Obama '10?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:27:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Obama '10?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama '10?  (Read 4970 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »

Is there any chance that, if he fails to win the Democratic nomination in 2008, Obama decides to run for Governor of Illinois is 2010, rather than seek another Senate term, so that he will have executive experience in 2016?
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 06:50:45 PM »

I had never thought of that one.  Its certainly an interesting idea.  I think Obama will be elected President in 2008 though, in which Blagojevich will get to appoint a replacement for him.  I might start a thread in Congressional Elections about who that would be. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »

I don't think 6 years as governor vs. 6 more years as a Senator would make much difference.  Plus remaining in the Senate keeps the national spotlight more focused on him and if Democrats continue to remain in charge he could end up with significant power there as the remaining GI Generation Senators retire or die and new Gen X Senators are ushered in.
Rococo4

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:52:15 PM »

I think it would happen if he doesnt win the Dem nomination.  He would win for sure while ride in as a hero for replacing Blago.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »

I disagree with Padfoot.  Obama would have experience as an administrator of a large government, something he's lacking.

I think it makes a difference as it did with Carter, Reagan, Clinton and G.W. Bush.
Julian Francis
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »

I cannot imagine Barack Obama as Governor of Illinois though it is a very interesting idea. I bet you all that if Obama loses the Democrats nod to Hillary in 2008, he'll opt to go with another term in the Senate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »

I don't think 6 years as governor vs. 6 more years as a Senator would make much difference.  Plus remaining in the Senate keeps the national spotlight more focused on him and if Democrats continue to remain in charge he could end up with significant power there as the remaining GI Generation Senators retire or die and new Gen X Senators are ushered in.

6 years as Governor gives him a lot of executive experience.  That way, he will have a great argument in terms of experience.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 01:39:53 AM »

The complication is that Attorney General Lisa Madigan has been expected to run for Governor since her election in 2002. Her father, Speaker of the House Mike Madigan, did not agree with Obama on the nominee for Comptroller in 2006, with Obama's choice eventually coming out on top. It would be difficult to see Lisa stepping back for Barack, particularly if Blagojevich remains intent on a run for a third term in 2010.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »

The complication is that Attorney General Lisa Madigan has been expected to run for Governor since her election in 2002. Her father, Speaker of the House Mike Madigan, did not agree with Obama on the nominee for Comptroller in 2006, with Obama's choice eventually coming out on top. It would be difficult to see Lisa stepping back for Barack, particularly if Blagojevich remains intent on a run for a third term in 2010.

Is he not term limited?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »

Unfortunately not.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »

If he loses in 2008, then I would recommend he stay in the Senate through another full term which would expire in 2016 then try it again.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 10:47:58 PM »

How about Hillary for Sewage Inspector '10? She seems to know her way around piles of effluent...
ill ind

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »

Muon

Obama and Michael Madigan disagreed on who to back fo State Treasurer in the last election, not Comptroller.  Obama backed Alexi Giannoulias and Madgan Stu Umholtz.  Madigan still appears steamed that Alexi wiped out his candidate.  I believe that both backed Danny Hines for Comptroller even though he ran against Obama for Senate in the 2004 Dem primary.

That aside, I agree with you--I see Lisa Madigan running for Governor and Obama staying put in the Senate.  A Blagojevich/Madigan primary would be an interesting race.  I find it hard to believe that given his poll standings Blagojevich would attempt to run in 2010, but given his ego, I sure wouldn't be suprised.

Ill Ind
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

In Illinois in 2010 it's going to be Lisa Madigan vs. Dan Hynes and Andy McKenna for the republicans and Lisa Madigan should be the favorite, Obama will stay in the senate should he not win the election. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 10:52:58 PM »

Muon

Obama and Michael Madigan disagreed on who to back fo State Treasurer in the last election, not Comptroller.  Obama backed Alexi Giannoulias and Madgan Stu Umholtz.  Madigan still appears steamed that Alexi wiped out his candidate.  I believe that both backed Danny Hines for Comptroller even though he ran against Obama for Senate in the 2004 Dem primary.

That aside, I agree with you--I see Lisa Madigan running for Governor and Obama staying put in the Senate.  A Blagojevich/Madigan primary would be an interesting race.  I find it hard to believe that given his poll standings Blagojevich would attempt to run in 2010, but given his ego, I sure wouldn't be suprised.

Ill Ind

Good catch. Thanks.
ill ind

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 08:58:05 AM »

Muon

You know, I messed this up too.   How easy it is to forget the downticket also-rans here in illinois.  Stu Umholtz was the GOP candidate against Lisa Madigan for Attorney General.  It was Paul Mangieri who Michael Madigan endorsed against Alexi Giannoulias in the Dem primary for State Treaurer.   I see that the State Democratic Party Website finally lists Giannoulias as one of its own.  For a long time he wasn't on there.  Obviously Chairman Madigan was still sore that his chosen candidate got the boot.  Anyways, hopefully, the facts are finally straight.

To keep on topic, I see Lisa Madigan running in 2010 and not Obama. 

Ill Ind
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »

You're only supposed to bump threads when they suddenly acquire new relevance.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 07:35:09 PM »

You're only supposed to bump threads when they suddenly acquire new relevance.

My bad
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 01:14:46 PM »

This thread has become completely unnecessary.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »

Yeah its more Clinton '10 at the moment.  Or perhaps Huckabee? 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

Yeah its more Clinton '10 at the moment.  Or perhaps Huckabee? 

I don't think Huckabee can run for governor again. Although maybe you meant Senator, but I doubt he could defeat Pryor or Lincoln. I could see Clinton running for Governor if Eliot Spitzer decides not to run, though, and then try to make a comeback politically in 2016. (Doubt she'd manage a comeback, but she could hope.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies