Do you think Dwight Eisenhower was a good President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:34:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Well you do?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Do you think Dwight Eisenhower was a good President?  (Read 17868 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2008, 03:49:16 AM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »

Yes I do, and it is good to see that you have switched over to the Democrats, Rocky! Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:46:49 AM »

Yes. '52 and '56 were rare elections, where the electorate couldn't go wrong.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »

What about '44 and '76?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:01:01 AM »

What about '44 and '76?

But the electorate did go wrong in '76.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »

sure he was 'good'.  perfectly adequate.  but certainly not great.

he dragged his feet on civil rights.  had no real interest in the matter.  he let the situation in little rock spiral out of control before he stepped in.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:06:38 PM »

Eisenhower was a decent President, adequate, not great, but he was not nearly as good a President as he was a commanding general.

By the way, "Rockefeller Republican," thumbs down on your avatar change to red.

You should now change your name to "Harriman Democrat," as you are no longer a Republican at all.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 02:13:34 PM »

You should now change your name to "Harriman Democrat," as you are no longer a Republican at all.

And I guess since it's an Illinois avatar, he must be living in that state now too, right?

On this forum, an avatar is not always an accurate descriptor for that person.  Just because he supports Obama doesn't mean he is no longer a Republican.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 02:27:17 PM »

A great infrastructure President.  A very good and decent man.  Decidely non-religious, meaning he would never get elected today. And prescient with his warning about the military-industrial complex.

But he got us involved in Southeast Asia and, as someone already pointed out, was slow to pick up the vision for civil rights.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 02:45:06 PM »

A very good President. Competent, decent, moderate. He was a Republican, but he didn't try to destroy the New Deal like later Republicans would; in fact, he expanded it. He built the highways and began NASA. He also appointed some great supreme court justices, in Brennan and Warren.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »

I agree with WalterMitty and Tammany Hall Republican.

Eisenhower was a good President, but not a great President. Eisenhower got the federal highway act passed and he led a stable economy.

But on the downside, he was a lackluster President. But, it was not his fault for some part, the congress was very democratic beginning in early 1955 and to the end of his term. Eisenhower put forth good legislation, but it failed to come forth because of the congress.

I believe that eh could have been a near great President, had it not been for the democratic congress. Thank you.

Tell me, Gporter, have you read Master of the Senate?  If you had, then you know that LBJ and Rayburn bent over backwards to work with Eisenhower, and they passed everything he asked for.  Hack!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 10:16:37 PM »

He also appointed some great supreme court justices, in Brennan and Warren.

The two biggest mistakes Eisenhower made actually.

He only appointed Brennan because his advisers believed the appointment of a Catholic Democrat from the northeast would gain favor with Democratic voters, as the appointment was made shortly before the 1956 election, as a recess appointment.

Eisenhower himself said that his appointment of Warren was the biggest mistake of his Presidency. He had not expected Warren to be so liberal.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 10:20:09 PM »

He only appointed Brennan because his advisers believed the appointment of a Catholic Democrat from the northeast would gain favor with Democratic voters, as the appointment was made shortly before the 1956 election, as a recess appointment.

Eisenhower himself said that his appointment of Warren was the biggest mistake of his Presidency. He had not expected Warren to be so liberal.

I agree with you, Tammany, on everything except the first sentence.  I think Warren and Brennan were two of the greatest Justices the SCOTUS ever had.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 10:20:46 PM »

And I guess since it's an Illinois avatar, he must be living in that state now too, right?

On this forum, an avatar is not always an accurate descriptor for that person.  Just because he supports Obama doesn't mean he is no longer a Republican.

Well, if one says they are a Democrat, than I can only take them at their word  that they are a Democrat.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 10:23:18 PM »

I agree with you, Tammany, on everything except the first sentence.  I think Warren and Brennan were two of the greatest Justices the SCOTUS ever had.

You and I shall agree to disagree in this matter then.

That is, after all, the essence of democracy.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »

Well, if one says they are a Democrat, than I can only take them at their word  that they are a Democrat.

Has he said that he is a Democrat?  I must have missed the occasion.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:42:05 PM »

Has he said that he is a Democrat?  I must have missed the occasion.

Nit picker.

You know very well that in this format, i.e. the internet, what is posted by the poster is understood to be the statement of that poster.

Nevertheless, if you insist on bringing this down to an extremely elementary level so that anyone can understand, revision follows

Well, if one posts they are a Democrat, then I can only take their post as their factual written affirmation that they are a Democrat.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:16:08 PM »

Good grief, I see that Rockefeller Republican is back to an independent avatar again, from yet another state, at least, as of this posting.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 12:04:34 AM »

Good grief, I see that Rockefeller Republican is back to an independent avatar again, from yet another state, at least, as of this posting.

Well I've changed it back to I-ME because I am running for the Governorship of the Northeast. BTW: Winfield what does my avatar have to do with this topic of Do you think Dwight Eisenhower was a Good President?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 01:30:37 AM »

Well I've changed it back to I-ME because I am running for the Governorship of the Northeast. BTW: Winfield what does my avatar have to do with this topic of Do you think Dwight Eisenhower was a Good President?

To answer that question, you may want to refer to page 1, second post, which is from Warner for Senate '08, who was the first to refer to your change to Democrat.

Really, your avatar has nothing to do with the subject matter, however, have you read some of the threads in this forum?  Many of them go off topic quickly and remain off topic for some time, some never back on topic.  At least I addressed the original question, as did Warner.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »

No.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 10:02:53 AM »

Better than any Republican President since. Did a lot of good things (or at least didn't attempt to stop them from happening) but could've done a lot more.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 10:12:09 AM »

Yes.

Unfortunately he was rather passive when it came to issues he genuinely cared about. He was a great help to his successor, Kennedy during the Cuban Missile Crisis
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2008, 03:51:26 PM by 21st Century Pharisees »

He was a foreign policy disaster - even from a "US Interests" POV (perhaps more so actually, considering that when Eisenhower and the US interfered in the Suez crisis in order to 'calm down' Eden & the French (which was one of the best moments of his presidency) the Americans will widely seen as "the good guys" in the Arab world over the imperalist French & English....... *sigh*
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies