Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:19:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joe Lieberman to endorse John McCain  (Read 9114 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« on: December 16, 2007, 10:14:08 PM »
« edited: December 16, 2007, 10:43:38 PM by Gabu »

I see no problem here.  The man can endorse whoever he wants.

It's not just the endorsement itself, but the way in which he continues to maintain a pretense of still being a Democrat.  I hate the term "DINO" when it's misused, but in Lieberman's case, he certainly seems to be going down the route of Zell Miller.  I honestly would not be surprised to see Lieberman speaking at the 2008 Republican convention.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 12:16:57 AM »

Words cannot express how disappointed I am to hear this.

I'm not disappointed; that would imply I expected otherwise. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:59:13 AM »

Our country would be a lot better off there were more McCains and Liebermans in Washington and a lot less Pelosis and Reids.

Was the country fantastic before 2007?  Because that's basically what complete Republican control looks like.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 01:08:42 AM »

The problem is, Lieberman is still extremely liberal on social and environmental issues.

Yes, but the second problem is that Lieberman doesn't seem to particularly care anything except for the war.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 04:27:37 PM »

I can't see why Lieberman should feel obliged to support a party that already kicked him out?

What I can't see is why Lieberman still persists in calling himself an "independent Democrat" when he clearly wants nothing to do with his old party.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »

I wouldn't say he "wanted to have it both ways" exactly, but I understand what you mean.  What he wanted was to win re-election, and although I condemn his tactics once the general campaign was under way, his method of ensuring that he kept himself on the November ballot was sensible and intelligent.  He and I probably share the same view that party primaries are merely a way for the respective bases to make themselves feel important, but don't actually need to matter once the general election rolls around.

I still find it amusing that the Democratic party rank-and-file are so hateful towards him when they owe him so much at the moment.

It's not just that; it's basically that he appears to have lied about absolutely everything during his election campaign.  He said he wanted to elect a Democrat as president in 2008.  Nope.  He shifted his rhetoric on the Iraq War closer to the Democrats.  Nope.  The people in Connecticut are, if I recall correctly, pretty strongly of the opinion that they would not re-elect him again if given the option in the present day.

Have whatever opinions you want, but for God's sake, at least be honest about what the people are going to get if you're elected.  It's his fundamental dishonesty that he has shown that I object to, not his opinions themselves.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies