Can McCain defeat Obama? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:34:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Can McCain defeat Obama? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can McCain defeat Obama?  (Read 20339 times)
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« on: December 24, 2007, 12:18:58 AM »

Yes he can and probably will. The map might look something like this:

McCain takes PA a la Florida 2000 (margin of victory that is), minus the fiasco. For his own sake, Obama would be wise to wait until 2012, so that he doesn't become a defeated candidate.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2008, 06:38:15 PM by auburntiger »

Ya know, I gotta be honest. It's hard NOT to like Obama...as a person. I've been reading about him lately, and I do like the guy. I can definitely see him winning the GE. Here's my new map of Obama/? vs. McCain/?

Obama needs to pick a WASP as his VP...Ben Nelson (D-NE) comes to mind, as he could help win over moderate votes. Maybe Mike Easley (D-NC), maybe Evan Bayh (D-IN)

Battlegrounds: Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, Ohio, Virginia, Florida.
NOTE: these 8 states will be the ones focused on the most by both parties during the last two weeks of the election.

Nevada - close in 2004, will be close in 2008. Trending Dem on the presidential level. If Obama wins the popular vote, he wins here - Democrat.

New Mexico - a true swing state. It will follow the direction the country is headed - Democrat.

Colorado - alot like Nevada, except it's slightly more Republican on the national level, although trending Dem on the state level. Colorado Dems don't seem as whacked out as the ones on the West Coast and northeast, while the Republicans here aren't as "whacked out" as the ones in the South. McCain is a perfect fit for these Republicans, even as they still hold party registration advantage. Colorado will be very tight though as Dems continue to strengthen here - Republican.

Iowa - also a true swing state. Obama did very well in the primary. Turnout in numbers for him was huge. Should be the same in November - Democrat.

Missouri - always a bellweather. It has voted for the winner in every presidential election in the 20th century except 1956. Also, Democrats don't win without it. In some elections, it leaned slightly right of the national average. In some, it leaned slightly left. People should look here as a microcosm for the nation as a whole. African-Americans will turn out in droves in Kansas City and St. Louis, and I expect Obama to flip a few counties - Boone, for one (U of M), and maybe some in the southeast and north central - enough to squeak by - Democrat.

Wisconsin - Republicans will fall short as always...the end - Democrat.

Ohio - Trending Dem at the presidential level from 2000 to 2004. They kicked out DeWine and elected a Dem governor by landslide proportions. However, polls show McCain doing pretty well here. However, since the Republicans don't win without this state, although they could lose the election and still win here, I'll go out on a limb and say Obama wins by less than 1% - Democrat.

Florida - the Republicans are doing quite well in the sunshine state. They won in 2000, had a larger than expected victory in 2004, they won the governor's mansion in 2006, and the governor endorsed McCain. Alot of older people live in south Florida and like McCain...he's one of them. The panhandle will be as Republican as usual, McCain might offest Obama in south Florida, especially Broward and Palm Beach, and maybe Dade counties. Florida is always fools gold for Dems just like Wisonsin and Pennsylvania are for Republicans. McCain by 2-3% - Republican.

Virginia - the NEW battleground. This state wasn't even on the radar screen for the Dems in 2004. But, In 2004, Fairfax county goes for Kerry (1964 was the last time the county went Dem); in 2005, VA elected a Dem governor; in 2006, Allen lost a safe seat to an unknown opponent; in 2007, VA Dems took the state House and Senate; in 2008, Mark Warner will lock up & take the open senate seat possibly by a 3-2 margin; Obama defeated hillary Clinton in what was supposed to be a safe state for her by an eye-popping 2-1 margin in the primaries; Obama also led in ever single demographic group; turnout was also MASSIVE in the beltway. Republicans here are conservative and may not turnout as much for McCain. All of these signs point to a Dem victory in the Commonwealth FL-2000 style. Expect a recount here - Democrat.

OBAMA/? wins 313-225

Other states that won't be in play come the last week of the election, but might be closer than people think: Tennessee, North Carolina, Minnesota (GOP convention?/Pawlenty VP?), Kansas (Obama's mother/governor's endorsement), Montana, Idaho, Indiana, Connecticut & New Jersey (moderate Republicans)

any constructive criticism of my analysis is welcome...
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2008, 07:22:55 PM by auburntiger »

this is true. I didn't even think about that. However, Romney has endorsed McCain, and Colorado's delegates will go to him, not that that matters or anything. McCain has some regional appeal too being from neighboring Arizona. That's one of the reasons why I projected him the winner there. You may very well be correct on Colorado. However, I thought my toughest race to call was virginia. Maybe I should switch the two
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 08:43:10 PM »

this is true. I didn't even think about that. However, Romney has endorsed McCain, and Colorado's delegates will go to him, not that that matters or anything. McCain has some regional appeal too being from neighboring Arizona. That's one of the reasons why I projected him the winner there. You may very well be correct on Colorado. However, I thought my toughest race to call was virginia. Maybe I should switch the two

You are right that VA is tough to call and I would add MO to that list. They seem like states divided demographically. Both of those states have areas that are very southern and unfavorable for Obama. Yet they both have sprawling urban areas which like Obama so I expect results very similar to the 2006 races in those states. I will give the edge to Obama but it wont surprise me if Mccain wins. Obama is strong in the west because of independents and that is why Mccain may not win in NV or CO.

there are also alot of independents in Arizona too, although it's obvious that state won't be up for grabs. Let's not forget that McCain is also strong among independents and the West is his home turf. If it were any other candidate but McCain, I would probably concede Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, and MAYBE even Arizona.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies