Primary disparities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:58:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Primary disparities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Primary disparities  (Read 1118 times)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2007, 11:53:19 PM »

It seems to me that the Republicans have much more crowded primaries for congressional office than their Democratic counterparts in many of the hotly contended House and Senate races.  In fact, I'd say the Democrats are doing everything in their power to avoid primaries whereas the Republicans seem content to let 8-10 people run in each of them.  What affect will this have on the general election?  Does this difference give Democrats even more advantages and will it allow them to increase their majority in the House?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where are all these "crowded primaries" for U.S. Senate races?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 08:42:02 PM »

Just out of curiosity, where are all these "crowded primaries" for U.S. Senate races?

New Mexico is really the only one for the Senate.  I didn't mean to imply their were others for the Senate.  My mistake. 

But is there a tendency for more crowded GOP primaries or am I just imagining things?  Has anyone else noticed a significant difference?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »

New Mexico is really the only one for the Senate.  I didn't mean to imply their were others for the Senate.  My mistake. 

But is there a tendency for more crowded GOP primaries or am I just imagining things?  Has anyone else noticed a significant difference?

Well, I don't know if you're imagining things, per se, but most of those "crowded primaries" are on the GOP side because
(1) there are far more GOP seats open than Democratic seats
(2) most of the competitive GOP primaries are in safe seats (or historically Republican in the case of NJ-03 and NJ-07, both with competitive GOP primaries looming next June).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies