You have just destroyed the American Revolution....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:12:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  You have just destroyed the American Revolution....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You have just destroyed the American Revolution....  (Read 2966 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:04:56 PM »

To all of our non-American friends, particularly our blood brethren in Britain, Australia, and Canada...

Let's suppose you are the commanding general in charge of all British forces in the colonies, and you have just destroyed the American insurgency, particularly the Continental Army led by George Washington.  You still have some hard fighting to do, particularly along the frontier, but by and large the colonies are at your mercy.  What do you do? 
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 02:07:43 PM »

Free the slaves foricbly and encourage them to settle the frontier. This prevents wannabe future rebels from fleeing west.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 02:22:16 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2007, 02:23:51 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

Obviously something like this:

1. Hang all political and military confederate leaders.
2. Break up plantations and give land to both poor whites and blacks.
3. Permanent federal troops.
4. Anyone under the age of 12 gets sent to northern boarding schools until they come of age.

For once MasterJedi comes up with some good ideas!

I'd also institute a lifetime ban on the right to vote and own property for all Confederate colonial veterans. I'd also send federal troops around to destroy and desecrate every Confederate Colonial graveyard, and at random select some dead veterans to be dug up, have their bodies cut to pieces and have the pile be left at their family's doorstep.

I mean... after all, many of them were slave owners.
SADM
Rookie
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »

Mass Deportations, I'd break up the Populations of the 13 colonies, send some to Canada, others back to England, some to other British Colonies. Then, I resettle it with loyalists, and across the Empire, make it a crime to utter the names of the Revolutionarys, strike the records of it from the books, and basically stamp it out as if it never was.

Oh, and anyone caught in arms against Britian is sent to Primitive Gulags in Northern Canada.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »

A lot depends on when I've destroyed.  Nip it in the bud early and I offer generous terms to the the Middle and Southern Colonies, while in the north, I revoke the charters of the rebellious New England colonies, placing Connecticut and Massachusetts west of the Connecticut under the authority of New York,  and that portion of Massachusetts east of the Penobscot goes to Nova Scotia, while the rest of New England gets forcible combined into one colony under military rule, Nova Anglia.  (As Nova Scotia is rather large, I'd also split off the portion west of the Isthmus of Chignecto into a separate colony, Nova Cambria.)

Finally, to settle things down somewhat, get Parliament to agree to grant each colony one seat in the Commons.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »

A lot of you...well...don't really sound like the late 18th-century British Empire.  Gulags?  This from the nation of shopkeepers who are obsessed with economics and had already set up a Parliament-dominated system?

Execute the rebel leaders immediately, yes.  But...give the American (and Canadian) colonies seats in Parliament.  Use the British's far superior relations with the natives (at least compared to the early US) to make the slow westward migration more peacable.  Launch an immediate attack on Louisiana in the Napoleonic Wars, but only take minimal numbers of Americans over the Atlantic to fight Boney there.

When slavery is abolished Empire-wide in the 1830s, the American South may grumble, but won't be able to do anything in the face of the largest military on Earth.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 04:00:35 PM »

Declare myself Emperor of America.

No, seriously? Assuming it's in my power, offer complete amnesty to all members of the rebellion and encourage Parliament to offer representation to each of the colonies. I'd rejig some of the colonial boundaries to better reflect reality, too: merge Maryland and Delaware, merge all of New England together, merge Georgia with South Carolina, maybe merge New Jersey with New York.

Executing the leadership or otherwise oppressing the populace is just going to cause another rebellion.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »

I would execute all the leaders of the rebellion, and then amnesty to everyone else, provided that they sign a loyalty statement.  I would give seats in parliament to the colonies, and try to improve relatios with them.  If they rebel again, though, I would not be kind.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 05:39:03 PM »

I would draw and quarter the leaders, then offer the colonists two choices:

1. Keeping the system of colonies, with taxes levied by the colonial legislatures. Parliament would reserve the right to tax the colonies to maintain the military presence in North America.
2. Dissolution of the colonies, full representation in Parliament, and incorporation of British North America into England, with the colonists paying all the taxes the English paid.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 05:53:08 PM »

1.  Remove the radical element, particularly the republican element.  Deportation or execution.

2.  Recommend a separate parliament for North America (possibly excepting what is now Quebec); grant Dominion Status.

4.  Invite John Dickinson to try to form a government.  If Washington is not removed, promote him Major General, and grant him an Earldom, "Earl Mount Vernon."
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 09:18:47 PM »

I would execute the leaders for treason, and impose punishing taxes, put the country under martial law, and generally make life miserable for everyone except the Loyalists.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 10:43:08 PM »

And for a minute, I was sure this was referring to the ratification of the Constitution.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 02:01:45 AM »

And for a minute, I was sure this was referring to the ratification of the Constitution.
Ha...amusing perspective.  But by 1787 American no longer needed a revolution; it needed a mature state.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 04:49:14 PM »

1. Create an elected colonial assembly and entitle the colonies to also have Westminster representation.
2. Remove radical republican elements, ie the leaders of the revolution (either deport them or kill them)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies