Could FDR or JFK win today?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Could FDR or JFK win today?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could FDR or JFK win today?  (Read 3631 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:12:56 PM »

I was watching an episode of House last night, and they were talking about a Senator who planned on running for President despite having epilepsy.  One of the doctors mentioned two of the greatest presidents, FDR and JFK, and said JFK was the unhealthiest man ever in the White House.  House then said that neither would win today.  This got me thinking: could either of these men win today?  For that matter, would they even get the nomination?  Back then, the media didn't pry into the lives of politicians as much, so they could get away with being crippled, and having every disease known to man.  I don't think they would evne get their party's nomination if they had the chance, because the voters would not pick someone as unhealthy as these men.  What do you think?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 12:41:11 AM »

FDR definitely could win.  Being crippled by polio may have been something to hide in the 30s but I don't think having limited use of ones legs would be that big of a hindrance today.  As for JFK, his womanizing would be his doom rather than poor health.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:17:11 AM »

Health reasons might have hurt, also perhaps the issues both had with infidelity.

I think JFK might be ripped apart by the Democratic party today for being a "warmonger".
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:47:03 AM »

FDR and JFK--if they were alive today--would absolutely never win the White House...not because of health reasons, but because they would NEVER make it past the Democratic primaries.    Heck, the fact that FDR was a former Sec of the Navy would be enough to disqualify him in the eyes of most Dem primary voters

They would be torn apart by their own party and FDR/JFK Democrats like myself would be driven away from the Democratic Party.    The Democratic Party of the 1930s-1960s was run by adults.
gorkay

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:13:56 AM »

They would face more scrutiny nowadays about their health and would have to be more honest about it. But I don't think it would be an insurmountable obstacle for either of them, especially considering their other merits and the great appeal both possessed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

At least two of the GOP contenders this year have cancer.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 03:21:12 PM »

FDR could definately win. He probably would not even have polio if he were alive today. He was a brilliant politician, no matter your feelings about him. It would take a great political mind to defeat FDR, and I don't think one exists that would've been superior to him.

JFK had enough charisma to win. He likely would be just like brother Ted, only more popular. Sort of like Clinton. Everyone knew they had affairs, but a majority of people could really care less.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »

Generally people only care about politicians having affairs if they are a) hypocritical or lie or b) outside the mainstream in anyway (if that's the right phrase to use).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:03:48 PM »

FDR and JFK--if they were alive today--would absolutely never win the White House...not because of health reasons, but because they would NEVER make it past the Democratic primaries.    Heck, the fact that FDR was a former Sec of the Navy would be enough to disqualify him in the eyes of most Dem primary voters

They would be torn apart by their own party and FDR/JFK Democrats like myself would be driven away from the Democratic Party.    The Democratic Party of the 1930s-1960s was run by adults.

Um...no, especially not in FDR's case.  Most of the things FDR stood for are still very much in the mainstream of Democratic Party thought.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say he's still the defining figure in the Democratic Party.  Just think of the things he's associated with: the TVA/rural electrification, Social Security, the WPA, the NLRB, Court Justices staunchly opposed to the narrow construction of the Lochner Era...almost all of FDR's programs throughout the thirties are things I as a Democrat would strongly stand behind.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »

Heck, the fact that FDR was a former Sec of the Navy would be enough to disqualify him in the eyes of most Dem primary voters

which would explain why last time around the dems nominated a career politician with no real accomplishments largely on the basis of the fact that he was a Vietnam veteran who'd done great things 35 years earlier, right?

seriously the whole "dems hate the military" schtick is getting tiring. The only dem contender who's actually talking about cutting the miltary budget is Kuicinich. Just because dems oppose letting our glorious leader get us into short-sighted, suicidal wars doesn't mean they oppose the military. Wisdom and strength are not opposing values, despite what our great commander dubya, the overlord cheney, and the architect rove would have you believe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 02:31:10 AM »

Alan Keyes is a cancer, but I don't think that counts.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »

JFK woule be a Republican based on his ideas from OTL
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:12:18 PM »

I'm thinking the "NY/MA liberal" label would be the biggest problem.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 11:59:28 PM »

Alan Keyes is a cancer, but I don't think that counts.

I didn't know that he had cancer or was running.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 08:45:45 PM »

I would think Kennedy would have to run as a Republican today to get the nomination.  The two major parties have changed quite a bit since his day.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies