Edwards/Feingold v. Huckabee/Ridge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:28:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Edwards/Feingold v. Huckabee/Ridge
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Edwards/Feingold v. Huckabee/Ridge  (Read 1180 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:12:02 PM »

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »

Edwards/Feingold would be one kickass populist ticket! Of course, any ticket with Feingold would rock.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 09:53:52 PM »

What is your problem Warner for Senate `08? Can`t you accept that Mike Huckabee could win an election?

First of all, Gporter, I would appreciate if you would not use a Democratic avatar, it is insulting to the party.  Second of all, Huckabee is a religious fanatic who would not win any Kerry states, and would certainly lose the election.  If anything, this map is being very generous to Huckabee.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 10:11:53 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 11:11:22 PM »

Huckabee would probably be the best candidate against Edwards, as he'd blunt some of his strength in the South.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 11:12:26 PM »

Edwards wouldn't win a southern state against anybody anyway.  except for VA, if that qualifies.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:14:34 PM »

Edwards wouldn't win a southern state against anybody anyway.  except for VA, if that qualifies.

Virginia does indeed count as a Southern state.  Second of all, I could see Edwards winning AR, TN, NC, and FL under the right circumstances, with the right VP against the right candidate.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 11:16:50 PM »

Virginia does indeed count as a Southern state.  Second of all, I could see Edwards winning AR, TN, NC, and FL under the right circumstances, with the right VP against the right candidate.

illustrate for me those circumstances.  Romney and Abe Lincoln against Edwards and Robert E Lee comes to mind, but that's unlikely for a handful of reasons.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:19:40 PM »

illustrate for me those circumstances.  Romney and Abe Lincoln against Edwards and Robert E Lee comes to mind, but that's unlikely for a handful of reasons.

If the tickets were Edwards/Bredesen v. Giuliani/Romney, it could happen.  I think a ticket with Richardson on it is likely to bring in Florida, and Webb or Kaine could go a long way to bringing in Virginia.  Arkansas leans Democratic except against Huckabee, and Tennessee is a nice swing state, although it leans GOP.  North Carolina has to be at least considered with its native son at the top of the ticket.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 11:26:31 PM »

Giuliani would never pick Romney.  I'm not going to go through the reasons.  life is too short and I've got a 1 in 6 shot at lung cancer as we stand right now.  but I don't think Edwards would do too well in the south because of two things - he's running as very left-wing, which is a different persona than won the 98 senate race, so the native son argument doesn't work as JE version 2007 would have pulled max 45% against Faircloth.  the other is a bigger and more quantifiable reason.  blacks don't like Edwards, at all, for whatever reason.  Kerry raped Edwards amoung negroes in 2004 (look at the GA primary map, then look at a GA demographic map...) and he's got absolutely no black support this time around.  no, they aren't going to vote for Rudy, that's not what I'm saying.  but in order to win in the south the Dem has to maximize black turnout and Edwards is hardly the guy to do that.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 11:32:38 PM »

Giuliani would never pick Romney.  I'm not going to go through the reasons.  life is too short and I've got a 1 in 6 shot at lung cancer as we stand right now.  but I don't think Edwards would do too well in the south because of two things - he's running as very left-wing, which is a different persona than won the 98 senate race, so the native son argument doesn't work as JE version 2007 would have pulled max 45% against Faircloth.  the other is a bigger and more quantifiable reason.  blacks don't like Edwards, at all, for whatever reason.  Kerry raped Edwards amoung negroes in 2004 (look at the GA primary map, then look at a GA demographic map...) and he's got absolutely no black support this time around.  no, they aren't going to vote for Rudy, that's not what I'm saying.  but in order to win in the south the Dem has to maximize black turnout and Edwards is hardly the guy to do that.

My main possibility of him winning is that he selects another Southernor as his running mate, or a minority like Richardson or Obama or Napolitano.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:40:02 PM »

isn't Nappy an NY Italian Catholic?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 12:50:45 AM »

Ima throw in my 2 cents and say add Louisiana and Virginia for Edwards and you have my map. Just a gut feeling I guess.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:04:44 AM »

I agree.  Unless Edwards finds a way to convince middle class and lower income white voters in the South that they have been bamboozled, useful idiots for the GOP for the past 30 years.  And I don't see that happening, much as I wish it would.

And I can't see anyone beating Huckabee in Missouri, unless you folks know of trends there that I am unaware of.  I realize the state swings back and forth when it comes to Senators and Governors.  But I don't think a Democratic Presidential nominee (at least none of the current crop) can turn out enough votes in KC and St. Louis to counter the rest of the state, which is hardcore Bible Belt.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »

She's the Governor of Arizona
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:16:18 AM »

I meant from birth.  upon research she was born in NY and is part Italian, but non-Catholic.  I don't see anything to suggest she is a minority.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »

I meant from birth.  upon research she was born in NY and is part Italian, but non-Catholic.  I don't see anything to suggest she is a minority.

True, I was counting women as a minority.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies