Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 06:05:45 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Presidential Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69 Print
Author Topic: Presidential Trivia  (Read 193991 times)
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 05:49:03 pm »
Ignore

During the presidential history of the 1990s and early 21st century, we saw a situation in which an incumbent was defeated for re-election, his successor serving two full terms in office, and then the original incumbent's son winning election in an open race and going on to serve two terms.

This same situation has happened before in a state-level race, involving a person who would later become president.  When and where was it, and who were the people involved?

Clue #1:  The office was governor.

CA, 1962-1982: Pat Brown, Reagan, Jerry Brown
Incidentally, Pat Brown defeated Nixon.

Who was the last sitting Representative to be elected President?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 05:51:50 pm »
Ignore

William McKinley

Who was the first Governor to become President?

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 06:00:36 pm »
Ignore

William McKinley

No, he was a Governor.

Next person please answer both questions.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Sensei
senseiofj324
YaBB God
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 06:12:46 pm »
Ignore

During the presidential history of the 1990s and early 21st century, we saw a situation in which an incumbent was defeated for re-election, his successor serving two full terms in office, and then the original incumbent's son winning election in an open race and going on to serve two terms.

This same situation has happened before in a state-level race, involving a person who would later become president.  When and where was it, and who were the people involved?

Clue #1:  The office was governor.

CA, 1962-1982: Pat Brown, Reagan, Jerry Brown
Incidentally, Pat Brown defeated Nixon.

Nobody. Trick Question. I really don't know.

Peter
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:43 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Name the only President to have served as a Representative, Senator, Governor and Vice-President.

Retarded babies should be fed to crocodiles.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2007, 06:31:38 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Name the only President to have served as a Representative, Senator, Governor and Vice-President.

Andrew Johnson

Who was the first Senator to become President?

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2007, 09:13:19 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

A guess, but my response is Teddy Roosevelt.

My question is, who was the first "king" to become President of the United States?

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 09:22:05 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

My question is, who was the first "king" to become President of the United States?

You ignored my answer, which was the correct one.  Pay attention.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2007, 09:25:39 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Stop complaining and answer the question.

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2007, 09:28:06 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Ah, but you see, I had already asked a question that I wish to have answered.  Follow the rules of the game, buddy.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2007, 09:40:51 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Ah, but you see, I had already asked a question that I wish to have answered.  Follow the rules of the game, buddy.

It was Andrew Johnson. Now answer the following question, which was posted before...

Who was the first "king" to become President of the United States?

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 09:42:48 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

It was Andrew Johnson. Now answer the following question, which was posted before...

If that is the answer for my question, then it is incorrect.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 10:13:46 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

If that is the answer for my question, then it is incorrect.

James Garfield then.

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2007, 11:26:46 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Gerald R. Ford.

What presidents did not use their birth names, or a derivative, when they became president.  There are at least three.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
True Democrat
true democrat
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2007, 11:53:06 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Gerald R. Ford.

What presidents did not use their birth names, or a derivative, when they became president.  There are at least three.

Ford (Leslie King), Eisenhower (David Dwight), and Grant (Hiram Ulysses).

Under which President was the first White House bath tub installed?

Michael Bloomberg for President.

Lol Winfield.  This quote is from a thread entitled "what do the following proceed to do if they are not nominated?"
Romney - President of Harvard
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 12:06:44 am »
Ignore

James Garfield

Gerald R. Ford.

Ford (Leslie King), Eisenhower (David Dwight), and Grant (Hiram Ulysses).

Under which President was the first White House bath tub installed?

Wrong, I said that were at least three.  Not counting Eisenhower because "Dwight David" might have been, there were six.

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

Erc
YaBB God
Slovenia

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 12:08:58 am »
Ignore

True Dem beat me to most of it...but, additionally, Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe, & Wilson & Cleveland used their middle names.  (Why Cleveland used Grover instead of Stephen is beyond me)
[And, for the record, Monroe was the first Senator elected President.]

As for True Dem's question, I'm pretty sure it's Millard Fillmore.

Which President had the longest wait between their first election to Congress and their accession to the Presidency?   (Two possible answers, depending on how you treat territories)
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 12:17:59 am »
Ignore

Which President had the longest wait between their first election to Congress and their accession to the Presidency?   (Two possible answers, depending on how you treat territories)

I would say Ronald Reagan, because he was never elected to Congress. Wink

William Henry Harrison had a long gap between being a territorial governor and president; so that would be my answer.

Also, ERC, you are missing one; there are six.

What president was elected to his first public office before his 21st birthday?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 12:57:14 am by J. J. »Logged

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 09:51:04 am »
Ignore

William Henry Harrison had a long gap between being a territorial governor and president; so that would be my answer.

John F. Kennedy

What movie was Reagan filming when he met Jane Wynman?

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 03:02:24 pm »
Ignore

James Garfield

Andrew Johnson has been mentioned in the thread, but the correct answer is John Tyler. Or maybe there wasn't an "only" one.

True Dem beat me to most of it...but, additionally, Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe, & Wilson & Cleveland used their middle names.  (Why Cleveland used Grover instead of Stephen is beyond me)
Because he was named for a man called Stephen Grover, and called Grover from earliest boyhood on.

As to the current question, I don't know the answer and frankly wouldn't want to.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2007, 04:01:35 pm »
Ignore

John F. Kennedy

Wrong.

My first guess would be Hellcats of the Navy, but I think I'd stick with Bedtime for Bonzo, because they met before the costarred together.  I looked it up and would now say The Girl From Jones Beach.

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2007, 05:29:19 pm »
Ignore

I think that was Brother Rat, a truly great film.

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
gorkay
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2007, 05:55:59 pm »
Ignore

Reagan met Nancy Davis, not Jane Wyman, while he was filming "Hellcats of the Navy." Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned (this thread is getting kind of hard to read), but Woodrow Wilson was another President who was elected using his middle name. His full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Now, don't anyone berate me for not answering a question, because I've lost track of whether or not there's one still out there that wasn't answered correctly. But I will ask one of my own and let the chips fall where they may (this is actually a pretty easy one, but I can't think of another right now):

Who are the three Presidents who won a plurality of the popular vote three times?
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2007, 06:04:04 pm »
Ignore

If you want to claim that there are three, they are Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland and Richard Nixon. (Roosevelt had four. Of course that means he also had three. In which case you probably werent thinking of Alabama 1960 after all. It depends how you define it.)

Which American President lived to see the largest number of his successors hold office?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
gorkay
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2007, 06:16:24 pm »
Ignore

You are correct, sir. Maybe I should have said "at least three" to clarify, but I was thinking of FDR and not Alabama in 1960, which is too iffy. (In case any of you are wondering what we are talking about-- if you give Kennedy only five-elevenths of the Democratic popular vote in Alabama in 1960, to reflect the five out of eleven electoral votes he got in the state due to a divided electoral ticket, his popular-vote total in the election falls below Nixon's.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 69 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout