Less than 48 hours until caucus... Which candidate are you supporting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Less than 48 hours until caucus... Which candidate are you supporting?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Less than 48 hours until caucus... Which candidate are you supporting?
Joe Biden

Hillary Clinton

Chris Dodd

John Edwards

Mike Gravel

Dennis Kucinich

Barack Obama

Bill Richardson

Rudy Giuliani

Mike Huckabee

John McCain

Ron Paul

Mitt Romney

Fred Thompson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 91

Author Topic: Less than 48 hours until caucus... Which candidate are you supporting?  (Read 4264 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 01:50:56 PM »

1. John McCain
2. Rudy Guiliani
jacob_101

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »

John McCain
Mike Huckabee
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 02:54:27 PM »

1. Giuliani
2. Not sure really. Could go with McCain.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2008, 02:57:39 PM »

1. Edwards
2. Obama

Simply so Hillary has to work.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »

Dodd (Biden)
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »

Paul [McCain]
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

Thanks.  The very reason I support them is why I supported Kerry.  I think that's one reason they are not gaining traction.  No one wants to donate to a northern, fairly liberal, foreign policy wonk.  We tried that in 2004 and had a similar candidate in 2000 -- and lost.

I always support the man or woman I believe is best for the job and shares my values.  Period.  Regardless of whether or not they can win.  When the party nominates someone else, I usually end up supporting that person -- unless the GOP hits a home run and nominates a superb candidate. 

I just can't see anyone preferring Edwards, Clinton or Obama over Biden, Dodd or Richardson. To me, it's about experience, intellect, hard work and (preferably) liberal policy positions.  But of course, when Obama or Edwards or Clinton win the nomination -- my choice will be a no brainer. 

Because Huckabee and Romney don't cut it on any of those levels.  And McCain, though I love the man personally and have high regard for his experience, is just too hawkish and too far to the right.

Now if former Senator Mark Hatfield would run...  <grin>
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »

Now there's an interesting combo.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

It's a lot easier for me to list candidates I don't support, rather than candidates that I do.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2008, 05:22:14 PM »

Obama (D)

McCain (R)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2008, 05:24:51 PM »

Thanks.  The very reason I support them is why I supported Kerry.  I think that's one reason they are not gaining traction.  No one wants to donate to a northern, fairly liberal, foreign policy wonk.  We tried that in 2004 and had a similar candidate in 2000 -- and lost.

I always support the man or woman I believe is best for the job and shares my values.  Period.  Regardless of whether or not they can win.  When the party nominates someone else, I usually end up supporting that person -- unless the GOP hits a home run and nominates a superb candidate. 

I just can't see anyone preferring Edwards, Clinton or Obama over Biden, Dodd or Richardson. To me, it's about experience, intellect, hard work and (preferably) liberal policy positions.  But of course, when Obama or Edwards or Clinton win the nomination -- my choice will be a no brainer. 

Because Huckabee and Romney don't cut it on any of those levels.  And McCain, though I love the man personally and have high regard for his experience, is just too hawkish and too far to the right.

Gore was hardly a foreign policy wonk liberal from te North East when he ran. He was actually fairly moderate and ran on the "New Democratic" centrist platform Clinton ran on. Only since he left politics did he become the left wing lunatic he is today.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2008, 07:05:27 PM »

Gore was hardly a foreign policy wonk liberal from te North East when he ran. He was actually fairly moderate and ran on the "New Democratic" centrist platform Clinton ran on. Only since he left politics did he become the left wing lunatic he is today.

Gore gained invaluable experience in foreign policy as VP, though I agree he would still not rise to the stature of a Joe Biden or Richard Lugar.  He did run on the centrist Clinton domestic platform and -- to my knowledge -- is still in that mode today.

His environmental views are now, and have always been, very liberal.  (And correct.)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »

Obama and McCain
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »

Democrat yet to be determined but McCain for the Republicans. Of course, were I an Iowan I'd be taking part in the Democratic caucus

Dave
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2008, 09:38:41 PM »

Biden, followed by Clinton.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »

Democrat yet to be determined but McCain for the Republicans. Of course, were I an Iowan I'd be taking part in the Democratic caucus

Dave

It took some getting there but I got there Wink

Pretty easy choice as far as the Republican race is concerned

Dave
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2008, 10:38:41 PM »

Dems: Clinton (Biden)
Reps: Huckabee (McCain)

Overall: Clinton (Huckabee)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Paul
Hunter
(Does anyone not know who anyone else is supporting at this point?)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2008, 11:34:51 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2008, 11:38:25 PM by Supersoulty »

Giuliani (McCain)

First off, because Rudy and McCain, unlike the other serious candidates, don't seem like they woke up last week and decided "Gee, I might like to run for President."

Second, because Rudy and McCain are the only two who seem to have thought it through to the extent that "Gosh, I might actually be elected President."  The others still seem like they are only running.

Third, Rudy and McCain are the only two who have given me any indication that they have the real leadership skills that are required to actually get something done in government.

Fourth, in terms of expirience McCain looks like a giant compared to everyone else on that stage, but Rudy comes in as an acceptable second.

Fifth, Rudy is the only candidate who seems to actually have a plan to reduce the size of government.  Every other candidate has stuck to vague abstractions.  We can't reduce the deficit without reducing the size of government and reducing bureaucracy has always been a huge issue for me.

Sixth, Rudy is the only candidate who has an serious expirience as an executive in government.

Seventh, Rudy is the only candidate who has turned around a place and government in trouble, and he did it in one of the most unfreindly places for a Republican in America... and let me tell you what friends, this country is in trouble, and the next congress is probably not gonna be Republican controled.

Eighth, Rudy has talked about 9/11 less than McCain has talked about being a POW.  When asked about taxes, Rudy doesn't find a way to link it to 9/11... McCain can link anything to his time at the Hanoi Hilton... neither of the other candidates have even done anything that is worth linking anything to... except perhaps Romney and Gay Marriage, without which he wouldn't even be a blip on the radar.

Ninth, Rudy has stuck to his positions about as well as someone in his situation could be expected to.  Far better than the average politician, a million times better than a slimeball like Romney.

Tenth, Rudy and McCain actually know what they are talking about when it comes to a wide variety of issues.  McCain, because of expirience, Rudy because he has actually been curious and motivated enough to find out.  This is doubly true with foriegn affairs.  Given the two options, I would take Rudy, though McCain still beats the others by a mile.

Eleventh, Rudy actually comes off as a real, unscripted person during the debates while actually knowing something worth saying.  In otherwords, Rudy isn't going to need 30 minutes of prep before he makes a decision in the White House, whereas Romney would have to take a poll before deciding to launch a retaliatory strike... and then he would have to run it through his advisors, practice giving the order into a mirror... then double check to make sure he knows the facts... then... of wait, to late *mushroom cloud*
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »

Republican: Ron Paul (very distant; Duncan Hunter)
Democratic: Dennis Kucinich (Mike Gravel)
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »

No Bill Richardson support anymore?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:35 AM »

Obama.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2008, 05:11:20 AM »

Obama-Biden

And that's the ticket I'd want, too, although Dodd would suffice.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »

Anyone who supports Clinton is crazy.

America is turning into a joke.  Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton.  Really?  People can do better than this.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2008, 06:00:49 AM »

Can't really bring myself to properly support any of them. I would like Clinton to lose in Iowa though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies