Most Likely Comeback. Somewhere, sometime...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:40:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most Likely Comeback. Somewhere, sometime...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which of these recently failed candidates/officeholders will return to high office in the future?
George Allen

Conrad Burns

Charlie Fogarty

Tony Knowles

Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum

Harold Ford

Gary Trauner

Linc Chafee

Jim Pederson

Melissa Hart

Others you might wish to add?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Most Likely Comeback. Somewhere, sometime...  (Read 2468 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »

I bet this has been done before, but I never saw it.  And I thought it would be a nice change of pace to deal with something NON-Presidential for a change.

I think I have it set up correctly, so you can vote for all the ones you want.  And I would encourage you to add names.  I tossed these out completely at random.

Oh -- almost forgot.  I am thinking of people who either HELD a high office or RAN FOR a high office.  And by high office, I mean Senate, House or Governor.  Feel free to throw in former Vice Presidents, too, if you wish...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:41:18 PM »

I think Knowles will get a congressional seat, Ford will replace Alexander in the Senate or Bredesen as Governor, and Chafee may be elected as a Democrat to Congress or Governor.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »

Hart. She will have a tough race next year. It will be very close but I think she'll return to Congress.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 04:46:16 PM »

jim talent.  he is young.  it isnt a stretch to say he may win a statewide office in the future.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »

jim talent.  he is young.  it isnt a stretch to say he may win a statewide office in the future.

I sure hope so. Some may laugh but I would have loved to see him run for President had he been re-elected in 2006. I would have supported him over any of the current candidates. There might not be a President Talent in the future but it would be great to see him back in the Senate.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »

I say Hart and Fogarty.

Wouldn't Pederson have to have held "high office" before for him to be able to return to it?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 04:57:58 PM »

I sure hope so. Some may laugh but I would have loved to see him run for President had he been re-elected in 2006. I would have supported him over any of the current candidates. There might not be a President Talent in the future but it would be great to see him back in the Senate.

i have similar feelings for former governor ehrlich
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:08:06 PM »

I say Hart and Fogarty.

Wouldn't Pederson have to have held "high office" before for him to be able to return to it?

Hey Mr. M.  No...I was thinking of office holder OR candidates.  Should not have used the word "return".  Sorry!  ;-0
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »

I don't know what "high office" means.  I also didn't know that Gary Trauner or Jim Pederson ever held a "high office" of any kind.  Obviously something better than dogcatcher, but eh...

I will be odd and say George Allen.  Probably Hart or Chafee are more likely, but eh...  I like to be different.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 05:24:03 PM »

Sorry M8, shoulda been more clear.  I'm thinking of any former officeholder OR failed candidate.  I shouldn't have used the word "return".

By high office, I mean Governor, Senate or House. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 05:31:14 PM »

Ford, Chafee, and Hart.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »

Ford is the most likely.  He's still very young and I don't think he's done with politics yet.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 08:03:16 PM »

Ford is the most likely.  He's still very young and I don't think he's done with politics yet.

Ford's living in the wrong state—he lost a competitive open seat race in the best year for Democrats since Watergate against what many believed to be a less-than-stellar opponent.

Still, I grant that it is quite possible he could wind back up in his old congressional seat if he really wants it badly.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:44 PM »

Ford's living in the wrong state—he lost a competitive open seat race in the best year for Democrats since Watergate against what many believed to be a less-than-stellar opponent.

Still, I grant that it is quite possible he could wind back up in his old congressional seat if he really wants it badly.

Right now, he's presently enjoying living it up in NYC every evening with a couple of blondes attached to him.  At least last I saw.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 08:15:38 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2007, 08:20:16 PM by Joe McBloomberg '08 »

Right now, he's presently enjoying living it up in NYC every evening with a couple of blondes attached to him.  At least last I saw.
Good for him. He seemed to be flirting with Kerry Washington at a Congressional hearing. Before he runs for governor, he need to find a Michelle Obama type, a whip-smart, stern wife.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »

I bet this has been done before, but I never saw it.  And I thought it would be a nice change of pace to deal with something NON-Presidential for a change.

I think I have it set up correctly, so you can vote for all the ones you want.  And I would encourage you to add names.  I tossed these out completely at random.

Oh -- almost forgot.  I am thinking of people who either HELD a high office or RAN FOR a high office.  And by high office, I mean Senate, House or Governor.  Feel free to throw in former Vice Presidents, too, if you wish...
I'd add Jeb Bradley, Larry Kissell, Darcy Burner, Mike Sodrel, Eric Massa, Dan Maffei, and Linda Stender to the list.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 05:05:36 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2008, 05:07:46 AM by opebo »

I agree with you guys, though I dislike Talent.  He has a future, but I think he is not sufficiently appealing personally to be presidential material.  Maybe when Bond retires he'll replace him, or of course as much as I hate to admit it he could win a re-match with MacGaskill.  Don't see him as governor though.. he's a St. Louis area boy, and most Missourians mistrust that for governer even more than for senator.

Other than him... Ford, because he is young and appealing, though in TN he cannot win statewide.. maybe a house seat.  Chafee, obviously, can get some seat easily enough if he switches to the appropriate party.. and Knowles.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »

I got the impression that Chafee was done with politics. He did leave the Republican party this year.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 08:36:23 AM »

Harold Ford - he could run for Governor and stand a chance of being elected in 2010 - it depends whether Bill Frist is a candidate as well though. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

Don't see him as governor though.. he's a St. Louis area boy, and most Missourians mistrust that for governer even more than for senator.

Well, he came within a point in 2000 for that office.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »

Harold Ford, Jr. and (now that I have read up on who the hell he is) Gary Trauner. 
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »

in the best year for Democrats since Watergate

Wow.  This is a sad reflection on th state of the Democratic Party because it's true.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 08:15:41 PM »

in the best year for Democrats since Watergate

Wow.  This is a sad reflection on th state of the Democratic Party because it's true.

Considering, again, that the Democratic Party was overwhelmingly dominant at the time, and has since merely slid to simply being one of two parties by shedding its racist wing, this is not at all a sad reflection.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »

What was so bad about Corker's campaign? He just seemed to be a cookie-cutter conservative to me, which isn't a hindrance in the South (except Arkansas).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 10:49:33 PM »

What was so bad about Corker's campaign? He just seemed to be a cookie-cutter conservative to me, which isn't a hindrance in the South (except Arkansas).

For the record: He ran as a conservative but he is no conservative.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies