Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 07:38:20 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  Depression by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Depression by state  (Read 3810 times)
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2008, 10:40:42 pm »
Ignore

I thought this was interesting

Least depressed
1. South Dakota
2. Hawaii
3. New Jersey
4. Iowa
5. Maryland
6. Minnesota
7. Louisiana
8. Illinois
9. North Dakota
10. Texas
11. Georgia
12. Vermont
13. Nebraska
14. Florida
15. California
16. Massachusetts
17. Pennsylvania
18. Virginia
19. New York
20. New Hampshire
21. Alaska
22. Michigan
23. D.C.
24. Delaware
25. Arizona
26. Alabama
27. North Carolina
28. South Carolina
29. Kansas
30. Wisconsin
31. Tennessee
32. Montana
33. Mississippi
34. Colorado
35. Washington
36. New Mexico
37. Oregon
38. Connecticut
39. Indiana
40. Arkansas
41. Maine
42. Wyoming
43. Ohio
44. Missouri
45. Idaho
46. Oklahoma
47. Nevada
48. Rhode Island
49. Kentucky
50. West Virginia
51. Utah
Most depressed

http://www.nmha.org/go/state-ranking

Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 10:50:31 pm »
Ignore

Interesting.  But it does not seem to have any political correlations.

The Mormon triangle being depressed is a bit surprising.  Latter Day Saints seem so contented.

Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky are not surprising.  Depression tends to breed populism, and populism depression - a cycle that can only be broken by the free market.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 10:53:49 pm »
Ignore

The Mormon triangle being depressed is a bit surprising.  Latter Day Saints seem so contented.

Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky are not surprising.  Depression tends to breed populism, and populism depression - a cycle that can only be broken by the free market.

Clearly Hawaii is hardcore free market.  BTW, they're the wrong color.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
Ignore

OK, the free market or an island paradise.

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 11:00:12 pm »
Ignore

According to their analysis

While many factors likely contribute to these differences which are not represented in the state summary data employed in these analyses, a clear and compelling theme emerges from the data included. The availability of and access to mental health services improves mental health outcomes. This is particularly true for suicide, where less difficulty in obtaining needed care, actual utilization of services, and the availability of a professional workforce are all related to decreased rates of death. Similarly, access to health insurance a key variable in obtaining care is also related to decreased rates of suicide.
As would be expected, states with greater rates of depression also had greater utilization of mental health treatment and pharmacy services. Where individuals reported fewer barriers to accessing care and lower levels of unmet needs, the rates of depression were lower than in states where individuals reported more difficulty receiving care.

http://www.nmha.org/files/Ranking_Americas_Mental_Health.pdf

Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:15:22 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, that is very interesting.  If I had to guess I would have said the mountain states and California would be least depressed while the Northeast would be most depressed.  Wrong.

I expected the map, sort of. The most remote areas tend to demonstrate the highest rates of depression because of a lack of human interaction, or of interaction with different humans. For that reason, only Ohio, Missouri and Utah of the most depressed surprise me (for different reasons; Ohio because it has fairly large cities, Missouri because there's nowhere particularly remote, and Utah because my impression of Mormons has always been as a fairly communal group). Rhode Island is less surprising because it consists primarily of a poor city (relative to its surroundings), but it doesn't follow that paradigm.

North and South Dakota surprise me as the least depressed, however.
Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 11:37:21 pm »
Ignore

I'd be depressed too if I were a Mormon.

New Jersey?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:39:51 pm by Gabu »Logged

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:01:32 am »
Ignore

No political, economic, religious, racial, age-based, or geographic patteren that I can see.  Interested.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 01:29:34 am »
Ignore

I say depression in Washington is due to the crappy winter weather. They actually go on the news each year to talk about depression during the months of November-April because of the lack of sunlight and such.

Eventhough I personally love the rain. Smiley

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 02:31:47 am »
Ignore

Ohio explanation:

no jobs+losing to Florida twice in one school year= sad Ohioans Sad

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:38:34 am »
Ignore

The depression in the Mormon triangle is hardly surprising.  The rate of depression is probably highest among Mormon women.  They are required to sacrifice their lives to have as many children as possible and support their husband.  The husband probably suffers from depression too, just because his wife is always feeling blue and neither of them are willing to talk about it with each other.

A tidal wave of healthcare has swept across coal country. 
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:00 am »
Ignore

Quite a strong class link in the eastern half of the U.S.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 04:24:58 pm »
Ignore

Quite a strong class link in the eastern half of the U.S.

Only in the Northeast, but even there Connecticut is WAY below where one would expect based on class.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:09 pm »
Ignore

I'd have expected the states with the best healthcare coverage to have the highest rates of depression.  And somehow, I doubt the state of West Virginia can boast the "best healthcare coverage."

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
Snowguy716
snowguy716
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -8.52

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:14 pm »
Ignore

Despite being rural, North and South Dakota have some of highest amounts of social interaction.

Community bonds are still very strong in the upper Midwest with strong community support of churches, schools, and other groups.

There's a book titled "Bowling Alone" that goes into deep analysis about social interaction in different states.  The upper Midwest has the highest rates while the deep south has the lowest rates.

If you look at other measures, such as amount of time spent watching TV, the upper Midwest ranks lowest...

I would link the breakdown of community and trust between neighbors for the rise in depression in the country in combination with difficulty to get help.

"Above and beyond the question of how to grow the economy there is a legitimate concern about how to grow the quality of our lives."
-Paul Wellstone

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party
Willy Woz
YaBB God
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:21:15 pm »
Ignore

Ja, Snowguy's got a point, eh. The Yooper Midwest consistently ranks at da top for highest standard of living, don't ya know...

(Pardon my fake Minnesota accent, I lived in Duluth for about two years)
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »
Ignore

I'd have expected the states with the best healthcare coverage to have the highest rates of depression. 

exactly.

and i would also add that there are untold thousands that go undiagnosed, particularly men.  a lot of men are 1. rerluctant to go the doctor for depression, 2. have a poor undseerstanding of depression.  in a lot of men depression manifests itself much differently than it does in women.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 09:59:30 pm »
Ignore

No political, economic, religious, racial, age-based, or geographic patteren that I can see.  Interested.

Yes - the only map on that site that shows a pattern is the last one (age-adjusted suicide rates), and that has the Bush states with a much higher age-adjusted suicide rate than the Kerry states.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

tik (too cool for uppercase)
ComradeCarter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 01:45:53 am »
Ignore

how long until people begin referring to the "sadness belt"?

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 07:38:01 am »
Ignore

I'd have expected the states with the best healthcare coverage to have the highest rates of depression.  And somehow, I doubt the state of West Virginia can boast the "best healthcare coverage."

It's actually not that bad, b ut it is running out of money. It has a relatively strong prescription drug rebate.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout