BREAKING-MS: Musgrove will run for Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:24:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  BREAKING-MS: Musgrove will run for Senate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BREAKING-MS: Musgrove will run for Senate  (Read 3497 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2008, 11:27:44 PM »

I don't really see any way that he wins, but at least he's going to run:

OXFORD, Miss. --Former Mississippi Gov. Ronnie Musgrove confirmed to The Associated Press on Friday that he will run for the U.S. Senate.

Musgrove plans to hold a series of news conferences Monday in Tupelo, Jackson, Hattiesburg and Gulfport.

"I'll be announcing, yes," Musgrove told the AP in a telephone interview from his law office in Madison County.

http://www.sunherald.com/306/story/279284.html

Maybe if Obama runs he can get a record high black turnout? What is the ceiling for a Democrat running for president in Mississippi, about 48%?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 11:38:28 PM »

He will get a big boost if Obama is the nominee. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:37 PM »

Senator Musgrove, here we come Cheesy
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »

You're kidding, right? By the way, what do you think Barack Obama could get in Mississippi? Any conceivable chance he could win on record-high black turnout?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:43:23 PM »

I HIGHLY doubt Obama would have a chance, but Mississippians have a history of splitting their ballots.  Gene Taylor always gets +60% in a district where Bush does as well.  Haley Barbour gets 58% while Jim Hood gets over 60%.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2008, 11:45:22 PM by Verily »

You're kidding, right? By the way, what do you think Barack Obama could get in Mississippi? Any conceivable chance he could win on record-high black turnout?

Absolutely no way. Even if black turnout surpassed white turnout and there was a swing of a couple of points to Obama in both demographics, highly unlikely even under ideal circumstances, Obama would still be about 4% short of winning Mississippi.

I will say, however, that race may indeed be a factor in Mississippi in a way it isn't in states where the election is decided, although given the incredibly strong racial voting patterns in MS already (around 80% of whites vote GOP and around 90% of blacks vote Dem), that may have no significant impact.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:03 PM »

Absolutely no way. Even if black turnout surpassed white turnout and there was a swing of a couple of points to Obama in both demographics, highly unlikely even under ideal circumstances, Obama would still be about 4% short of winning Mississippi.

Yeah.  If Guiliani were the nominee and the Religious Right organized a mass boycott of the election, and blacks shattered record turnout marks, then he MIGHT have a chance.  Short of that very unlikely scenario, we need to concentrate on winning Mississippi in the SENATE race, not the presidential one.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:49:28 PM »

Well, if Bloomberg runs, I'd imagine he wouldn't have a lot of black support, so he might be able to chip a few percentage points of the Republican in Mississippi, allowing Obama to squeak in with a plurality.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 11:50:23 PM »

Well, if Bloomberg runs, I'd imagine he wouldn't have a lot of black support, so he might be able to chip a few percentage points of the Republican in Mississippi, allowing Obama to squeak in with a plurality.
No one in Mississippi is going to vote for Bloomberg.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 11:50:47 PM »

What is the black population in Mississippi? About 40% of the electorate?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 11:53:16 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2008, 11:56:35 PM by Verily »

Maybe, but I don't see it. The South is easily the most partisanly loyal area in the country; see the 1992 and 1980 results for Perot and Anderson. Of course, it goes back much further than that, but citing Roosevelt in 1912 might be seen as stretching history to modern standards, given the overwhelming dominance of the Solid South by Democrats at the time. Still, the principle is the same.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 11:53:49 PM »

What is the black population in Mississippi? About 40% of the electorate?

37%
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 11:58:26 PM »

Well, Perot got 8% in MS. If Bloomberg gets 25-30% of the national popular vote, he could get double digits in Mississippi. Of course, I have no idea where Perot's 8% came from.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »

Well, Perot got 8% in MS. If Bloomberg gets 25-30% of the national popular vote, he could get double digits in Mississippi. Of course, I have no idea where Perot's 8% came from.

Comparing 1992 to 1996, Perot went down by 4% and Clinton went up by 4% with Republicans not changing at all, which would suggest that Perot's voters were either mostly black or mostly some of the few white Democrats (the latter seems more likely to me, actually), but without an exit poll one can't say for certain. His candidacy certainly didn't help Democrats, though Bloomberg's would be of a very different tone.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »

This will at least give us a fighting chance.  If it's Obama v. Romney, then he might be able to slip in based on the large black turnout and the possibility of Southern Evangelicals not going to the polls at all.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »

D +12
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »

With no Moore or Hood, Musgrove is about the only other viable candidate the Dems could hope for... still strong lean to the GOP.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:47:51 AM »

Barack Obama would be capable of getting up to 43% of the vote in Mississippi I would predict, which is what Bill Clinton managed in 1996.  Who knows?  If African-American turnout rises in a big way with the first black ever nominated for President and young people, who gave Kerry a majority in Mississippi in 2004, are inspired to vote, Obama could surprise many people in the South, not just Missisippi.  I'm not going to go as far as saying he could win, but he could potentially do better than just about any Democratic nominee since Jimmy Carter.  Up to 46% of the vote in Mississippi and South Carolina.  Around 43% of the vote in Alabama.  He could tap into Harold Ford, Jr's base of support in Tenessee and get 45%-47% there.

Anyway regardless, I'm pleased Musgrove is running.  It gives Democrats at least a viable shot at the seat.  I'd like to see some polling - I'd predict that Wicker would lead Musgrove about 43%-40%, or possibly lower, with many undecided.  I wouldn't be surprised if the race ended up mirroring Trent Lott vs. Wayne Dowdy in 1988, about 54%-45% for Wicker. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 02:24:57 PM »

Adlai says...>>Anyway regardless, I'm pleased Musgrove is running.  It gives Democrats at least a viable shot at the seat.<<

I think so, too.  Obama's only chance at the state is a Republican collapse of McGovernesque proportions.  And even then, if the Huckster is on the ticket?  Not likely.

But Musgrove?  I dunno.  I think we're looking at a formerly SAFE R seat that is now LEAN R.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 02:54:30 PM »

He must have heard some good news on the Hood legal front. This is quite surprising...
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »

What is the ceiling for a Democrat running for president in Mississippi, about 48%?

Short of the rapture happening before November, low to mid 40s.
Rococo4

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 03:50:30 PM »

good luck sir.  good luck getting to the 43-44% mark.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

What is the ceiling for a Democrat running for president in Mississippi, about 48%?

Short of the rapture happening before November, low to mid 40s.

The disturbing part is that the floor is only a few points below the ceiling...
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 05:04:09 PM »

There's no way Obama, or any other Democrat gets even close to a win in Mississippi. Us Dems should just keep our hopes up for Musgrove, where there is at least a possibility.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 05:05:40 PM »

Assuming there is no third party candidate, I would say somewhere between 40-46%.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies