Is Al Frankin running for Senate in Minnesota, and if so what are his chances?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:26:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Al Frankin running for Senate in Minnesota, and if so what are his chances?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Al Frankin running for Senate in Minnesota, and if so what are his chances?  (Read 1870 times)
user60521
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -7.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:56:25 AM »

Minnesota has a history of eccentric office holders i.e. Jessie Ventura. And progressive ones i.e. Paul Welstone.  I think it would be really cool to have Al Frankin in the U.S. Senate.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 05:04:08 AM »

1) Yes, he is running and has been for many months

2) If he wins the nomination, which I'd say he's more likely to than not to, he certainly would have a decent shot at the general IMO. It's too early too tell more specifically though.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:34:53 AM »

I think both Democratic candidates have a good (not great) chance of unseating Norm Coleman.  A lot depends on how things are going economically, militarily and who is at the top of each party's ticket.

Personally, much as I enjoy Franken's books...I am not a fan of entertainers becoming politicians.  It's a fine line.  They have the RIGHT to opine and the right to run.  But I don't have to like it.  I get a belly ache whenever Barbara Streisand opens her mouth (even though I usually agree with what she's saying) and I get nauseous whenever an idiot like Toby Keith opens his mouth.

Shut the hell up and sing.  LOL

I know, I know.  It's terribly unfair of me.  But that's how I feel. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »

Right now, Ciresi and Franken have essentially the same numbers against Coleman.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »

I would give Franken maybe a 25% chance at victory, although some depends on the Presidential race. A Romney or Huckabee candidacy would make Coleman considerably more vulnerable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:05:22 PM »

He's running to help what should have been a tough race become a fairly easy and comfortable victory for Senator Coleman. We are grateful.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 05:29:25 PM »

He's running to help what should have been a tough race become a fairly easy and comfortable victory for Senator Coleman. We are grateful.

Sadly, I agree.  Should have saved Klobuchar for 2008.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »

I disagree.  I think Franken is a good candidate, and once the race gets into September and October people will see that Franken is serious, and he will win in a close race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »

I disagree.  I think Franken is a good candidate, and once the race gets into September and October people will see that Franken is serious, and he will win in a close race.

Serious? Have you seen the Coleman video of Franken on Iraq? That video alone would end Franken.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:02:29 PM »

Serious? Have you seen the Coleman video of Franken on Iraq? That video alone would end Franken.

I have not, could you provide a link?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 11:08:43 PM »

http://www.colemanforsenate.com/multimedia/
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 11:28:55 PM »

http://www.colemanforsenate.com/multimedia/

Thanks, although I didn't like what I saw.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 08:39:14 AM »

Ciresi would be a better candidate and I hope he wins the DFL Convention endorsement. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:01:58 AM »

He seems to be running, and though his chances would be considerably less than those of a 'normal' politician, he's still got a 50/50 chance I'd say.  The video in question is insufficient to change anyone's mind, I'm sure - in the first place, it is too grainy, disjointed, and slow for any actual voter to watch.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 04:06:21 PM »

I think the issue with Franken is that he has said a lot of crazy sounding things in the past and the Coleman folks really only need to create a little audio/video collage of them and run them over the tv and radio.

I think Coleman will pull it out, but I Franken is going to give him a run for his money.  It will be a very small victory.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies