Should it be illegal to have more than $10k in cash without government approval?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:07:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should it be illegal to have more than $10k in cash without government approval?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should it be illegal to have more than $10k in cash without government approval?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Should it be illegal to have more than $10k in cash without government approval?  (Read 2091 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2008, 01:04:32 PM »

No (Everyone who isn't J.J. or MODU)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »

God no. It's my damn money, and I'll do whatever I want with it.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »

It shouldn't be illegal and as far as I know it isn't.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »

Just stupid.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 02:53:57 PM »

You can withdraw any amout without government "approval".   Are you talking about bank reporting requirements?

Come to think of it WTF are you talking about?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »

You can withdraw any amout without government "approval".   Are you talking about bank reporting requirements?

J.J. claims it's illegal to have more than $10k in cash without notifying the government.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »

J.J. claims it's illegal to have more than $10k in cash without notifying the government.

I'll let my friend J. J. speak for himself but I'm sure he meant the banks must report withdrawls of over $10,000. taken out over a certain time frame (I don't know what it is cause I don't have the cash to care).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:05:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can HAVE any amount of cash on you, but you need bank notification to withdraw more than 10k because of the risk of identity theft.  Once the bank has confirmed that it is you and that you do, indeed, want 10k in cash they'll give it to you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 03:06:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can HAVE any amount of cash on you, but you need bank notification to withdraw more than 10k because of the risk of identity theft.  Once the bank has confirmed that it is you and that you do, indeed, want 10k in cash they'll give it to you.

Actually I think the reporting requirement is due to money laundering not identity theft.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:09:54 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2008, 11:12:37 PM by David S »

When my daughter graduated from college she decided to buy a new car. She used her savings from summer jobs and I kicked in the rest. Anyway she wrote a check for the whole price of the car. The dealer informed us that they had to notify the FBI (I think) because she paid cash as opposed to financing it, and the amount was over $10k. Apparently the government thinks only drug dealers can afford to buy a car without financing it. There wasn't really any problem doing it. Its just that the dealer had to notify the FBI.

But what a bunch of crap! Government doesn't trust people who pay cash. It used to be that paying cash was a sign of fiscal responsibility. But today our asshole government thinks its a sign that you're a dope dealer.  Same government that invented fiscal irresponsibility.

BTW if dope dealers can smuggle drugs into the country what makes government think the same people can't smuggle drug money out?

BTW 2 why the hell haven't we secured our borders if its so important to stop drug traffic? Government knows there are drugs being smuggled across the border daily. Could it be that there are people in our government who are profiting from it?

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 03:19:12 AM »

David is right.  The government hates it if you pay cash.  The government, as well as corporations, would prefer that we all used credit for everything, for obvious reasons.  Makes it easier for the government to spy on us, and easier for credit companies to track our every purchase and use it for marketing information.

The more people who use imaginary money to pay for what they want, the better for everyone in power.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:28:59 AM »

And of course, no one is smart enough to withdraw $9999.99 to get around this requirement. My parents paid for a used Nissan completely in cash, and no one ever complained.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:34 PM »

When my daughter graduated from college she decided to buy a new car. She used her savings from summer jobs and I kicked in the rest. Anyway she wrote a check for the whole price of the car. The dealer informed us that they had to notify the FBI (I think) because she paid cash as opposed to financing it, and the amount was over $10k. Apparently the government thinks only drug dealers can afford to buy a car without financing it. There wasn't really any problem doing it. Its just that the dealer had to notify the FBI.

But what a bunch of crap! Government doesn't trust people who pay cash. It used to be that paying cash was a sign of fiscal responsibility. But today our asshole government thinks its a sign that you're a dope dealer.  Same government that invented fiscal irresponsibility.

BTW if dope dealers can smuggle drugs into the country what makes government think the same people can't smuggle drug money out?

BTW 2 why the hell haven't we secured our borders if its so important to stop drug traffic? Government knows there are drugs being smuggled across the border daily. Could it be that there are people in our government who are profiting from it?

Why are you taking this so personally? Financial transactions have the potential to be very shady. It's really important that the gov't is making sure nothing fishy is going on. You remind me of the people who get all pissy when asked for an ID when they pay with a credit card. It's just a standardized procedure to prevent improprieties. Geez, find something better to complain about.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

David is right.  The government hates it if you pay cash.  The government, as well as corporations, would prefer that we all used credit for everything, for obvious reasons.  Makes it easier for the government to spy on us, and easier for credit companies to track our every purchase and use it for marketing information.

The more people who use imaginary money to pay for what they want, the better for everyone in power.

Of course you do realize that money itself is a completely imaginary good.

Personally I always prefer to pay in Cash; but then again at my age you don't make too much big transactions.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »

I think it makes sense to report transactions over $10,000. The probability of the money having been procured illegally definitely goes up the higher the amount in question.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2008, 01:30:28 AM »

Absolutely not.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »