Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.  (Read 8540 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »

It appears that a Jew and a non-theist voted Nay, everyone else voting Nay was Christian, and 5 Jews voted Present, everyone else being Christian. Interesting.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 10:36:25 PM »

Gosh. I expected better out of my Representative, Mike Honda. I need to be redistricted into Pete Stark's district. IMMEDIATELY.

I no longer support Kucinich for President. Viva Mike Gravel!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 10:52:08 PM »

Kucinich is easily the best candidate running.

Gravel has some really nutty ideas, including his tax reform proposal.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »

Kucinich is easily the best candidate running.

Gravel has some really nutty ideas, including his tax reform proposal.

That implies that Kucinich does not have nutty ideas, which is, of course, incorrect, even compared to your positions. (Not that I support Gravel's tax plan.)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 11:04:14 PM »

That implies that Kucinich does not have nutty ideas, which is, of course, incorrect, even compared to your positions.

Kucinich's positions are essentially mainstream liberal.  Just because he's short or claims to have seen a UFO are not valid rebuttals of his policies.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007, 09:41:09 AM »

That implies that Kucinich does not have nutty ideas, which is, of course, incorrect, even compared to your positions.

Kucinich's positions are essentially mainstream liberal.  Just because he's short or claims to have seen a UFO are not valid rebuttals of his policies.

Reagan constantly claimed to have seen UFOs (I think Carter did too, but I can't be certain..). Then there was that mystic stuff with his wife and also his unusual readings of the Book of revelation which often fed into some of his speeches... So clearly senile\mad\kooks can't be elected to the White house.

Wow, this is quite possible the boldest move I've ever seen Congress take.  Those Christians are so persecuted and downtrodden.  I mean it's not as if the United States is 75% Christian or anything.  Perhaps next Congress will pass a resolution celebrating kittens.

The funny there is that, considering this congress, I am not sure whether that should be sarcasm or not..
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »

Why did Pence vote present? Was he opposed because he thought this resolution didn't go far enough?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »

Why did Pence vote present? Was he opposed because he thought this resolution didn't go far enough?

No I think, I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe he made a promise not to vote for any stupid pointless resolutions of this sort, non-binding resolutions and the like, because they were a waste of tax payer money. That would seem like the only logical reason he would vote present.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 04:43:59 PM »

No I think, I don't remember where I heard this, but I believe he made a promise not to vote for any stupid pointless resolutions of this sort, non-binding resolutions and the like, because they were a waste of tax payer money. That would seem like the only logical reason he would vote present.

Kudos to him for taking a stand against these nonsense resolutions.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »

What's wrong with this? Apart from the time thing?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 04:49:45 PM »

It's completely pointless.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »

Who cares. Sure, its great, but we have other things to do.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »

What's wrong with this? Apart from the time thing?

The fact that they felt the need to go "yay Christians!" in a country that is 75% Christian.  It's one of those things that really does not need to be said, and when it is said, it comes across more as retarded feel-good politics to improve people's impressions of Congress than as a truly heartfelt statement.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2007, 10:00:01 PM »

I personally think the Christmas and Ramadan resolutions were pointless.  There was 1 other resolution, and I think it was Hanukah, but I'm not 100% positive - anyway, all wastes of time IMO.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2007, 11:15:25 PM »

I personally think the Christmas and Ramadan resolutions were pointless.

See, when Inks thinks that something commending Christians and Christmas is pointless, you know it's pointless. Wink
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 09:58:37 AM »

Considering Chrisitans are the most persecuted group in the country, this is a great measure.  Nothing give you more of chance of getting in trouble than being a rich white Christian male.  You can't claim discrimination left and right, you can't claim affirmative action, and everyone can claim you discriminate against them
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 11:15:21 AM »

Considering Chrisitans are the most persecuted group in the country, this is a great measure.  Nothing give you more of chance of getting in trouble than being a rich white Christian male.  You can't claim discrimination left and right, you can't claim affirmative action, and everyone can claim you discriminate against them

Not saying I support persecution of Christians, but they have been in the majority for 250 years, are still the strong majority in every state, effectively control every facet of the government, and persecuted as they may be, are hardly at any great risk...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 11:25:18 AM »

I think you may have a point, but certainly you realize this is a worthless symbolic action that will do nothing to reconcile such issues.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »

The 2001 Census has 76.5% of the US population identify as Christian, but just because someone says "Christian" on a census form, it doesn't mean they're actually Christian.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »

The 2001 Census has 76.5% of the US population identify as Christian, but just because someone says "Christian" on a census form, it doesn't mean they're actually Christian.
The Census does not ask religious data in any way or form. You may be thinking of the ARDA's "census", in which case the figure is the aggregate membership in those established churches taking part in the ARDA's census, and thus an undercount.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 11:49:02 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2007, 12:09:16 PM by Alcon »

As Lewis said, it's illegal for the U.S. Census to ask religious questions.

Even if you assumed that 100% of the non-religious population was hostile to Christians, you'd have to assume that about a third of the self-identified Christian population was also hostile to Christianity.  That seems unlikely.  Christians may be persecuted, but unlike other groups DWTL does not belong to nor shows much empathy for (go figure), they have not been politically oppressed in the United States.

The Census does not ask religious data in any way or form. You may be thinking of the ARDA's "census", in which case the figure is the aggregate membership in those established churches taking part in the ARDA's census, and thus an undercount.

He's actually using the ARIS (warning: PDF) numbers, which was a telephone survey and thus did not have the undercounting problem that ARDA has.  The ARIS indicates that the U.S. Christian population fell from 86.2% in 1990 to 76.5% in 2001.  Other religions increased from 3.3% to 3.7%.  Non-religion increased from 8.2% to 14.1%, while "refuse to say" jumped from 2.3% to 5.4%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »

Thanks Alcoun!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:01 PM »

Especially bad in the Deep South as a lot of black churches didn't participate.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »

While Christians may not be oppressed in the US, they certainly are elsewhere.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:56 PM »

While Christians may not be oppressed in the US, they certainly are elsewhere.

Doubtlessly, but passing a meaningless resolution that does nothing to anyone, U.S. or otherwise, is a political/emotional play, not a practical one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies