Hitler the Englishman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:47:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Hitler the Englishman
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hitler the Englishman  (Read 2018 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »

Let's suppose that sometime during the 1890's Alois Hitler and his wife Klara Pölzl decide to move to the United Kingdom. Does Hitler embark on a political career in the United Kingdom? Does he team up with Oswald Mosely in the British Fascist movement? And what is Germany like without Hitler being their saviour after the Great Depression? Discuss.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 02:53:32 AM »

Worst TL idea EVER.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 02:58:48 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2007, 03:51:37 AM by Lt. Governor Rockefeller Republican »

I thought it may have generated some conversation. Oh well. Speaking of TL's I have seen some TL's in the past, where Hitler did move to the UK and the United States and to me they seemed really bad. From memory one was really unplausible and involved Hitler becoming President of the United States.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:17:55 AM »
« Edited: December 18, 2007, 07:20:57 AM by Frank Force »

Since Hitler grows up in a different environment and also lives a much different life, it's unknown whether he would actually become a fascist or something similar. Maybe his artistic career would be much more succesful in this TL. Assuming he even enters politics in the first place, he could very well end up as a Tory or Labour politician. But even if he teams up with Mosely and the British fascists it seems unlikely that he raises to power in the UK as he did in Germany. The United Kingdom didn't lose the war, the United Kingdom wasn't as badly hit by the Great depression and the United Kingdom was a much more stable democracy.

As for Germany, it's likely that the country experienced a somewhat authoritarian phase throughout the 1930ies. Note that I'm saying "authoritarian" and not "facist". I could very well imagine something along the lines of contemporary "Putinist" Russia. Suffice to say, a scenario such as this would still be preferable to our TL.

Assuming that there isn't a "Command & Conquer"-style war with Soviet Russia. In a case such as this, the authoritarian Germany could actually end up on the side of the Allies.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »

I don't think it is the worst idea ever but I also doubt that facism could have succeeded in Great Britain as it did Germany.  More than likely Hitler rises to become the leader of the British fascist movement and perhaps takes it a little further than it got in r/t.  However removing Hitler from the German facists is bigger.  I'm sure Dietrich Eckart would have found someone else to influence but who?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »

Actually, Hitler's half sister moved then British Ireland; his nephew, an anti-Nazi  (a US Navy WWII veteran), ended up living on Long Island.  His great nephew is a social worker (and alive today).

Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:10:21 PM »

Actually, Hitler's half sister moved then British Ireland; his nephew, an anti-Nazi  (a US Navy WWII veteran), ended up living on Long Island.  His great nephew is a social worker (and alive today).

Smiley

It was his half-brother Alois, not his half-sister Angela, and he lived in Liverpool, not Ireland. Smiley

His sister-in-law actually fabricated an account of Hitler visiting England, which was confirmed without fact-checking in a biography of Hitler I read.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:24:44 PM »

Smiley

It was his half-brother Alois, not his half-sister Angela, and he lived in Liverpool, not Ireland. Smiley

His sister-in-law actually fabricated an account of Hitler visiting England, which was confirmed without fact-checking in a biography of Hitler I read.

Correct!  I thought it was the sister, but they met in Dublin.  The visit was fiction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies