Has your candidate of choice changed at all?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:53:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Has your candidate of choice changed at all?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Has your candidate of choice changed at all?  (Read 1483 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »

Its been 14 months since the 2006 mid-term elections, and thus 14 months since the 2008 Presidential Election campaign started.

Is the candidate your supporting now the same as it was in late 2006?

As for me, the answer is no.  I was supporting Bill Richardson right out of the gate, then went to John Edwards in the spring of 2007, then briefly went to the Republicans in general in the summer, then finally to Hillary Clinton in the fall of 2007 up through now.

I don't forsee it changing any between now and the end of the primaries.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:38:44 PM »

No. I have wanted to see Rudy become our next President since his leadership during 9/11. I was hoping he would replace Cheney on the Bush ticket in 2004, but it looks like it was better that he wasn't. I don't think anyone in the current administration would have done very well in an election in 2008.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:41:03 PM »

I originally supported Mark Warner for President, then I switched to Joe Biden/Chris Dodd.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:43:01 PM »

I supported Richardson early, but then I switched to Biden.  Of the Big Three Dems, my support for Clinton hasn't faded.  Of course, Michael Bloomberg became my ultimate choice sometime in the summer.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »

It has changed a lot and I mean a lot. I can't remember what dates I changed who I was supporting but here's a list of whom I have supported in the race for the Presidency of the United States.

1st candidate: Rudy Giuliani
2nd candidate: Mark Warner
3rd candidate: Evan Bayh
4th candidate: Mitt Romney
5th candidate: Bill Richardson
6th candidate: Ron Paul
7th candidate: Bill Richardson
8th candidate: Michael Bloomberg
9th candidate: Barack Obama

10th candidate: Michael Bloomberg (if he decides to run in 2008). Boy have I switched alot.
Andrew
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 06:01:24 PM »

I don't remember when Russ Feingold said that he wouldn't be running.  I had been hoping he'd run; when he said he wouldn't, I didn't really have a preference until I settled on Dodd.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2008, 06:06:58 PM by Bob Loblaw »

I supported Ridge until it was clear that he wasn't going to be running. I then supported Giuliani until it was clear that he would sell out to the establishment and then base his campaign around 9/11. I will shamefully admit that I supported Romney briefly until he decided to no longer be a moderate and say anything that he had to say to be elected.

I then remained unaffiliated for a little until Obama jumped in and I supported him for awhile. After Obama made a few gaffes and basically ran a terrible campaign, I was undecided once again. I flirted with the idea of supporting Paul but some of his policies, beliefs, and supporters are just too out there for me.

Right now, I think I'm supporting McCain simply because no other candidates really do anything for me. I've been highly critical of McCain in the past (in fact he's one of the candidates I disagree most with on the topic of Iraq) but I feel right now like he's the only one that deserves the office of president out of those who are running. I suppose my support of McCain is more reflective of the other candidates than McCain himself. I also think McCain has the best shot to derail Romney, who I now despise.

This could all change of course, we'll see...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

Feingold until he dropped out. Warner until he dropped out. Gore for a brief period until Edwards announced. Obama for a month or so (March or April). Then Edwards again.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 06:09:26 PM »

On the Republican side, I first supported McCain, then Giuliani for a bit (till I figured out how batsh**t crazy he is), and now I'm back to McCain.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 06:11:16 PM »

Stayed with Obama but I was always ready to switch to Gore if he ever would have jumped in
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:13:10 PM »

1: Russ Feingold
2: Mark Warner
3: Hillary Clinton
4: John Edwards
5: Barack Obama
6: Bill Richardson
7: Chris Dodd

7 switches in 14 months, pretty impressive. Wink
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »

Warner I've switched mine an impressive 9 times! In your face Tongue.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

And you've switched parties; that rips mine to shreds Tongue
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 06:16:47 PM »

And you've switched parties; that rips mine to shreds Tongue

Even more reason to boast about it. Now if only Lincoln Chafee can run, then drop out then Warner announces a surprise candidacy that should take it up to 12.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

I started off in 2006 supporting Biden, but then became a Mark Warner fan and gradually lost interest in Biden. After Warner dropped out, I became interested in Bayh, but wasn't terribly disappointed when he withdrew his hat from the ring.

In '07, it came down to Edwards, Obama, and Richardson. Due to his lackluster debate performances, I lost interest in Richardson. For a long time, I didn't have any real preference between Edwards and Obama. This past Fall, I started to prefer Edwards over Obama and regained interest in Biden.

As it stands right now, my choices in order of preference are:

Edwards
Biden
Obama
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 06:21:50 PM »

Gore was my first choice.

I always said that if he didn't run, I would support Russ Feingold or John Kerry.  (Not that I care about actually winning!)

After it was clear they were not running, I was truly stumped.  I agreed with Kucinich on most issues, but he struck me as more of a gadfly/crackpot.  The UFO nonsense really turned me off on him.

So I started watching the debates, watching Road to the White House on CSPAN and reading the newspapers, blogs, etc.

Two candidates stood head and shoulders above the rest, in my assessment.  I was already inclined to like Chris Dodd because he authored the Family and Medical Leave Act.  He also fought to insure that the Act's new child leave included adoptive parents. It tremendously helped my wife and I (and our adopted daughter).  But there was also his vision of an America that was better than Abu Ghraib, better than Guantanamo, better than warrantless wiretapping and better than torture.  He gave a damn about the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, unlike a lot of Republicans AND Democrats.  He answered every debate question articulately and honestly.  He seemed to have a good control of facts -- whether the issue was military, agricultural, environmental or something else.  So he won me over.  Even though I knew another New England liberal did not add up to a general election win.  Been there, done that, eh?

The second candidate who stood above the crowd was Joe Biden.  I always loved his candor, his wonderful sense of humor.  He was having fun in the debates...almost playing.  But when the issues came to his lectern, he was deadly serious.  When he said Pakistan should be America's biggest concern, I was all ears.  I thought that before 9-11.  And even more so now.  Now that Bhutto has been murdered, Joe Biden sounds like a prophet.   My hesitation was his tendancy toward bloviation and the inopportune, smart-alec remark.  

But I came down on Dodd and Biden (in that order) pretty much after the first televised debate.  I'm still there.  And, of course, I am sure I'll have to re-assess matters after Iowa, or New Hampshire.  I had hoped that Bill Richardson would establish himself as an impressive backup choice...but he has fumbled, mumbled and stumbled through the entire primary.  Particularly in debates.

So we'll see.  Of the big three, my heart is with Edwards.  But it's his rhetoric I like...I am not sold on the man.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

Kucinich. That's all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »

I originally backed Evan Bayh for the Democratic nomination in 2006, though I eventually switched my support over to Mark Warner instead, only to swing back to Bayh after Warner announced he was not running for the nomination after the 2006 mid-term elections. 

After Bayh followed suit, for a long time I refused to support anyone.  Only in the summer (I think) of last year did I tepidly support Hillary Clinton.  I remained behind her until McCain rose from the dead late last month, and from then on I have been backing him. 
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »

Clark
Edwards
Richardson
Biden
Clinton
Edwards
Dodd
Edwards

Had Gore appeared, instant switch to him.
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »

No.  I have only supported Ron Paul.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 07:50:58 PM »

I started as a Bill Richardson supporter but lost faith in his ability to be competitive after his repeated miserable debate performances.  I trended Clinton for a while but ultimately landed in the Biden camp after hearing a speech he gave on fiscal policy.  He really sounds like the only candidate with more than a college freshman level understanding of economics.  Sadly he doesn't stand a chance though as the media has already decided that this is a 2-horse race on the Dem side and they neglect convering anyone else.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 08:06:45 PM »

I've supported Paul since he announced an exploratory committee.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 11:15:42 PM »

ive been a dodd supporter since the start.  i will vote for him if he is still in the race on feb 5.

im also a huge hillary clinton fan.  she would make an excellent president.  if dodd drops out, i would support hillary without any reluctance.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »

Mark Warner > Chuck Hagel > Bill Richardson (more or less) > John Edwards. I thought at various times of supporting Clinton, Obama, or McCain.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:54 PM »

No, I decided on Obama very early in 2007 and have stuck with him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies