Presidential Trivia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:16:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Presidential Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 68
Author Topic: Presidential Trivia  (Read 328956 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 11:26:46 PM »

Who was the last sitting Representative to be elected President?

James Garfield

Name the only President to have served as a Representative, Senator, Governor and Vice-President.

A guess, but my response is Teddy Roosevelt.

My question is, who was the first "king" to become President of the United States?

Gerald R. Ford.

What presidents did not use their birth names, or a derivative, when they became president.  There are at least three.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 11:53:06 PM »

James Garfield

Name the only President to have served as a Representative, Senator, Governor and Vice-President.

My question is, who was the first "king" to become President of the United States?

Gerald R. Ford.

What presidents did not use their birth names, or a derivative, when they became president.  There are at least three.

Ford (Leslie King), Eisenhower (David Dwight), and Grant (Hiram Ulysses).

Under which President was the first White House bath tub installed?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 12:06:44 AM »

James Garfield

Gerald R. Ford.

Ford (Leslie King), Eisenhower (David Dwight), and Grant (Hiram Ulysses).

Under which President was the first White House bath tub installed?

Wrong, I said that were at least three.  Not counting Eisenhower because "Dwight David" might have been, there were six.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 12:08:58 AM »

True Dem beat me to most of it...but, additionally, Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe, & Wilson & Cleveland used their middle names.  (Why Cleveland used Grover instead of Stephen is beyond me)
[And, for the record, Monroe was the first Senator elected President.]

As for True Dem's question, I'm pretty sure it's Millard Fillmore.

Which President had the longest wait between their first election to Congress and their accession to the Presidency?   (Two possible answers, depending on how you treat territories)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
« Edited: December 25, 2007, 12:57:14 AM by J. J. »

Which President had the longest wait between their first election to Congress and their accession to the Presidency?   (Two possible answers, depending on how you treat territories)

I would say Ronald Reagan, because he was never elected to Congress. Wink

William Henry Harrison had a long gap between being a territorial governor and president; so that would be my answer.

Also, ERC, you are missing one; there are six.

What president was elected to his first public office before his 21st birthday?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 03:02:24 PM »

James Garfield

Andrew Johnson has been mentioned in the thread, but the correct answer is John Tyler. Or maybe there wasn't an "only" one.

True Dem beat me to most of it...but, additionally, Clinton was born William Jefferson Blythe, & Wilson & Cleveland used their middle names.  (Why Cleveland used Grover instead of Stephen is beyond me)
Because he was named for a man called Stephen Grover, and called Grover from earliest boyhood on.

As to the current question, I don't know the answer and frankly wouldn't want to.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007, 04:01:35 PM »

I would say Ronald Reagan, because he was never elected to Congress. Wink

William Henry Harrison had a long gap between being a territorial governor and president; so that would be my answer.

Also, ERC, you are missing one; there are six.

What president was elected to his first public office before his 21st birthday?

John F. Kennedy

Wrong.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

My first guess would be Hellcats of the Navy, but I think I'd stick with Bedtime for Bonzo, because they met before the costarred together.  I looked it up and would now say The Girl From Jones Beach.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2007, 05:29:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that was Brother Rat, a truly great film.
gorkay

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »

Reagan met Nancy Davis, not Jane Wyman, while he was filming "Hellcats of the Navy." Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned (this thread is getting kind of hard to read), but Woodrow Wilson was another President who was elected using his middle name. His full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Now, don't anyone berate me for not answering a question, because I've lost track of whether or not there's one still out there that wasn't answered correctly. But I will ask one of my own and let the chips fall where they may (this is actually a pretty easy one, but I can't think of another right now):

Who are the three Presidents who won a plurality of the popular vote three times?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 06:04:04 PM »

If you want to claim that there are three, they are Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland and Richard Nixon. (Roosevelt had four. Of course that means he also had three. In which case you probably werent thinking of Alabama 1960 after all. It depends how you define it.)

Which American President lived to see the largest number of his successors hold office?
gorkay

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2007, 06:16:24 PM »

You are correct, sir. Maybe I should have said "at least three" to clarify, but I was thinking of FDR and not Alabama in 1960, which is too iffy. (In case any of you are wondering what we are talking about-- if you give Kennedy only five-elevenths of the Democratic popular vote in Alabama in 1960, to reflect the five out of eleven electoral votes he got in the state due to a divided electoral ticket, his popular-vote total in the election falls below Nixon's.)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

Reagan met Nancy Davis, not Jane Wyman, while he was filming "Hellcats of the Navy." Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned (this thread is getting kind of hard to read), but Woodrow Wilson was another President who was elected using his middle name. His full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Now, don't anyone berate me for not answering a question, because I've lost track of whether or not there's one still out there that wasn't answered correctly. But I will ask one of my own and let the chips fall where they may (this is actually a pretty easy one, but I can't think of another right now):

There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)
Clinton (William Jefferson Blyth)

There is one missing.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »

If you want to claim that there are three, they are Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland and Richard Nixon. (Roosevelt had four. Of course that means he also had three. In which case you probably werent thinking of Alabama 1960 after all. It depends how you define it.)

Which American President lived to see the largest number of his successors hold office?

It was probably either Herbert Hoover, Richard Nixon or John Adams.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 08:53:50 PM »
« Edited: December 25, 2007, 08:55:27 PM by Supersoulty »

Several Presidents lived to see five of their successor... but onyl one lived to see six...

John Tyler.

He lived through Polk, Taylor, Filmore, Pierce, Buchanan and one year of Lincoln.

Booyah
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »

Several Presidents lived to see five of their successor... but onyl one lived to see six...

John Tyler.

I had an inkling that it was John Tyler. Though I thought it would have been somebody later than him. Does this mean we're onto the next question? If so here's my question:

In 1958, John F. Kennedy was re-elected to the United States Senate with more than 73% of the popular vote. Who was his Republican opponent and who was his campaign manager? It's an easy question Wink.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:59 PM »

And as I answer, I realize that I was wrong... the answer is actually Martin Van Buren... he lived to see 8 successors... including Tyler.  He was still alive when Tyler bite the dust.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »

John Tyler.

I had an inkling that it was John Tyler. Though I thought it would have been somebody later than him. Does this mean we're onto the next question? If so here's my question:

In 1958, John F. Kennedy was re-elected to the United States Senate with more than 73% of the popular vote. Who was his Republican opponent and who was his campaign manager? It's an easy question Wink.

I think it's Henry Cabot Lodge, and Bobby was the campaign manager, but I'm not sure.

If I'm right, then my question to the next person is:

Who is the only President to be married in the White House?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »

Cleveland

Who were the two major-party candidates who, after losing the election, became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »

Two of mine still out:

1.  There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)

There is one missing.  Who is it.

2.  Which president was first elected to public office at age 20?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2007, 11:42:51 PM »

Cleveland

Who were the two major-party candidates who, after losing the election, became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

Taft and Earl Warren (VP under Dewey in 1948).
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2007, 05:16:22 AM »
« Edited: December 26, 2007, 06:12:10 AM by Fmr Gov. Polnut »

IIRC I heard something about Andrew Johnson being a mayor or councillor when he was 20.
- So I'll stab at that being my answer.

Q. What do Presidents Garfield, Hoover, Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton all have in common? This is a very easy one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2007, 05:56:12 AM »

And as I answer, I realize that I was wrong... the answer is actually Martin Van Buren... he lived to see 8 successors... including Tyler.  He was still alive when Tyler bite the dust.
Indeed, Van Buren was the answer I was looking for.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2007, 10:29:15 AM »

1.  There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)

There is one missing.  Who is it.

John Calvin Coolidge, I believe.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »

IIRC I heard something about Andrew Johnson being a mayor or councillor when he was 20.
- So I'll stab at that being my answer.

Q. What do Presidents Garfield, Hoover, Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton all have in common? This is a very easy one.
They're white male humans.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »

Cleveland

Taft and Earl Warren (VP under Dewey in 1948).

Warren would work, but I was actually thinking of Charles Hughes (1916).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies