Quebec secession (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:25:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec secession (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Quebec secession  (Read 4512 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: August 20, 2004, 12:36:06 AM »
« edited: August 20, 2004, 12:42:17 AM by Gabu »

Probably not but I wish they did. Then America would have a chance fo take over English Canada.

hahaha!

Which brings up an interesting question.  If Quebec DID secede, are there any other provinces that might think joining the USA was a good idea?  Lets hear from you Canadians out there.

I think BC would probably be the most likely (besides Québec) to break away from Canada.  There's a strong sense of alienation from the federal government here; a lot of people think that Ottawa thinks that we don't matter.

However, while BC is the most likely to, I don't personally think any province would go for it.  Québec already put it up to a referendum and it was shot down, and there's even an entire party in Québec whose entire platform is pretty much secession from Canada (the Bloc Québecois).  The BQ sometimes even gets a majority of the seats in Québec, as was the case in the last general election, and the referendum still failed.  Even if it did succeed sometime later, the fact is that it's not a widely supported idea.  I don't think a Québec secession would provoke a domino effect.

The bottom line is that from what I know, even people who live in provinces that feel alienated from the federal government still feel a strong sense of attachment to Canada itself, so I personally doubt that any province will be going anywhere.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 05:23:08 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2004, 05:23:36 AM by Gabu »

Probably not but I wish they did. Then America would have a chance fo take over English Canada.

hahaha!
Which brings up an interesting question.  If Quebec DID secede, are there any other provinces that might think joining the USA was a good idea?  Lets hear from you Canadians out there.

Fritz, I am obviously not Canadian but I recall back in the early 70's when bombings were too common in Quebec and the secessionists were seemingly forcing the issue with violence. some provinces actually contacted the State Department about the process of statehood admission. As I recollect Henry Kissinger basically told them there was no way he could address their questions until they made their position known to Ottawa. Again from memory, I believe the provinces that expressed an interest were Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. This was some 30 years ago so I expect things have changed greatly.

That was during the days of the existance of the separatist group, Front du Libération du Québec (FLQ).  The FLQ was essentially a terrorist organization who believed that the only way Québec could survive was to have a revolution overthrowing the provincial government and to establish Québec as a separate nation.  They killed at least five people through bombings and gunfire (and one hostage they took was killed) before Pierre Trudeau decided to invoke the War Measures Act to declare martial law and send the Canadian military to Québec to stop them.

Given that neither the FLQ nor any group like it is in existance in Canada anymore, yes, I would say that things have indeed changed greatly since then.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:21:37 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2007, 05:27:29 PM by SoFA Gabu »

If I lived in Quebec I would probably be for it

Why?  Quebec receives a ridiculously disproportionate amount of concessions from the federal government, and still they whine and threaten secession.

bunch of ingrates, all of them, mumble mumble...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies