Obama vs Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:44:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama vs Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama vs Romney  (Read 1570 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

I believe that Obama and Romney will win the nom, so what do you think this match-up will look like? I'll post what I think later on.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »

360-178. lol Romney
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:46:35 AM »

Super close.  I wish I could be as optimistic as Aizen.

Would Southerners like the flip-flopping Mormon with virtually no experience?  Probably not.  But would Southerners like the liberal Christian black guy with virtually no experience?  Given a choice, they stay Republican.  Obama's best hope would be that they stay home. 

Barring a huge boner on Romney's part, there is no way Obama wins Arkansas, Missouri or the two Virginias.  Florida would be real iffy.  Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico would be close...but those states might have enough Mormons or Mormon-sympathizers to make the difference in a razor-thin election.

The key for Obama will be Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Florida, the upper Midwest and Oregon.  If he sweeps those states, anything else (Nevada, Missouri, New Mexico, etc.) will be gravy.

Two things Obama supporters have to realize, whether they like it or not, are this --

1.  He has very little experience.  Oh, I know.  The Decider didn't, either.  But far too many voters and much of the media give conservatives a pass on experience.  Why?  Because they're Republicans.  And somehow, automatically, the naive public and the media just assume Republicans will know how to handle foreign policy and military matters.  Actually, given a guy with one Senate term under his belt and a mediocre governor and failed businessman, I'll take the Senator.  But I'm not in the majority.  I'm not Joe Sixpack.  We have to reach those people.  And I am not sure Obama can or will. 

2.  Is American "ready" for a black President?  I'd sure hope so.  LONG overdue.  But what I hope and dream isn't necessarily what is.  This is still a shockingly racist country.  And if Obama being African-American doesn't hurt him with Joe Sixpack, his "funny" name will.  People are friggin' morons.

In an Obama-Romney matchup, no matter how brilliant Obama is...we'll have to hope Romney really screws up. 
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 01:00:56 AM »

I don't think I'm being optimistic at all (I'm a pessimist by nature). Romney just sucks
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 01:14:44 AM »

Barack Obama was just endorsed by Tony Knowles. Winning the endorsement of a Yale-educated former Governor... Obama is transforming into Adlai Stevenson right before our eyes.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »

If it's these two, Bloomberg will be running, so you should add him to the contest.

If I lived in the rural heartland of this country and I have to choose between a black and a Mormon, which one do you think I would choose?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 01:39:55 AM »

If it's these two, Bloomberg will be running, so you should add him to the contest.

If I lived in the rural heartland of this country and I have to choose between a black and a Mormon, which one do you think I would choose?
Probably a Mormon, unless you happened to have Southern Baptist relative. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 11:54:41 AM »

From my perspective, the map would be butt ugly.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »

From the very beginning of this thing, people have been placing way too much importance on Romney's Mormon faith.   I don't care what the polls say at the moment, but a black or a female would have a much more difficult time getting elected to this country than a Mormon. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »

And a black, a mormon and a Jew on the other hand..?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 02:06:01 PM »

And a black, a mormon and a Jew on the other hand..?
That's my dream election. How will prejudiced people vote?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

Barack Obama was just endorsed by Tony Knowles. Winning the endorsement of a Yale-educated former Governor... Obama is transforming into Adlai Stevenson right before our eyes.

Really ? People outside Alaska don´t care about Tony Knowles and Alaska won´t vote for Obama in the GE. Besides, Stevenson lost IL by 10 and 20 points to Eisenhower, Obama will win it by 10-20 ... Second, 2008 is not 1958, there is no Republican running who is even remotely like Eisenhower. Maybe McCain, but he has still a long way to go for the nomination.
ArizonaJon

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 03:13:05 AM »

I sure hope that the race is Obama versus Romney.  There is nothing more I would like to see than a black person defeating a Mormon.  Mormons are very racist people.  Mitt and most Mormons will never admit it but it is true.

In The Book of Mormon, one of the scriptures used by the Mormon Church,  it is taught that black skin is a sign of God’s curse. It also teaches that white-skinned people are considered morally and spiritually superior to black skinned people.

In the Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 5:21 states "And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

Please note that it says that right now.  It was not removed after the Mormons decided to allow black people in the priesthood in 1978.  I question any candidate who would be a member of any organization that espouses this teaching.  It is not American to believe that black people are in any way inferior to white people.  Keep in mind that when the Mormons heard their so called "revelation" in 1978 to allow black people into the priesthood they never did change their doctrines as to why it was there in the first place.  They never repudiated any of the original doctrines.  They just said that God had decided to lift the curse of not allowing blacks into the priesthood.  Mormons therefore still believe that black skin is a curse of God.

I am a person that does believe in religious freedom.  It is however important that we look at a person's values when they run for the highest office in the land.  If a candidate was a Satanist and believed in brutally killing and raping people would we even consider them as a candidate?  I would say that anyone that believes that black people are in any way inferior to white people is not qualified to be president.  I do not care if they developed those ideas from a religion or from another factor in their life. 

Mitt Romney can say all that he wants to about being for civil rights and he can tell people that his father marched with Martin Luther King but he can not deny that he has sworn allegiance to an organization that has very racist views.  He can not say that he does not believe this.  If he did not believe this, why would he not immediately quit this organization when he discovers that they espouse this belief?  It would be the same concept  for a Klu Klux Klansman to say that he is not a racist.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 05:07:37 AM »

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:42 PM »

The only chance for the map above (By Aaron Sorkin) is if Romney is involved in a major scandal or is proven insane.  Indiana would NEVER vote for Obama over a basically conservative Republican. I have serious doubts about Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri, too.  Would Florida's minority vote be enough to flip the state to Obama?  And I think Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Nevada...and possibly Oregon...would be painfully close.

As I said in a previous post in this thread:  Sure, a lot of the fundamentalist Christian voters in the South and Midwest won't like a Mormon candidate.  But given Obama's views on choice and gay rights...and given his basically liberal stance on most issues that motivate both secular and religious conservatives...the conservatives will choose Romney.  They may hold their noses.  But they won't stay home.

And there are still plenty of racists -- Republican, Independent and Democrat -- who will vote Romney or Third Party -- just because they can't feature a black man in the White House.

How would I vote?  Obama all the way.  He's head and shoulders above Romney in so many respects.  But the map above is a pipe dream.  Granted, it's one I wish would come true.  But barring a Republican meltdown, it won't.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »

Romney is hardly a conservative Republican. Any competent Democratic campaign could easily reveal his vast change over the past few years. He's the easiest candidate the GOP could field for the Democrats to defeat.

I'd also add NC to the list of states that Obama would carry. He also has an outside chance of carrying South Carolina with the combination of black voters, GOP voters disgust over a Mormon causing them to stay home, and northern transplants into the area over the past 8 years.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »

Obama is far over hyped. 

In the final analysis, the electorate goes with the far more capable, experienced, and credible Romney.

The nation will not put the Oval Office in the control of the politically unaccomplished and undistinguished upstart Obama.

Romney                          341
Obama                           197

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 09:25:04 PM »

"Credibility" and "Mitt Romney" are mutually exclusive terms.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 11:01:44 PM »

Obama is far over hyped. 

In the final analysis, the electorate goes with the far more capable, experienced, and credible Romney.

The nation will not put the Oval Office in the control of the politically unaccomplished and undistinguished upstart Obama.

Are'nt u forgetting an unaccomplished and undistinguished former congressman from Illinois by the name of Abraham Lincoln?  I'm sure the Obama campaign will draw distinct comparisons between the two due to their obvious similarities.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »

Obama is far over hyped. 

Are'nt u forgetting an unaccomplished and undistinguished former congressman from Illinois by the name of Abraham Lincoln?  I'm sure the Obama campaign will draw distinct comparisons between the two due to their obvious similarities.

Re. Obama and Lincoln

I knew Abraham Lincoln.  Abraham Lincoln was a friend of mine.  And you, sir, are no Abraham Lincoln.  Smiley
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

Obama is far over hyped. 

Re. Obama and Lincoln

I knew Abraham Lincoln.  Abraham Lincoln was a friend of mine.  And you, sir, are no Abraham Lincoln.  Smiley

You're right, Obama has made MORE achievements pre-office.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies