NC-10-PPP: Rep. McHenry (R) struggling against Johnson (D)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:54:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-10-PPP: Rep. McHenry (R) struggling against Johnson (D)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC-10-PPP: Rep. McHenry (R) struggling against Johnson (D)  (Read 1628 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2007, 12:28:17 PM »

Raleigh, N.C. – A new survey by Public Policy Polling shows Democratic challenger Daniel Johnson within striking distance of incumbent Patrick McHenry in North Carolina’s 10th District.

When respondents were given a description of Johnson, McHenry led him by a margin of only 39-32%. It is highly unusual for an incumbent to poll below 40%, particularly for a Republican congressman in a district as historically GOP leaning as the North Carolina 10th.

The poll also showed McHenry’s approval rating plummeting from a Public Policy Polling survey performed on behalf of the North Carolina Democratic Party in August. His approval is down to 43% in this week’s poll after registering at 53% in the August poll.

Additionally, while 55% of respondents to the August poll said they would vote to reelect McHenry only 45% of those surveyed this week said they would.

“It’s clear that voters in the 10th Congressional District are having their doubts about Patrick McHenry,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling.

“Daniel Johnson could be an extremely strong challenger next fall if he can effectively capitalize on the ambivalence that many folks in his district are having about Patrick McHenry,” said Debnam.

PPP surveyed 779 likely 10th District general election voters on December 11th. The survey has a margin of error of ± 3.5%. Other factors, such as refusal to be interviewed and weighting, may introduce additional error that is more difficult to quantify.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_121307.pdf

McHenry won 62-38 last year ...
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 12:39:25 PM »

I hate McHenry. He is so over-the-top extremely right-wing. He makes Tom Coburn look like Chris Shays. It would be one thing if he actually believes what he says, but he's just trying to secure a future with the RNC and getting the awful "base" to like him. Because he's under 30, it would be better to defeat him before he gets any respectability.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »

let me guess, johnson is a silly protectionist?

i dont like mchenry though.  he is a little prick.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »

Glad to see you agree with me Walter Smiley
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »

When respondents were given a description of Johnson, McHenry led him by a margin of only 39-32%. It is highly unusual for an incumbent to poll below 40%, particularly for a Republican congressman in a district as historically GOP leaning as the North Carolina 10th.

The part in bold is what makes this poll worthless.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 02:19:43 PM »

let me guess, johnson is a silly protectionist?

McHenry is a silly protectionist.
Rococo4

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »

I hate McHenry. He is so over-the-top extremely right-wing. He makes Tom Coburn look like Chris Shays. It would be one thing if he actually believes what he says, but he's just trying to secure a future with the RNC and getting the awful "base" to like him. Because he's under 30, it would be better to defeat him before he gets any respectability.

Im part of the GOP base.  I didnt know I was awful.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 11:16:05 PM »

I don't think a Democrat could ever win NC-10 in its current form.  Even with Jesus running as a Democrat and poop running as a Republican in this district, poop would win.  That's how Republican this district is. 
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 11:20:53 PM »

This seems like a solid Republican district even at the state level.  It only makes sense therefore that McHenry is a base panderer.  I can't help but doubt this one is accurate.  It must be an outlier.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »

No, no, this one is not an "outlier"—that's giving this thing too much credit.

It's a phony "informed ballot" poll, which is what struggling campaigns often do to get, essentially, the most favorable numbers humanly possible.

You read off the negatives of your opponent.  You read off the positives of your candidate.  And then you see how people would vote.

Or, the other kind: you read off a biography of your candidate (leaving off partisan affiliation, of course), and then you read off a biography of your opponent, using terms like "career politician" or "Washington insider."

Works every time, and never looks like the results on Election Day.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 12:06:07 AM »

if stephanie tubbs jones was an arsonist and an ax murderer would u still strongly support her
press 1 for uh huh
press 2 for uh uh
CavanaughPark
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 12:09:02 AM »

I'd press 3 since her former husband was a murderer.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies