Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:42:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Congress reminds us that Christians are awesome.  (Read 8543 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2007, 04:29:53 PM »

I'm sure some of the Christians on this board were called "Bible-bashers" at school.

That... is not even close to "persecution".
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2007, 04:34:33 PM »

There are 6 non-religious members of the U.S. House of Representatives,

lol

Oh, you mean officially.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »

You're right, but it's still not acceptable.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2007, 04:47:05 PM »

While name calling isn't nice; I don't think that's what this resolution was about.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »

No, but neither is Christians doing similar things to other people, which also happens... the idea that Christians have it much worse than others in the United States is just false.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2007, 04:48:26 PM »

There are 6 non-religious members of the U.S. House of Representatives,

lol

Oh, you mean officially.

Yes, granted.  Tongue

But the fact that they have to be closeted about their non-religiousness leads little credence to DWTL's argument.

No, and I would be more than happy to see them take up religious persecution as a major issue, were it not:

1. Watered-down symbolism
2. Limited to Christians only
3. Limited to American Christians only

But if you think that simple, dumb name-calling (the worse "persecution" that Christians face in this country on a large scale) is worth a resolution, I think we have bigger fish to fry.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2007, 04:58:30 PM »

It's not limited to American Christians only. Read the resolution.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

But the fact that they have to be closeted about their non-religiousness leads little credence to DWTL's argument.

Oh, I'm well aware of that. Might even be the reason for posting it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »

It's not limited to American Christians only. Read the resolution.

Well, OK, fair enough.  The non-binding, meaningless, vague resolution is a non-effective gesture toward Christians worldwide, not just in America.  Hooray.  Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »

I personally think the Christmas and Ramadan resolutions were pointless.

See, when Inks thinks that something commending Christians and Christmas is pointless, you know it's pointless. Wink

I mean - I would've voted for it if it came up for a vote, but it's sad that we waste our time saying "Chrsitmas is AWESOME" and "Ramadan is GREAT" - get to some real issues - this Congress has to be the worst do-nothing Congress I've ever seen.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2007, 05:32:04 PM »

Believe it or not, Christians in this country are persecuted, though not as severely as our brethren in third-world countries.

In America, you have the ACLU, which I call the Anti Christian Litigation Unit, tries to stamp out all forms of Christianity there is and would even be overjoyed at every person that professes to know Christ be thrown in jail and executed.  They try to take Christ out of Christmas (Yes, Christmas is a Christian holiday).  They took prayer out of our schools.  They take the Ten Commandments off our courtroom walls.  They throw you in jail for praying on the steps of the US Capitol.  Believe me, folks, there is a war going on.  The war is raging between the forces of the Prince of the Air (Satan) and the Saints of God (Christians).  Fortunately, though, no matter how bad it gets, The Bible gives this one promise that every Christian who genuinely has asked Christ to come into their hearts to save them can hold on to:  We know who wins the war in the end.  Satan while he is still fighting, knows he has been defeated.  He knows he is doomed to the lake of fire, which is Hell.  He is just trying to bring as many people as he can with him.  To rephrase what the famed radio talk show host Paul Harvey would say "We know the rest of the story".  This battle that I'm talking about is not fought with swords or guns or cannons or armored vehicles.  It is fought on our hands and knees praying and crying out to our God.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2007, 05:52:40 PM »

Alcon: who are the 6 non-religious Reps?  Are you counting Pete Stark (who's officially a UU)?

DWDL: LOL!  Rich white Christian males are persecuted?!  If you're rich, you can buy your way out of anything, and have automatic access to all sorts of benefits in a system where the poor can never become rich and the rich become richer; if you're white, you're much less likely to be targeted by law enforcement (and if you are, again, you can just buy your way out of it).  You don't even need to be Christian and/or male to get all of those benefits, although I'm sure it helps.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2007, 05:58:08 PM »

In America, you have the ACLU, which I call the Anti Christian Litigation Unit, tries to stamp out all forms of Christianity there is and would even be overjoyed at every person that professes to know Christ be thrown in jail and executed.

Actually, the ACLU has defended Christians before (such as a case where a girl wanted to sing "Awesome God" at a public school talent night, and the ACLU came to her defense).

They are simply against what they see as any religious intervention in political affairs.  They have been strong defenders of various religious groups, including the Rastafarians and even the Westboro Baptist Church.

They try to take Christ out of Christmas (Yes, Christmas is a Christian holiday).

You're still calling it Christmas, aren't you?

Anyone who wants to pray in school can still do it if they want to.  As far as I'm aware, prayer is a private conversation between yourself and God.  No one's stopping you from praying anywhere you want on school grounds.

They take the Ten Commandments off our courtroom walls.

Uhh, the fact that the Ten Commandments would even be on courtroom laws illustrates just what an advantage you have.  Imagine if a court tried to post the Muslim pillars of faith on the wall!  You would be screaming bloody murder, not freedom of religion.

What does having the Ten Commandments in a courtroom help anyway?

They throw you in jail for praying on the steps of the US Capitol.

lol.  Yeah I doubt it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2007, 05:59:26 PM »

The ACLU also defended the right of a teacher to wear a cross necklace to school.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »

Alcon: who are the 6 non-religious Reps?  Are you counting Pete Stark (who's officially a UU)?

Neil Abercrombie, Tammy Baldwin, Earl Blumenauer, John Olver, John Tierney and Mark Udall
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2007, 06:58:54 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2007, 07:03:09 PM by Alcon »

Believe it or not, Christians in this country are persecuted, though not as severely as our brethren in third-world countries.

Agreed, so far.

In America, you have the ACLU, which I call the Anti Christian Litigation Unit, tries to stamp out all forms of Christianity there is and would even be overjoyed at every person that professes to know Christ be thrown in jail and executed.

As Porce says, while the ACLU certainly may have an unfortunate (IMHO) bias toward leftist causes, they have defended religious cases too.  And, trust me, even if the ACLU wanted to throw all Christians in jail for their beliefs (what the hell, dude, seriously?), you think that 50% of even atheists support that?  And in a country that identifies over 3-to-1 as Christian.  Please.

They try to take Christ out of Christmas (Yes, Christmas is a Christian holiday).

Thanks for letting us know.

Are we still talking about the ACLU, or have we now moved onto the general Them?  There are people who are overzealous about trying to take religion out of the public square, yes.  There are people who are overzealous about trying to put religion in it.  Which do you think is closer, in a 3-to-1 Christian nation, of controlling the public square?

That's odd.  I've sat still, eyes closed, hands together, and no one's told me to cut it out.

They throw you in jail for praying on the steps of the US Capitol.

Just because you are Right With Jesus does not mean you are also right with the District of Columbia Office of Permits.  Beyond that little bit of snark, I'll need actual details to reply.  Tongue

Believe me, folks, there is a war going on.  The war is raging between the forces of the Prince of the Air (Satan) and the Saints of God (Christians).

And downhill we go.

Fortunately, though, no matter how bad it gets, The Bible gives this one promise that every Christian who genuinely has asked Christ to come into their hearts to save them can hold on to:  We know who wins the war in the end.  Satan while he is still fighting, knows he has been defeated.  He knows he is doomed to the lake of fire, which is Hell.  He is just trying to bring as many people as he can with him.  To rephrase what the famed radio talk show host Paul Harvey would say "We know the rest of the story".  This battle that I'm talking about is not fought with swords or guns or cannons or armored vehicles.  It is fought on our hands and knees praying and crying out to our God.

Oh.

Somehow, I thought it sane to believe that the battle against evil was fought by being honest to yourself, morally decent, loving other human beings, and fighting earnestly and justly against things you believe to be wrong.

But now I see that I cannot do this without being a Christian.  Obviously, Satan has a hold on me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2007, 08:57:40 PM »

Christians suffer real persecution in other parts of the world, but in this country they've got it pretty easy. Think about it - when was the last time you heard of someone being beaten up or killed for being Christian in this country? Now how about someone who was gay or black? I'm betting you probably drew a blank on the former, but you've probably heard about numerous examples of the latter.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2007, 11:49:32 AM »

Ah, but the difference between elected power and actual power is huge.  You don't think some people heading up large corporations do not have a large amount of influence?  And again, their is a difference between your power holder and your common man.  Why should I suffer (and believe me I fed up of this crap because I do suffer from these laws with my outspokenness) because my people are in power when I have nothing to do with it?

Enumerate your suffering, if you would.  Does it break your itty-bitty heart that people don't express their love and adoration of Christians and Christianity twenty-four hours a day?

Your inability to understand in even vaguely correct terms the real meaning of the word "persecution" underscores how ridiculously pampered your existence really is and how frivolous your complaints really are.
I am constantly getting in trouble in school because say the things I say are racially motivated when at the same time kids say things against Christians and it is OK.  The common thing I see here is "Christians are the majority so shut up we can do whatever we want to you."
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »

Ah, but the difference between elected power and actual power is huge.  You don't think some people heading up large corporations do not have a large amount of influence?  And again, their is a difference between your power holder and your common man.  Why should I suffer (and believe me I fed up of this crap because I do suffer from these laws with my outspokenness) because my people are in power when I have nothing to do with it?

Enumerate your suffering, if you would.  Does it break your itty-bitty heart that people don't express their love and adoration of Christians and Christianity twenty-four hours a day?

Your inability to understand in even vaguely correct terms the real meaning of the word "persecution" underscores how ridiculously pampered your existence really is and how frivolous your complaints really are.
I am constantly getting in trouble in school because say the things I say are racially motivated when at the same time kids say things against Christians and it is OK.  The common thing I see here is "Christians are the majority so shut up we can do whatever we want to you."

So the fact that some 16-year-olds aren't nice to you means that Christians are a persecuted majority?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »

Neil Abercrombie, Tammy Baldwin, Earl Blumenauer, John Olver, John Tierney and Mark Udall

Udall's a Mormon.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2007, 04:18:15 PM »

Congress reminds us that it's worthless and they discuss sh**tty pieces of legislation like this.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2007, 07:54:54 PM »

This was dumb, but the people who say that this is dumber than other resolutions praising other religions because Christians are a majority in this country are dumber.

Let's just have an amendment to the Constitution banning resolutions and the like.  Seriously.  A waste of time.  These congressmen have lives, they don't need to waste their time voting on nonsense.

But if we ban this sort of meaningless drivel, what will happen to all of the lovely attack ads during election seasons? They're so much fun to twist and spin Sad

James McDermott: he voted against Christmas!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2007, 08:10:48 PM »

Well, maybe you would stop getting in trouble at school if you stopped being racist.

I really don't think that punishing a student who happens to be a Christian for racially insensitive remarks is the persecution of Christians.

Way back in the days of Shakespeare, anti-Semitism was rampant; Jews were shunned, were routinely portrayed in hideous caricatures, were forced to wear a red hat to identify themselves, were forced to live in a ghetto to keep them away from good Christian folk, were barred from owning land or entering the professions, and this list goes on and on.  That is persecution.  Being punished for saying racially insensitive remarks (which you would undoubtedly get punished for even if you weren't a Christian) is not persecution, and as I said, the fact that you think it is underscores how comfortable your life really is.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2007, 08:44:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not quite true; well some of it is but only in certain areas and yes Anti-semitism was rampant during this period. But what is important to realize that the reason why Jews became associated with certain professions - ie. Banking, certain types of small business - was due to the Catholic church's ban on Usury (ie. Lending money at interest) during the Middle ages, but as there was demand for a such service the biggest non-Catholic minority were those who were advantaged. This is where the whole "Jewish Bankers" stereotype (and not the only one) comes in.

Of course by the time of the Nazis; all that was only a truth in history. Only the Rothschilds (who weren't medevil) were left; didn't stop alot of anti-semitism spreading from generation to generation (as alot of anti-semitism, though not all of it - far from it, is often associated with a rejection of what can be seen as "urban values".)

All this does not o\c mean that DWDL is not a deluded plank who should move to somewhere East-St Louis pronto.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2007, 09:05:14 PM »

Way back in the days of Shakespeare, anti-Semitism was rampant; Jews were shunned, were routinely portrayed in hideous caricatures, were forced to wear a red hat to identify themselves, were forced to live in a ghetto to keep them away from good Christian folk, were barred from owning land or entering the professions, and this list goes on and on. 

But not in the country that Shakespeare lived in. Because it was illegal to be Jewish in England at the time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies