Race you expect? Add the Electoral Map!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:29:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Race you expect? Add the Electoral Map!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Race you expect? Add the Electoral Map!  (Read 4647 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 06:42:16 PM »

No, Xahar did make a very valid point yes, but since when do trolls take those into account?

As I said before, this is a Mikey style argument:

Person A: Man I can't wait till I have all that money and I'm a millionaire!
Person B: What makes you think you're going to become a millionaire?
Person A: My stocks in X Company. They're no doubt going to soar and I'll become rich.
Person B: Huh? X Company isn't doing all that well lately, they're dropping in value...
Person A: Whatever. Just wait a month until I'm rich and then you'll wish you had been like meand bought those stocks. I'm going to laugh SOOOO hard at you then and you're going to regret everything you said, and being the paid shill you are for their main competitor Y Company.
Person B: Uh, I don't care about Y Company at all. In fact I own a few shares of X Company myself, I hope it does well, but there's no reason not too.
Persona A: Blah blah blah, whatever. Go back to sucking Y Company's CEO's cock you shill.

*Y-A-W-N*

Then I guess we should just cancel the 2008 presidential election altogether since a Democrat is almost certain to win.  You know, just like John Kerry winning in 2004 was an inevitable certainty.  LOL

Wow...  BRTD... can I... can I shake your hand, sir.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 08:25:53 PM »

You owe me a new keyboard Sad
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »

Lindsay Graham could also fit. Graham would help most with Conservatives. 

Um, what?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »

Lindsay Graham could also fit. Graham would help most with Conservatives. 

Um, what?

Olympia Snowe would please about as many conservatives as Lindsay Graham would.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »

Olympia Snowe at least is easy on the eyes.  Rawr.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 11:03:15 PM »

Olympia Snowe at least is easy on the eyes.  Rawr.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 11:46:41 PM »

Clinton/Clark vs. Romney/McCain*

*I believe Romney will name a military/foreign policy guy from the Senate to his ticket.  My first thought was McCain, but John Warner, Dick Lugar or maybe Lindsay Graham could also fit. Graham would help most with Conservatives. 

Warner is 81 years old, I think Lugar is something like 75, and Graham is up for reelection.  None of these people are viable choices.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 12:21:39 AM »

Clinton/Clark vs. Romney/McCain*

*I believe Romney will name a military/foreign policy guy from the Senate to his ticket.  My first thought was McCain, but John Warner, Dick Lugar or maybe Lindsay Graham could also fit. Graham would help most with Conservatives. 

Warner is 81 years old, I think Lugar is something like 75, and Graham is up for reelection.  None of these people are viable choices.

Well, I can modify what I said a bit.  I should say people "like" the aforementioned would work.  But I am not so sure an older man, even substantially older, would hurt a Romney ticket.  What's the knock on Romney?  (I know, lotsa knocks.)  But you know people will spin him as another spoiled rich boy with very little experience in foreign policy and military matters.  Shades of The Decider, no?  So to whom did The Decider turn for a running mate?  Cheney.  Not quite frail and elderly in 2000, but hardly the picture of health and youth.  But he came with a resume that would calm the nerves of any conservative and of enough independents.  Despite an extremist, borderline Fascist voting record as a Congressman, no small number of Americans regarded Cheney as expert on matters of foreign affairs and war-making.  He was on all the right committees, was a Secretary of Defense and oversaw the first Gulf War.  In 2000, a lot of people (not me, but lots more than will admit to it today) even regarded Cheney's association with defense contractors as a big plus.  Any shortcomings on the part of Little Lord Bush would surely be made up for in Dick Cheney. 

So while I understand the "conventional wisdom" (not just here, but throughout the political culture) against an elder-statesman running mate, I don't completely accept it as valid.  John McCain will need a youthful, vigorous running mate if he's the nominee.  Romney or Huckabee will need a sober, experienced and credentialed one.  By the by, I'd take Dick Lugar to finish the NY Marathon ahead of Mike Pence OR Mitt Romney.  (The guy's an avid runner.)

As to Graham not passing conservative muster, I must disagree.  He wouldn't pass muster with Talibagelicals and other extremists.  He's no Jesse Helms.  But like Lugar or Warner or Voinovich, he's hardly a moderate.  I think having a nutcase like Jim DeMint as his "junior" only serves to make Graham look less conservative.  He's just a mainstream paleocon. 

But hey -- if the Republican nominee wants to name Jim DeMint as his ticket-mate, this Democrat is all for it.  I wanna win for a change!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2007, 12:46:58 AM »

Graham would help most with Conservatives. 

We love Lindsey for his work on the Amnesty Immigration bill he worked on!

If Romney does win the nomination, this is the map we will see, with Obama his challenger.

Obama 403
Romney 135

BUT my prediction is that when it appears as if Hillary will win the Dem nomination, Rudy will regain his footing and win the nomination. That is who Republicans want facing her, not Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, or McCain. I think it will turn out like this:

Giuliani 316
Hillary 222

JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2007, 01:02:28 AM »

How does Obama win Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Montana against Romney?  Did I read that correctly?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2007, 01:11:10 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2007, 01:13:42 AM by Tammany Hall Republican »

The Republican convention becomes deadlocked, and the party brings in Jeb to save the day.  With the conservative base locked up, Jeb picks Republican maverick Chuck Hagel in order to achieve a broader appeal to independents and swing voters.   

Edwards' tobacco road rhetoric spells his doom.

Jeb Bush/Chuck Hagel                310
John Edwards/Russ Feingold      228

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:09 AM »

LOL! A Bush wins in 2008? (and by a wider margin than Bush did in either election)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:47 AM »

How does Obama win Kansas, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Montana against Romney?  Did I read that correctly?

SC has been close in general election polls and Romney, I believe, was behind in all of them.

I honestly haven't seen a general poll that he's actually won. I think the combination of lack of enthusiasm for Romney among SC Republicans and Obama's mobilization of the black voters could give him the state..

That map is a worse case scenario for Mitt, as the only place he has to go is up. Kansas voters may be turned off by his Mormon faith, and if they stay home, voters in Kansas City could come out for Obama and give him a narrow victory there. Or, people who don't like him cause he's black will come out. The Sooner poll showed him losing, but Edwards beating Romney 50-37 in OK.

I put Montana as a Democratic state just because. Clinton won it in 1992 and narrowly lost it in 1996. With a weak candidate like Romney, who knows. He'll probably win Oklahoma against a black man.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »

LOL! A Bush wins in 2008? (and by a wider margin than Bush did in either election)

Jeb is the smartest of the Bush brothers!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:13 AM »

We haven't seen the last of the Bush/Clinton era.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2007, 01:29:31 AM »

I hope not. I am hoping Lauren Bush (right) runs once she's old enough

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2007, 01:42:58 AM »

The Republican convention becomes deadlocked, and the party brings in Jeb to save the day.  With the conservative base locked up, Jeb picks Republican maverick Chuck Hagel in order to achieve a broader appeal to independents and swing voters.   

Wow. That is the hackiest post I've ever seen. Congratulations.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2007, 01:47:03 AM »

Jeb is the smartest of the Bush brothers!

He's still a moron. He said that the Terri Schiavo incident was the toughest event that happened during his reign as governor. Did he forget the hurricanes?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2007, 02:13:50 AM »

Clinton/Vilsack (D): 360 Electoral Votes

Romney/Sanford (R): 178 Electoral Votes

Bloomberg/Hagel (I): 0 Electoral Votes
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 04:01:35 AM »

And I thought politico's constant "Gore will still win the nomination / Gore will run in 2012" couldn't be beat.  Here's hoping, for your sake, that you were joking when you wrote that post.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 04:03:47 PM »

It's a badge I wear with honor, thank you.  Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »

And I thought politico's constant "Gore will still win the nomination / Gore will run in 2012" couldn't be beat.  Here's hoping, for your sake, that you were joking when you wrote that post.

In all seriousness, this scenario will clearly never happen.  Smiley

It would be great if it did though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »

The Bush name is dead. For now.

My prediction is that when it appears as if Hillary will win the Dem nomination, Rudy will regain his footing and win the nomination. That is who Republicans want facing her, not Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, or McCain.

Giuliani was endorsed by the Liberal Party for Mayor of New York. TWICE.

I think it will turn out like this:

Giuliani 316
Hillary 222

First, it's Clinton, not Hillary. Second, Giuliani cannot win if he continues to be as hawkish as he is right now.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2008, 09:53:44 PM »

I hope not. I am hoping Lauren Bush (right) runs once she's old enough

Now thats a Bush I'd vote for Wink  lol

But here is my prediction

Obama/Biden   337
Romney/Huckabee   201

Romney only keeps most of the south due to the presence of Huckabe on the ticket with him.  Debates are best in a long time with Obama taking on Romney and Biden againest Huckabee.  Biden makes up Obama's experience deficits.

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »

Anyone that truly expects a Romney/Huckabee ticket or vice-versa surely must not be paying attention to the campaign.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies