Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:31:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Best Realistic VP Candidate for Barack Obama?  (Read 7012 times)
gorkay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »

An older, more experienced, more moderate, very waspy WASP, preferably from either a swing state or a smaller state that he can guarantee to carry for the ticket. Take your pick from among the many possibilities.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2008, 09:42:35 PM »

He should pick someone who is white and moderate to shore up his weakness among white voters in general in states that he would need to win in order to beat McCain. 

As to whether that someone should be a man or a woman, a relative fresh-face or an experienced hand in Washington and abroad is entirely up to him, but whoever he picks better be at least a white centrist. 
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2008, 09:45:08 PM »

He should pick a white, moderate, Southern male with executive experience who supports Hillary: Mike Easley of North Carolina.  A very popular two term Governor, he might not swing NC, but he'll make a difference in states like NH, PA, OH, and MI, which are all states that Obama needs to win.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »

If you believe the polling right now I'd have to say Hillary Clinton is the only choice that gives him the chance to unite the party since if polling data for Democrats for Hillary who would support McCain or stay home if Obama wins is true Obama needs to unite the party as fast as he possibly can.

This is all assuming polling data is accurate, which it may not be.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2008, 10:09:02 PM »

Obama choosing Hillary as his running-mate is about as likely as him choosing either Al Gore or Bill Clinton.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:33 PM »

Obama choosing Hillary as his running-mate is about as likely as him choosing either Al Gore or Bill Clinton.

Haha this may very well be true but there would be no faster way of uniting the Democratic party, again this is assuming the above mentioned polls are accurate.
Governor PiT
Robert Stark
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -0.87

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2008, 05:22:52 PM »

Even Bayh to make peace with Clinton supporters without choosing Clinton and appeal to swing voters in Ohio.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2008, 03:30:31 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2008, 03:32:34 AM by Sapiens Unus »

Both Biden and Clark are gaffe-machines, which is not the greatest trait in a running mate.

Whilst that is true, none come worse than that Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin. But the McCain campaign will have nothing to worry about there. If Senator McCain is to select anyone as his running mate in 2008 its either going to be Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina or former Governor Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania. The latter choice should make Pennsylvania quite competitive.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 03:42:58 AM »

Both Biden and Clark are gaffe-machines, which is not the greatest trait in a running mate.

Whilst that is true, none come worse than that Governor of Alaska Sarah Palin. But the McCain campaign will have nothing to worry about there. If Senator McCain is to select anyone as his running mate in 2008 its either going to be Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina or former Governor Tom Ridge of Pennsylvania. The latter choice should make Pennsylvania quite competitive.

Lol.  Anyway, I changed my mind somewhat on Biden since the time I wrote that.  Yes, he's a gaffe machine, but most of his gaffes are fairly innocuous.  I still think, however, that Clark as Obama's running mate would have been disastrous.  *His* gaffes lead one to think that the guy will believe any crazy conspiracy theory that he comes across.

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2008, 03:49:59 AM »

I still think, however, that Clark as Obama's running mate would have been disastrous.

Agreed. I like General Clark, but he wouldn't have been the best selection Obama could have made.

Anywho, as much as I was critical of Obama's selection of Senator Biden at the time, in hindsight it was the best selection he could have made when selecting a running mate.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2008, 06:29:53 PM »

Even though Biden worked just fine, I still think Obama should've picked somebody who reinforced the whole change message better.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »

I think Biden was the right pick for Obama. After Wesley Clark endorsed Hillary Clinton, Biden became my #1 choice and I was thrilled when he was announced as the VP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2008, 04:18:37 PM »

Biden would be a nice fit, but I think Clark would really be great.

Wow. Did I say that? Smiley
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »

I don't understand the Biden pick.  If he wanted someone with foreign policy credentials, he should've picked Sam Nunn.  I think Kerry should've picked him, too.  
Workers' Friend
Bob Dole
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: 9.48

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2008, 05:12:09 PM »

If he wanted women - Hillary Clinton
If he wanted foreign policy - Sam Nunn
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »

If he wanted women - Hillary Clinton
If he wanted foreign policy - Sam Nunn

Didn't he end up winning both women and foreign policy voters anyway? ...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »

I don't understand the Biden pick.  If he wanted someone with foreign policy credentials, he should've picked Sam Nunn.  I think Kerry should've picked him, too.  

Nunn's symbolism as a homophobe would have hurt Obama in some circles/blogospheres while Biden was a neutral, calming choice.  Ultimately the best VP is one that doesn't ruffle any feathers - since it's pretty rare for a VP to deliver a significant positive.  The more you hear about a VP pick, the more trouble that VP pick is getting into.

Biden did a good job by only breaking into the news cycle one or two times.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies