Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 06:07:09 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Presidential Trivia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 69 Print
Author Topic: Presidential Trivia  (Read 193992 times)
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2007, 07:11:08 pm »
Ignore

Reagan met Nancy Davis, not Jane Wyman, while he was filming "Hellcats of the Navy." Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned (this thread is getting kind of hard to read), but Woodrow Wilson was another President who was elected using his middle name. His full name was Thomas Woodrow Wilson.

Now, don't anyone berate me for not answering a question, because I've lost track of whether or not there's one still out there that wasn't answered correctly. But I will ask one of my own and let the chips fall where they may (this is actually a pretty easy one, but I can't think of another right now):

There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)
Clinton (William Jefferson Blyth)

There is one missing.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2007, 08:09:01 pm »
Ignore

If you want to claim that there are three, they are Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland and Richard Nixon. (Roosevelt had four. Of course that means he also had three. In which case you probably werent thinking of Alabama 1960 after all. It depends how you define it.)

Which American President lived to see the largest number of his successors hold office?

It was probably either Herbert Hoover, Richard Nixon or John Adams.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2007, 08:53:50 pm »
Ignore

If you want to claim that there are three, they are Andrew Jackson, Grover Cleveland and Richard Nixon. (Roosevelt had four. Of course that means he also had three. In which case you probably werent thinking of Alabama 1960 after all. It depends how you define it.)

Which American President lived to see the largest number of his successors hold office?

Several Presidents lived to see five of their successor... but onyl one lived to see six...

John Tyler.

He lived through Polk, Taylor, Filmore, Pierce, Buchanan and one year of Lincoln.

Booyah
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 08:55:27 pm by Supersoulty »Logged

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:09 pm »
Ignore

Several Presidents lived to see five of their successor... but onyl one lived to see six...

John Tyler.

I had an inkling that it was John Tyler. Though I thought it would have been somebody later than him. Does this mean we're onto the next question? If so here's my question:

In 1958, John F. Kennedy was re-elected to the United States Senate with more than 73% of the popular vote. Who was his Republican opponent and who was his campaign manager? It's an easy question Wink.

Here's to the State of Richard Nixon

Some things are better left covered up.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:59 pm »
Ignore

And as I answer, I realize that I was wrong... the answer is actually Martin Van Buren... he lived to see 8 successors... including Tyler.  He was still alive when Tyler bite the dust.

GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 25, 2007, 10:19:35 pm »
Ignore

What movie was Reagan filming when he met Jane Wynman?

I think that was Brother Rat, a truly great film.

Yes, it was Brother Rat.

Just for the fun of it, summer 2014 reading: I am taking college courses both in July & did in May. I have read all of the material for those. Besides that I read Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story & the book on Kennedy & Nixon by Chris Matthews both cover to cover & before that One Last Kiss: The Chris Coleman Story. All very informative & entertaining books. I have started Rendevouz With Destiny By Craig Shirley.
True Democrat
true democrat
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2007, 10:33:35 pm »
Ignore

John Tyler.

I had an inkling that it was John Tyler. Though I thought it would have been somebody later than him. Does this mean we're onto the next question? If so here's my question:

In 1958, John F. Kennedy was re-elected to the United States Senate with more than 73% of the popular vote. Who was his Republican opponent and who was his campaign manager? It's an easy question Wink.

I think it's Henry Cabot Lodge, and Bobby was the campaign manager, but I'm not sure.

If I'm right, then my question to the next person is:

Who is the only President to be married in the White House?

Michael Bloomberg for President.

Lol Winfield.  This quote is from a thread entitled "what do the following proceed to do if they are not nominated?"
Romney - President of Harvard
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2007, 10:53:32 pm »
Ignore

Cleveland

Who were the two major-party candidates who, after losing the election, became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 25, 2007, 11:41:01 pm »
Ignore

Two of mine still out:

1.  There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)

There is one missing.  Who is it.

2.  Which president was first elected to public office at age 20?

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2007, 11:42:51 pm »
Ignore

Cleveland

Who were the two major-party candidates who, after losing the election, became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?

Taft and Earl Warren (VP under Dewey in 1948).

J. J.

- Londo Molari

"Wa sala, wa lala."

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2007, 05:16:22 am »
Ignore

IIRC I heard something about Andrew Johnson being a mayor or councillor when he was 20.
- So I'll stab at that being my answer.

Q. What do Presidents Garfield, Hoover, Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton all have in common? This is a very easy one.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:12:10 am by Fmr Gov. Polnut »Logged

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2007, 05:56:12 am »
Ignore

And as I answer, I realize that I was wrong... the answer is actually Martin Van Buren... he lived to see 8 successors... including Tyler.  He was still alive when Tyler bite the dust.
Indeed, Van Buren was the answer I was looking for.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2007, 10:29:15 am »
Ignore

1.  There are six name changers.  The five listed so far are:

Grant (Hirum)
Cleveland (Stephen)
Wilson (Thomas)
Ford (Leslie King, Jr.)

There is one missing.  Who is it.

John Calvin Coolidge, I believe.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 26, 2007, 01:53:40 pm »
Ignore

IIRC I heard something about Andrew Johnson being a mayor or councillor when he was 20.
- So I'll stab at that being my answer.

Q. What do Presidents Garfield, Hoover, Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton all have in common? This is a very easy one.
They're white male humans.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 26, 2007, 03:25:04 pm »
Ignore

Cleveland

Taft and Earl Warren (VP under Dewey in 1948).

Warren would work, but I was actually thinking of Charles Hughes (1916).

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
gorkay
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 26, 2007, 03:59:04 pm »
Ignore

Is the answer to "What do Garfield, Hoover, Truman, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Clinton have in common" that they are/were all left-handed? I know Garfield, Truman, Ford, Bush I and Clinton were.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of good questions... the problem is that I can come up with plenty that would stump the average person, but would be easy for people as knowledgeable as you guys. But let me try a few:

1. Who was the last incumbent President to actively seek his party's nomination for a second term and be denied it?
2. With the exception of Presidents who were assassinated, which one died at the youngest age?
3. Which President is thought by some historians to have been ineligible to serve, because there are doubts as to whether he was really born in this country?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2007, 05:04:19 pm »
Ignore

A few guesses to gorkay's questions:

1. Harry Truman
2. James K. Polk
3. Martin Van Buren
True Democrat
true democrat
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »
Ignore

1. Who was the last incumbent President to actively seek his party's nomination for a second term and be denied it?
2. With the exception of Presidents who were assassinated, which one died at the youngest age?
3. Which President is thought by some historians to have been ineligible to serve, because there are doubts as to whether he was really born in this country?

1. Well, I know Grant sought a third term, but you said second term, so that can't be right.  I guess Teddy Roosevelt (1912) and Herbert Hoover (1940) could also work, but that's probably not what you're thinking of either.  My guess is that you are thinking Franklin Pierce.

2. James K. Polk

3. Chester Alan Arthur, it is believed by some that he was born in Canada.

And my question is:

Who was the first President to serve after the completion of the Civil War not to serve as a soldier in the Civil War, with the exception of Andrew Johnson (there was still some fighting while he was President)?

Michael Bloomberg for President.

Lol Winfield.  This quote is from a thread entitled "what do the following proceed to do if they are not nominated?"
Romney - President of Harvard
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2007, 05:08:02 pm »
Ignore

What President holds the record as the longest serving earliest living President?  How many years did they hold the title?

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2007, 05:09:36 pm »
Ignore

LB Johnson actively sought his party's nomination for a third term until it became apparent that he might conceivably denied it, and then withdrew from the race, so I doubt you're thinking of him.
Chester Arthur "didn't stop" his fanboys, according to some text I dimly recall, but certainly didn't seek another term particularly actively.
Andy Johnson and John Tyler had no party by the end of their term.
I think Franklin Pierce and James Buchanan retired voluntarily as well. Although of course Buchanan certainly wouldn't have been renominated had he wanted to, and Pierce quite possibly not either.
So, bottom line - I actually can think of only one president who actively sought renomination and was denied it, and that's Millard Fillmore.
Polk maybe? He was 54 or something, younger than Harding or Arthur who also didn't live to 60. But maybe I'm forgetting someone.
There was a book at the time of the 1880 presidential campaign which claimed that Chester Arthur was born in Canada and later assumed the name of a US-born brother who died in infancy, but I think the scholarly consensus is and has always been that this was just a fanciful invention by a Democratic hack, based on the fact that elder siblings of Arthur's certainly were born in Canada. Probably some theory I never heard of, then.
Who was the first President to serve after the completion of the Civil War not to serve as a soldier in the Civil War, with the exception of Andrew Johnson (there was still some fighting while he was President)?
Grover Cleveland I think... either him or Teddy Roosevelt (the first President to be too young).

jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2007, 05:12:38 pm »
Ignore

Truman was on the ballot for a few primaries, I believe, does that count?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2007, 05:14:32 pm »
Ignore

Truman was on the ballot for a few primaries, I believe, does that count?

Technically Truman was seeking a third term.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2007, 05:18:57 pm »
Ignore

What President holds the record as the longest serving earliest living President?  How many years did they hold the title?
So in other words the President who had the longest remaining life after the death of his last living predecessor?
Heh.

Herbert Hoover probably. 31 years from Coolidge's death to his own.

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2007, 05:20:13 pm »
Ignore

Which President was (at least arguably, with the urban part the iffy part) born into the urban Working Class?

Yes, there's only one.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2007, 05:27:12 pm »
Ignore

Which President was (at least arguably, with the urban part the iffy part) born into the urban Working Class?

Yes, there's only one.

I suddenly feel very stupid, as I was about to say "Alexander Hamilton".

I do believe the answer is Richard Nixon, though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 69 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout