If you were to convert....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:00:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  If you were to convert....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Which of the following religions (other than your own, if you are religious) would you most consider joining?  You can pick only up to three,  
Roman Catholic Church

Eastern Orthodox Church

Reform Judaism

Conservative Judaism

Orthodox Judaism

Mahayana Buddhism

Theravada Buddhism

Hinduism

Sikhism

Sunni Islam

Shi'a Islam

Neo-Paganism (including Wicca)

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormonism)

Baha'i

Pentacostalism

Anglicanism

Methodism

Church of Scientology

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: If you were to convert....  (Read 11039 times)
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »

Right now I'm Roman Catholic

Anglicanism
Reform Judaism
Conservative Judaism

I don't know enough about Buddhism to make a firm decision, but it seems to have a negative view of life. The whole "life is meaningless" vibe is kind of a downer.

If you convert to Hinduism, do you have to accept the caste system? I wonder if they even allow non-Indians to join.

If Quaker was listed, I would have picked that over Reform Judaism. They are my favorite American Religion. The original freedom fighters.

I agree with Bono that more Protestant sects should have been in the poll: Lutheran, Presbytarian, Baptist, etc. There are very few Lutherans around here, they seem to concentrate in the Midwest.

Tweed, are you joking or serious? First the Romney sig and now this.... Please say its a joke.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 12:28:40 PM »

all organized religion is kooky so if forced to convert I might as well go all-out.  I find the history of LDS and its offshoots legitimately interesting.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 12:32:50 PM »

all organized religion is kooky so if forced to convert I might as well go all-out.  I find the history of LDS and its offshoots legitimately interesting.

LDS is one thing, as much as I disagree with them sometimes. But Germany is on the right track as far as Scientology goes. They are a science fiction writer's tax exempt celebrity-only project.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 01:57:37 PM »

If you convert to Hinduism, do you have to accept the caste system?

That's dead.

I wonder if they even allow non-Indians to join.

Yes.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2007, 02:20:36 PM »

The Dalits in India beg to differ.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »

Dead in most places, dead among the religious leaders. Maybe gasping for life in a few rural backwaters.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2007, 02:42:26 PM »

Voted for the Buddhisms and Ganglianism.  Next would've been reform Joue.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2007, 02:44:28 PM »

Voted for the Buddhisms and Ganglianism.  Next would've been reform Joue.

Joue?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 02:44:54 PM »

Eastern Orthodox, Conservative Judaism or Baha'i...  That last would be the easiest, since all it requires beliving is that almost all faiths are simply different revelations of the same God.  I'm kinda half way there already.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 02:46:40 PM »

Supersultry, are you Jewish now? I notice the flag of Judaism under your map.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2007, 02:59:31 PM »

Supersultry, are you Jewish now? I notice the flag of Judaism under your map.

No... I'm not.  I'm Catholic.  That's kinda a tongue-in-cheek joke... I do support Israel, but its kinda a "neo-con" thing... people say that neo-cons care more about Israel than they do America.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »

Dead in most places, dead among the religious leaders. Maybe gasping for life in a few rural backwaters.

Then why are dalits in the cities still working in garbage dumps and hide tanning and other occupations without any health protection? It shouldn't take 60 years to end untouchability.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »

Perhaps because it failed the important test of being funny. Tongue

It wasn't meant to be funny.  It was meant to push your buttons, and it worked predictably and splendidly.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2007, 05:46:26 PM »

There are few things as alive and well as the caste system in India. It's just that most people, including most people who live within it don't understand it. And that it has been changing in relevant aspects.

And yes, you can theoretically convert, but there's no real place for a convert to Hinduism except as a Sadhu.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 01:37:51 PM »

Scientology
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »

This may be cheating, but I would become either a Conservative Jew or an Orthodox Jew.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 02:06:40 PM »

Methodism
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »

Anglicanism, Methodism and Pentacosalism. Yeah I am a pretty stalwart Protestant. No Catholics allowed Tongue.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »

Buddhism, though I’m not sure which kind. I’ve dabbled with LaVeyan Satanism in the past, but that was really not for me. I’d also consider the occult, but I’m too paranoid about going to hell to really think that would work out for me, even though I find the occult fascinating from a merely scholarly point of view. I like the whole message of Buddhism though, and find it to be generally compatible with what I believe. As of right now, I’m more or less an Agnostic who believe in the Christian God, but am undecided on who has the right ideas about what he really thinks, if there is truly only one right answer.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »

I would not leave Christianity.  I am presently Episcopalian.  I was born a Baptist and raised in Baptist and Christian & Missionary Alliance Churches.  I spent some time as a young adult in Pentecostal/Charismatic circles, but it didn't take.  So we spent eight years in the Churches of God (General Conference) and then, about ten years ago, became Episcopalian.  

I think we are in for life.  But if I did leave the Episcopal Church, I would strongly consider...

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
The United Methodist Church
The United Church of Christ
The Presbyterian Church (USA)
The Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

And if they would change and allow women to be ordained to ministry, I would look very hard at...

The Eastern Orthodox Church
The Missouri Synod Lutheran Church
The Orthodox Presbyterian Church
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »

Anglicanism, Methodism and Pentacosalism. Yeah I am a pretty stalwart Protestant. No Catholics allowed Tongue.

A number of my Baptist relatives believe I am Catholic already.  The Episcopal Church (The US branch of the Anglican Communion) can be pretty similar to the RCC. 

Actually, I could be okay with being Catholic if they dropped Papal infallibility, allowed the ordination of women and kept moving in the Vatican Two direction instead of the Opus Dei direction.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2008, 10:49:56 PM »

I'm currently Methodist, but I would consider Mahayana Buddhism, Baha'i, Unitarian Universalism (which is not on the list Sad), and Quakerism (which is not on the list Sad)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »

A number of my Baptist relatives believe I am Catholic already.  The Episcopal Church (The US branch of the Anglican Communion) can be pretty similar to the RCC. 

Actually, I could be okay with being Catholic if they dropped Papal infallibility, allowed the ordination of women and kept moving in the Vatican Two direction instead of the Opus Dei direction.
Well same with me actually. For some reason though I am pretty anti-Catholic. I like some of the social beliefs on how God's laws transcend human laws, and some of their programs, but I never liked their Church structure, Saints, and other things.
The odd part is my Mexican side of the family is extremely Protestant, to the extent that when my Grandpa married my Grandma lots of the members of his family looked down on him for marrying a Catholic. While my German/Irish side of the family is fairly Catholic, and make jokes at my family for being "Evangelical".
It is like everything dealing with my family is opposite of the real world. lol
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2011, 07:16:56 PM »

I would definitely convert to either Roman Catholicism (i.e. the Latin Rite), or Eastern Orthodoxy.  I am still uncertain between Judaism, Baha'i, or Islam. 
-------------------------------------

Those are still my top choices, plus Hinduism, though the only I way I could be pushed over the edge to convert to any one of these faiths would be if my significant other is a (practicing) adherent of one of them, and if she invites me to join her faith in marriage. 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2011, 09:38:34 PM »

I'm currently Methodist, but I would consider Mahayana Buddhism, Baha'i, Unitarian Universalism (which is not on the list Sad), and Quakerism (which is not on the list Sad)

I don't think I could see myself as Buddhist or Quaker anymore, though I'll always be a bit of a Quaker fanboy.  Bahá'í and Unitarian are both still possibilities, and I do plan on doing some church shopping when I go to grad school within the liberal Protestant denominations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies