Alabama County Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alabama County Map
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alabama County Map  (Read 3597 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2007, 09:32:17 PM »

Looking at state maps for the 2004 election today, and I click on Alabama and see a distinctive horizontal streak of red dividing the map in half. Is there any geographic significance behind this or it just a fun coincidence?

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 09:36:57 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2007, 09:39:00 PM by meekermariner »

It's called the Black Belt. Originally it was called that because a lot of the soil was black, nowadays it's name is also appropriate because it's where a large portion of the state's African-American population lives. Why do they live there? It's where the pre-Civil War plantations were.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Belt_%28region_of_Alabama%29

Black soil --> plantations --> black slaves --> large freed black populations --> Democratic voters
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »

Yes all of those counties are majority black except for Russell on the east. Interestingly Marengo County (near the west touching six other red counties) is also majority black yet voted for Bush.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 10:48:49 PM »

Yes all of those counties are majority black except for Russell on the east. Interestingly Marengo County (near the west touching six other red counties) is also majority black yet voted for Bush.

Low voter turnout perhaps? Alabama has a rather low voter turnout overall.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 11:12:04 PM »

I don't think Kerry was the best choice to mobilize black voters.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:13:32 PM »

Black voters are more Democratic than whites are Republican, but turn out less.  It tends to balance out, but not always.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 02:29:38 AM »

Looking at state maps for the 2004 election today, and I click on Alabama and see a distinctive horizontal streak of red dividing the map in half. Is there any geographic significance behind this or it just a fun coincidence?

This was one of the worst performances for a Democrat in Alabama since George McGovern in 1972.   Usually even the weakest of Democrats since then have carried at least a few of the Northern blue collar counties.   
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »

The swing map is also interesting

gorkay

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »

Speaking of the African-American vote: I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of what Barack Obama getting the Democratic nomination could mean for Democratic possibilities in the south. Could a massive turnout of African-American voters in southern states with large African-American politicians, many of whom may have never voted or even registered in the past, swing some of these states to the Democrats?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:41:20 PM »

I doubt it. The states with large enough black populations for there to be a huge effect are all solidly Republican (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana). Where it would matter, I'd think, would be in the Congressional races, where heavy African-American turnout could help Democrats in many Southern districts.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 06:50:36 PM »

Speaking of the African-American vote: I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of what Barack Obama getting the Democratic nomination could mean for Democratic possibilities in the south. Could a massive turnout of African-American voters in southern states with large African-American politicians, many of whom may have never voted or even registered in the past, swing some of these states to the Democrats?

I think SurveyUSA has info like that, but you have to pay quite a large fee in order to see it. As I recall, Obama could win pretty easily in every area except the racist Midwest.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 08:28:44 PM »

As I recall, Obama could win pretty easily in every area except the racist Midwest.

I'm not sure how you're defining the Midwest, but I've thought about it as MN, IA, MO, IL, WI, IN, MI, and OH. Obama certainly is very popular in Illinois, and could win every Midwestern state I listed except Indiana and perhaps Missouri.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 09:24:09 PM »

I think SurveyUSA has info like that, but you have to pay quite a large fee in order to see it. As I recall, Obama could win pretty easily in every area except the racist Midwest.

The midwest isn't notably racist, at least not any more than any other part of the country. If anything, the fact that there is a relative lack of racial tension in these heavily white states will help him.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »

I think that the affect of the Obama candidacy on the South would be especially interesting.  If African Americans really did turnout in large numbers, he might get up to 45% in Mississippi, and he could pick up on the residual strength of the coalition of overwhelming black support and 40% white support that almost elected Ford to the Senate in Tennessee.  Maybe.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 11:40:01 AM »

As I recall, Obama could win pretty easily in every area except the racist Midwest.

I'm not sure how you're defining the Midwest, but I've thought about it as MN, IA, MO, IL, WI, IN, MI, and OH. Obama certainly is very popular in Illinois, and could win every Midwestern state I listed except Indiana and perhaps Missouri.

I define it more as WI, MN, IA, IL, MO, NE, KS, ND, SD, MI, and MT. I doubt he'd do very well in any Plain state or Montana.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 05:58:55 PM »

I define it more as WI, MN, IA, IL, MO, NE, KS, ND, SD, MI, and MT. I doubt he'd do very well in any Plain state or Montana.

Obama won't do very well in the Plains states or Montana, but I doubt he'd do much worse than the other Dems. Also, none of those states will be carried by any Democrat in a competitive election.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2007, 01:35:51 AM »

It is the area where large-scale slave plantation was prevalent.   It actually continues in an arc across Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and far southeastern Virginia.  It doesn't really get to far into eastern Mississippi, where the plantation area was along the Mississippi River, especially in the northwest area known as the Mississippi Delta.

For Georgia, see the 1984 map, South Carolina, 1988, and North Carolina the 1968 map.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2007, 02:13:23 AM »

I doubt it. The states with large enough black populations for there to be a huge effect are all solidly Republican (Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana). Where it would matter, I'd think, would be in the Congressional races, where heavy African-American turnout could help Democrats in many Southern districts.

He would probably help Jim Marshall in GA-08, whose district is 35% black.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2007, 03:48:20 AM »

Based on what? Being black is going to be LESS of an issue in states with low racial tensions, which is what the lily-white described are, not MORE.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies