Do Ron Paul supporters remind you of communists? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:10:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Do Ron Paul supporters remind you of communists? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do Ron Paul supporters remind you of communists?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Do Ron Paul supporters remind you of communists?  (Read 1824 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: December 10, 2007, 01:45:18 PM »

If you mean the sort of doctrinaire Trotskyites\Maoists from the 20s to about the late 70s then the answer is obviously yes.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »

So this is your line of thinking:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You fail to realize that neither of us right now are attacking libertarianism per se; rather the attitude of some of Pauls most devout supporters.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

I'm not American so I come from a very different angle than you, people wonder why then I post on this forum and the answer is simple.. apart from mere idle boredom, US Politics is the greatest spectator sport on earth.

But despite this I would agree you with both parties over there have long given up at any attempt at moral legitmitacy (though no doubt BRTD would disagree; that is for a different thread.)

What you fail to understand it is this thread isn't about Paul's beliefs or even about libertarianism (which I find to be an intolerant strain of American Ultra-Nationalism dressed up in the clothing of being an enlightment against the government, like it was some octopus with its oozy menancing tentacles in every jar of US society - which is somewhat true, but only because the people invited those tentacles there in the first place. But I digress..) rather this is about Ron Paul supporters - that's why the intrade thing is relevant; as it shows how deluded some of them are towards such a minor candidate - still.

One only needs to go onto any sort of right-libertarian or political in general website to find Ron Paul supporters waxing lyrical about his virtues; trying to ignore the fact that some of his biggest supporters are white supremactists and the black helicopters crowd or trying to ignore the flaws into their doctrine. You are not the worst of those types, but you still spout phrases such as "limited government" as if they were some unlimited virtue, ignoring the inherent problems of such a belief.

This is why "Ron Paulism" is borderline communistic in its rhetoric; it creates a narrative towards everything fits (Government - bad, business - good; very simple and appealing rhetoric; but how much those business - especially big business - depend on the government? For example. This is ignored or pathetically explained away - like Boss "I'm a Marxist now" Tweed trying to show us the old dead horse of fascism being a corporate conspiracy - elements of truth in that? Yes. But far from the whole story.) and this is also why Ron Paul is hardly taken seriously outside certain circles. Politics is about adapting to the problems inherent in reality. Ron Paul supporters believe and want - a different reality.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 02:42:56 PM »

You are cherry picking facts to suit your arguement; so actually here the thread should really be called "Are Ron Paul supporters the political equilavalents of creationists, like communists"?

What you have done is start off with a conclusion:
The Government is bad

Then found specific examples which back up your hypothesis without looking at every angle
Hurricane Katrina, The DoHS.. Interestingly in your case all stuff which has happened under Bush's watch.

Then came to your analysis from the above:
OMG TEH GOVERNMENT IS BAD!!111

Which is o\c the complete opposite of logical thinking, which I suppose is what we should be looking for in political debate. Similiar to the creationists, take a preconceived answer then try to discover things which to fit into that answer thereby "proving it".

Well I against State Education in general but your analysis here is flawed (you claim like most libertarians you want to take government out of major social appartus to give them to "the people" - sounds like communism to me. Though except o\c the people often means "Business" in the former case and "the politburo" in the latter case.) by focusing on what the department of Education has done not what it could do.

The idea behind most modern political ideologies (none of which I class myself as being a card carrying member of) is that use the social appartus of government to improve what you see the flaws of society. Here you are saying the Dept. of Education should be abolished because the people running it suck. Which isn't quite the same thing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies