Breaking: Musgrove WON'T run for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:21:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Breaking: Musgrove WON'T run for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Breaking: Musgrove WON'T run for Senate  (Read 2773 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:04:12 PM »

MS sources (the same ones that predicted the Wicker appointment weeks ago) are now saying Musgrove will not run against his long-time friend Roger Wicker.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »

There goes the only chance we had of taking that seat.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »

This has been a horrible recruiting cycle for Democrats in the Senate. Horrible.

No Kerrey, no DeFazio (or anyone else top tier in Oregon), neither Moore nor Musgrove in Mississippi now, no one in Kentucky, no one in North Carolina. Stupid Schumer.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:23:20 PM »

This has been a horrible recruiting cycle for Democrats in the Senate. Horrible.

No Kerrey, no DeFazio (or anyone else top tier in Oregon), neither Moore nor Musgrove in Mississippi now, no one in Kentucky, no one in North Carolina. Stupid Schumer.

Udall, Udall, Warner, Shaheen
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:42:46 PM »

Thanks you for pointing that out.

Bob Kerrey not running has nothing to do with Schumer -- Kerrey's a fickle turkey of a man.

Peter DeFazio would not have beaten Gordon Smith. As a life-long Oregonian and avid follower our state's politics, I can assure that there are many skeletons in his closet.

The MS recruitment failures are disappointing but not entirely unexpected. Moore is akin to a Victoria's Secret model who shows up at some loser bar and feigns interest in one of the local drunkards. Of course, nothing ever happens after that. Musgrove wouldn't have won anyways, so that's not a big loss.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:09:20 PM »

Bob Kerrey not running has nothing to do with Schumer -- Kerrey's a fickle turkey of a man.

Peter DeFazio would not have beaten Gordon Smith. As a life-long Oregonian and avid follower our state's politics, I can assure that there are many skeletons in his closet.

The MS recruitment failures are disappointing but not entirely unexpected. Moore is akin to a Victoria's Secret model who shows up at some loser bar and feigns interest in one of the local drunkards. Of course, nothing ever happens after that. Musgrove wouldn't have won anyways, so that's not a big loss.

I should mention that DeFazio running would have required Democrats to fight to hold his evenly divided House seat. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 08:18:39 PM »

I'll give Schumer the Udall in Colorado. In New Mexico, that was largely a grassroots effort. It was pretty clear that Warner was running in Virginia once Warner had retired. Shaheen's a horrible candidate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 08:19:21 PM »

I should mention that DeFazio running would have required Democrats to fight to hold his evenly divided House seat. 
Interestingly, DeFazio's seat was one of just two in the nation to switch from Bush in 2000 to Kerry in 2004. The Democratic bench there is also quite strong.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »

Interestingly, DeFazio's seat was one of just two in the nation to switch from Bush in 2000 to Kerry in 2004. The Democratic bench there is also quite strong.

It still would have been a seat that Republicans would have likely tried to pick up in a rare chance to pick off an open Democratic seat. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:04:05 PM »

Schumer hasn't done badly.  He just hasn't hit the home-runs he launched in 2006.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:35:52 AM »

Schumer's done fine. We weren't going to win in Mississippi anyways. That state is a lost cause, like Oklahoma
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 03:22:08 AM »

What home-runs did he hit in 2006 again? Not trying to be an ass, I've just forgotten. Tester and Webb were both grass/net-roots candidates. I think he recruited Casey, but really, anyone would have beaten Santorum 2006.

I'm not knocking Schumer's abilities as DSCC head; he's a great fundraiser, without a doubt. But he's not the recruiting God people were making him out to be, as has been evidenced so far this year.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »

dammit!  I am so frustrated!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »

What home-runs did he hit in 2006 again? Not trying to be an ass, I've just forgotten. Tester and Webb were both grass/net-roots candidates. I think he recruited Casey, but really, anyone would have beaten Santorum 2006.

I'm not knocking Schumer's abilities as DSCC head; he's a great fundraiser, without a doubt. But he's not the recruiting God people were making him out to be, as has been evidenced so far this year.

That's true, although Schumer did do a good recruiting job on Webb.  Rahm Immanuel, Schumer's counterpart in the House, is more the recruiting type.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »

Klobuchar, McCaskill, Whitehouse and Brown.  Brown was particularly back and forth about whether or not he wanted to run for Senate.  And beating DeWine was hardly a sure thing.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »

I know.  After a while, it feels like 'Democrats' on this forum care more about the fate of the Democratic Party of Mississippi than they do.  O well, 'we' can't win everything this year. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 12:41:30 PM »

I think he recruited Casey, but really, anyone would have beaten Santorum 2006.

I really don't want to make this a huge issue again but since I haven't been able to state this on the forum yet, I'll do it now. In a recent article about Casey, the chairman of the PA Democratic party said that Casey was the only one who would have beaten Santorum. Now maybe he was doing that to defend himself and the Dem establishment from attacks from the left since they believed that could have gotten a more liberal candidate to win. Who knows for sure. I don't think Casey was the only one who would have beaten Santorum but he was the only one who could beat him by double digits.

Again, I don't want to make this a big deal. If debate on this needs to continue, feel free to bump that buried, dusty PA Senate race 2006 thread.  Smiley
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 02:43:50 PM »

I blame Mr. Moderate.  I bet Ronnie Musgrove read his posts and lost heart.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

I've heard he might run if the election is in March/April, but he doesn't want to commit a whole year of his life to it, so he won't if it's in November.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »

MS Democrats will just find some worthless shyster to run. Like normal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 03:39:45 PM »

MS Democrats will just find some worthless shyster to run. Like normal.
You may be right, and I will probably cry if you are.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »

At this point, I couldn't care less. Lott isn't in the Senate, so I'm happy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies