Any word on Bloomberg?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:59:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Any word on Bloomberg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any word on Bloomberg?  (Read 1252 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:38:15 AM »

When the ideas about Bloomberg running for president surfaced during the summer, almost everyone claimed that he wouldn't announce until the Republican and Democratic candidates had been decided upon, so that he could know his opposition and judge his shot of winning.

Well, that time is fast-approaching.  We'll almost definately have the candidates by February 6, if not sooner. So has anyone heard any other news relating to Bloomberg's possibilities, or have people pretty much stopped fantasizing about it?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 07:31:42 AM »

His political adviser said that if he were to run, he's have until the Texas primary in early March to decide, as the Republican primaries might not be over until then.  Bloomberg has also hired a foreign policy adviser, which indicates he might run.

I'm thinking that if Huckabee is the Republican nominee, Bloomberg's chances of running increase exponentially.  Any of the Democrats, though I think Obama more than Clinton, could influence Bloomberg to run.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 08:31:30 AM »

True, but he has also said numerous times that he isn't running.  So, flip a coin, and you have your answer.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:24:26 AM »

Who cares? There's another politician just like him running right now. His name is Rudy Giuliani.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »

he was in china this week giving speeches.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »

Who cares? There's another politician just like him running right now. His name is Rudy Giuliani.

I'll just say you have no idea what you're talking about and leave it at that.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »

I can only see Bloomberg running if each party nominates certain candidates. I think he will wait til the nominations are "de facto" set before deciding.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 01:39:30 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2007, 01:42:50 PM by Temporary Republican »

No seriously, other than being marginally more socially liberal, how is Bloomberg any different from Giuliani? They're both secular business-oriented Republicans who've basically endorsed Bush's approach to the War on Terror (re: Iraq*; Patriot Act). I see no major differences.

*Last I checked.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 01:51:09 PM »

I know. Bloomberg and Rudy are too much alike. I do think if Huckabee does win the nomination that Bloomberg may run. The GOP will have no chance at all. God I hope Rudy can win the nomination dispite losing the first primaries. I hope they dont mean as much as they once did. I dont see Huck beating any Democrat, and I'd hate for the religious right to walk us into a blowout just because abortion is their most important issue.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

No seriously, other than being marginally more socially liberal, how is Bloomberg any different from Giuliani? They're both secular business-oriented Republicans who've basically endorsed Bush's approach to the War on Terror (re: Iraq*; Patriot Act). I see no major differences.

*Last I checked.

Bloomberg has never, as far as I know, supported the Patriot Act, though I don't know that he's opposed it, either. (Really, as mayor, there's little reason for him to have commented.) As for Iraq, he did support it initially but hasn't commented on it in years; unlike Senators and Presidents, he didn't have inner knowledge of the intelligence that showed Bush's reasons for the invasion were false. He has not voiced any of the positions on those issues that Giuliani has any time within the past couple of years.

In any case, Bloomberg has been much less supportive of draconian law measures than Giuliani and brute-force policing, focusing primarily on fostering development within New York City. Unlike Giuliani, Bloomberg understands the importance of development in creating a successful society, and the true role of government in ensuring a strong and stable economy and society; Giuliani focused exclusively on being as bad as the gang to fight the gang.
gorkay

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »

I don't think he's going to run. If he is, he's fooling himself if he thinks he can succeed without doing the necessary spadework right now, which to my knowledge he isn't. Money is a requirement to run successfully for President, but it isn't the only one.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 06:46:05 PM »

*Last I checked.

Bloomberg has never, as far as I know, supported the Patriot Act, though I don't know that he's opposed it, either. (Really, as mayor, there's little reason for him to have commented.) As for Iraq, he did support it initially but hasn't commented on it in years; unlike Senators and Presidents, he didn't have inner knowledge of the intelligence that showed Bush's reasons for the invasion were false. He has not voiced any of the positions on those issues that Giuliani has any time within the past couple of years.

In any case, Bloomberg has been much less supportive of draconian law measures than Giuliani and brute-force policing, focusing primarily on fostering development within New York City. Unlike Giuliani, Bloomberg understands the importance of development in creating a successful society, and the true role of government in ensuring a strong and stable economy and society; Giuliani focused exclusively on being as bad as the gang to fight the gang.

Great comparison of Giuliani and Bloomberg.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 06:47:40 PM »

Bloomberg could win, under the right set of circumstances. I think he will run, though I'm far from certain. 60% chance, maybe.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 07:03:37 PM »

I don't think he'll run.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 10:40:14 PM »

*Last I checked.

As Mayor he supported the Patriot Act and among other things used it in conjunction with random Subway searches. Similarly, he's recently advocated for the establishment of a National ID card. There are similar articles out there stating his stance, but it's not that well publicized. That he hasn't really recanted his previously gung-ho stance on Iraq other than that he has "mixed feelings" following the discovery that there were no WMDs indicates that he's milquetoast at best on the War on Iraq. Basically, based on that Bloomberg just looks like a more toned down version of Rudy to me.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 12:38:06 AM »

*Last I checked.

As Mayor he supported the Patriot Act and among other things used it in conjunction with random Subway searches. Similarly, he's recently advocated for the establishment of a National ID card. There are similar articles out there stating his stance, but it's not that well publicized. That he hasn't really recanted his previously gung-ho stance on Iraq other than that he has "mixed feelings" following the discovery that there were no WMDs indicates that he's milquetoast at best on the War on Iraq. Basically, based on that Bloomberg just looks like a more toned down version of Rudy to me.

I think that's the stance that most people in the general public would take as well.  People in the New York metro may have more finely nuanced opinions of Bloomberg and Giuliani but I don't think that would translate well onto the national scene.  A Bloomberg candidacy is more likely to hurt any of the Republican candidates and with Giuliani it would probably create a nearly even split of the party.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies