Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:06:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Alaskan capital to be moved from Juneau to Anchorage?  (Read 2157 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »

There are plenty of other states with capitols in unlikely places:  Nevada, California, Washington just to name a few.

Olympia is not too oddly placed. I don't know where else you would put the capitol. I believe Sacramento is the capital city because of the gold rush, so it makes sense. Same sort of reasoning for Carson City, especially since Las Vegas only became a large city within the latter part of the century. The weirdest capital city location would have to be Florida after Alaska.

Just as Juneau was the opportune sight for the capitol thanks to the gold rush and fishing industries.  Anchorage has only become a larger city in the past 30 years as well.  The oldest cities in Alaska are located in the panhandle.

Lewis:

If the Northwest Angle had ferry and air services several times a day with over 30,000 inhabitants and it was chosen to be the capital city in the beginning, I wouldn't mind it much.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49:25 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2008, 10:52:30 PM by memphis »

There are plenty of other states with capitols in unlikely places:  Nevada, California, Washington just to name a few.

Olympia is not too oddly placed. I don't know where else you would put the capitol. I believe Sacramento is the capital city because of the gold rush, so it makes sense. Same sort of reasoning for Carson City, especially since Las Vegas only became a large city within the latter part of the century. The weirdest capital city location would have to be Florida after Alaska.

I'd say Wyoming has the weirdest capital location in the lower 48. Also, DC is nowhere near the middle of the US. Memphis would make a much better federal capital Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 06:00:17 AM »

If the Northwest Angle had ferry and air services several times a day with over 30,000 inhabitants
It would have these things soon enough if it was the capital. Cheesy
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I know. I'm kidding. My only objection to Juneau is that it wasn't chosen to be the capital city in the beginning. The capital was only moved there during the Gold Rush. Alaska's true  capital is of course Sitka.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »

This came really close to happening, back in the 80s. The state plowed land to put buildings on, made some new roads. Then it fell through. Some evidence of that still remains. On the Parks Highway, around Wasilla, there are still road signs directing you to the Capital buildings and roads. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies