should I register to vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:52:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  should I register to vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: should I register to vote?  (Read 1803 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »

I might not.  it's probably pretty cool to have a bunch of knowledge about a topic and then not participate in it.  the ultimate gesture of disaffection.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 06:38:33 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2007, 06:40:32 PM by The Hashish Eater »

Consider whether or not Mike Gravel will still be around by the NY primaries (which are...?) as his ads alone are the worth voting for.

Even if you don't register it is a pretty self-satisfied thing you are doing given your reasons - after all, how many will affected by your "protest", a grandiose term here.

As you are annoyed at the United States government then joining a third party (and ergo voting for it...) or plotting a marxist coup in your garage are two ways of doing something about it..
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 06:43:35 PM »

Should we care? 
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 06:45:15 PM »

Whatever.

If the risk of jury duty isn't worth the interest you have in voting, don't do it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »

Consider whether or not Mike Gravel will still be around by the NY primaries (which are...?) as his ads alone are the worth voting for.

Even if you don't register it is a pretty self-satisfied thing you are doing given your reasons - after all, how many will affected by your "protest", a grandiose term here.

As you are annoyed at the United States government then joining a third party (and ergo voting for it...) or plotting a marxist coup in your garage are two ways of doing something about it..

I don't think Gravel made the NY ballot so I'd have to write him in.  I may not make the primary deadline here anyway, the law is weird.  I can't file the form to register until the year I turn 18 (which is, 2008, so I can't file the form to vote until 1/1/08) but the deadline to register to be able to vote in the primary might have already passed.  so although I'm eligible in one sense (will be 18 by 11/04/08) I can't take advantage of it.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:55:15 PM »

I don't think Gravel made the NY ballot so I'd have to write him in.  I may not make the primary deadline here anyway, the law is weird.  I can't file the form to register until the year I turn 18 (which is, 2008, so I can't file the form to vote until 1/1/08) but the deadline to register to be able to vote in the primary might have already passed.  so although I'm eligible in one sense (will be 18 by 11/04/08) I can't take advantage of it.

In other words, you won't be 18 before the primary, so you can't vote in the primary.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:57:49 PM »

Are you sure you have your state law correct?  You can still sign a registration form when you're 17.  I did.  You just certify that you will be 18 before election day.  Here (and in most states) the law is that you can register any time before the next declared election and you're copacetic.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 09:46:48 PM »

There's no reason not to vote, even though Clinton will clearly win your primary. Oppose the collective action problem; pole the barge!

As for registration, in most states it's a month in advance, so you will have a small window in early January to register. Although, if you're not going to be 18 by the primaries, you won't be able to vote in them, anyway.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 09:58:05 PM »

Which is dumb. I say if you are going to be 18 by the general election, you should be able to vote in the primary.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 10:11:25 PM »

I wish more people wouldn't register to vote and/or not vote.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 10:21:57 PM »

I think voting is fun... Undecided
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2007, 10:34:49 PM »

Yes, I can't wait until I can vote. Top of that, I will vote in two countries.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »

Tweed, stop being a stereotype.

Which is dumb. I say if you are going to be 18 by the general election, you should be able to vote in the primary.

Amen!  Which is why I'm happy Minnesota is the way it is Smiley
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 12:01:36 AM »

I didn't think this was the case, but apparently it is.  (didn't affect me, as I turned 18 early in a midterm year)

According to the New York Board of Elections,
"note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote."

If you aren't 18 by February 5th, you aren't eligible to vote in the primary.

If you do turn 18 between the January 1st and February 5th, you're still fine, though.  As you noted, you can register as long as you turn by December 31 of the year in which you register.    If the deadlines for the 2006 & 2007 (September) primaries are anything to go by, the form has to be postmarked within 25 days and received within 20 days of the election--in this case, the 11th and 16th of January, respectively.  So you have plenty of time.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 02:05:38 AM »

I wish more people wouldn't register to vote and/or not vote.

HP

me too!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 06:43:23 AM »

Vote third party.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States