS Church counts about 2800 members in the Republic and 5300 members in the North.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2013, 05:19:12 PM »

As noted elsewhere, longtime South Down SDLP MP (and electoral vanquisher of Enoch Powell) Eddie McGrady has died.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

Not particularly surprising, but depressing all the same:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/feb/18/chinese-anna-lo-online-racist-abuse-northern-ireland-loyalists
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »

UUP maybe?

Mormons tend to do well, so they probably don't lean left. They're way too socially conservative for the Alliance, and I'm sure Ian Paisley doesn't like them.

British and Danish Mormons tend to be remnants of Mormon missionaring in the 19th century, as such they have not a whole lot in common with American Mormons, but more in common with European Protestant free chuches. I would suspect that almost all of them if they mix in politics at all are unionist.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »

Gerry Adams arrested over 1972 murder
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2014, 01:05:45 PM »

On a very important side issue I'm going to leave this here

You must be logged in to read this quote.

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: May 29, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »

Anna Lo (Alliance MLA for South Belfast and Euro election candidate) leaving NI politics because of racism and sectarianism:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/29/northern-ireland-chinese-mp-might-leave-province-racist-abuse

Sad
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #110 on: May 29, 2014, 04:10:39 PM »

Anna Lo (Alliance MLA for South Belfast and Euro election candidate) leaving NI politics because of racism and sectarianism:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/29/northern-ireland-chinese-mp-might-leave-province-racist-abuse

Sad

Is racism in NI mainly on the loyalist side?

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2014, 04:17:01 PM »

No, but the worst of it is.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »

Not the biggest Galloway fan but bravo for him standing his ground against bigotry here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3ejZmuJlv0
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2014, 02:38:38 PM »
« Edited: August 09, 2014, 02:40:51 PM by Frodo »

Given that Northern Ireland is now plurality Catholic (and in fact outnumber Protestants in Belfast), does anyone see it becoming majority Catholic within the next few decades?  
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2014, 02:45:51 PM »

Given that Northern Ireland is now plurality Catholic (and in fact outnumber Protestants in Belfast), does anyone see it becoming majority Catholic within the next few decades?  

It will under current demographic trends, and quite soon at that.

Not that I think that will change the constitutional situation much.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2014, 06:33:11 PM »

Could you elaborate for the reasons behind this? Immigration, Cultural Catholicism, Birth rates?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »

Ireland is crappier than the UK. Until that changes, I don't see the status of NI changing.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2014, 04:19:15 AM »

Could you elaborate for the reasons behind this? Immigration, Cultural Catholicism, Birth rates?

Immigration (rather Protestant migration to the rest of the UK) and historically higher Catholic birth rates (fears of being out-bred has been a part of loyalist rhetoric for ages).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »

The article says 48% Protestant or brought up Protestant vs. 45% Catholic or brought up Catholic. How is that a plurality?

;Regarding the constitutional issue the key figure is only 25% identifying as Irish only.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2014, 06:47:15 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2014, 06:52:23 PM by ObserverIE »

The article says 48% Protestant or brought up Protestant vs. 45% Catholic or brought up Catholic. How is that a plurality?

;Regarding the constitutional issue the key figure is only 25% identifying as Irish only.

Not necessarily (election results are what will determine the constitutional issue). "Northern Irish" can be read as being a regional identity within Irishness, or as a way of avoiding a binary British/Irish choice, or as a more "polite" way of being British without associating yourself with the yahoos who present themselves as the local standard-bearers of Britishness. Whatever you say, say as little as possible, to bowdlerise Heaney.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »

Apologies.

When I saw this graph, I immediately jumped to the conclusion that Catholics had gained a plurality. 

Should have looked more closely... 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2014, 09:26:51 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »

Back in the late 80s, Iris Robinson complained to Ulsterbus on behalf of her constituents about there being Irish language signage on suburban buses.

The signage was an ad for language courses in the Alliance Française.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2014, 12:54:37 PM »

Back in the late 80s, Iris Robinson complained to Ulsterbus on behalf of her constituents about there being Irish language signage on suburban buses.

Along the same lines:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/478513.stm
(from 1999)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

Along the same lines:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/478513.stm
(from 1999)

bwhahahahahahahahaha

This is my favourite.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies