Northern Ireland General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:21:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Northern Ireland General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Northern Ireland General Discussion  (Read 49984 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: January 09, 2013, 12:19:29 PM »

Indeed. I was ashamed of Quebec during that long debate on the presence of the Canada flag in the Assembly, but, at least, there was no violence.

Well, I suppose it's a continuation of The Troubles.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 06:40:52 PM »

By this point, I view the Democratic Unionist Party (and other unionist hardliners) with the same scorn and contempt I have for the Republican Party here at home.  Sore losers the lot of them:

N.Ireland to miss deadline to break political impasse

Now that they are losing their grip on power, is the DUP deliberately trying to shred the Good Friday Agreement? 

The DUP never liked the GFA in the first place - that's the problem. And their mentality has only hardened as Brexit created the Irish Sea Border (or whatever name Sunak is calling it now) and as SF became the largest party in the last Assembly election.

They represent a bloc of voters who aren't happy with the GFA and are scared about their future and their communities.

Let's be honest here. Their voters are not scared about the future, they are upset and furious that Catholics are not second-class citizens anymore.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 07:30:53 PM »

Doesn't sound too dissimilar from the experiences of American colonialists when they visited the mother country prior to the war for independence:

The most effective cure for Northern Irish unionism? Attitudes in England

This is the saddest part (or most pitiful part) of Unionism for me; the NI unionist community are so deeply loyal to a people that by and large do not care about them. At all.

That is probably for the best for them. I doubt the intense protestantism, anti-catholism and the presbyterian antics would be liked at all by the average British person.

They are deeply loyal to a caricature of a certain type of sectarian Scottish Protestant that lived 70 years ago.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies