Gully Foyle's Ireland Place
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Gully Foyle's Ireland Place
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gully Foyle's Ireland Place  (Read 8385 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:34:19 PM »

Here is where I shall be stacking my specially created Ireland-related maps in future. I have also posted this in the Gallery but very few people visit there so...

Here is my first map (and may be my last for a while..) Some things aren't perfect (the Islands and the manually drawn constituency boundaries especially; though they make up very few though most constituencies have changed slightly in the past six years - I used the 2007 map as template)

For the foreigners here I'll just quote my gallery post to give you information...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:42:20 AM »

A supplementary map on Turnout again also posted at the Gallery:

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:33:43 AM »

Put to good use Grin
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:43:59 AM »

Indeed. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:42 AM »

Might want to fill in the little islands off Ireland, would look nicer.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:12:50 AM »

Might want to fill in the little islands off Ireland, would look nicer.

I know. I *tried* doing that but for some reason Microsoft Paint failed on me.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 08:52:50 AM »

I look forward to future maps... Grin
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »

Given the close result and the United Ireland map, I wonder how the North would have voted actually.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:04 PM »

Given the close result and the United Ireland map, I wonder how the North would have voted actually.

If that was the case I suspect that the result in the Republic would be different too. LocalismTribalismSectaranism and all that..

Anyway I'll post these maps which I have already in the Gallery here aswell, they are interesting.. though flawed but I'll get more feedback here.

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 07:08:44 PM »

And this Farmers should remove some of the confusion..

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 07:38:04 AM »

It's interesting just to how big a degree the south east of Dublin stands out from everywhere else.

I must say I was also a little surprised Cork County has so many more in Classes 1&2 than most. It's interesting in comparison with Cork city and Limerick and Galway.

I knew Monaghan was likely to be above average on the skilled manual scale but wouldn't have figured it at what seems to be the top of the scale.

I think the farmer numbers are interesting as well. Carlow; Westmeath; Longford ;and Donegal stand out.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 08:03:04 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2008, 09:22:29 PM by D18. »

The Funny thing is that is just Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown and not the D4\D6 area which is officially part of the city but also on the South East 'side' - if you included that then the difference would be even greater..

So in other words, proving how much better we are than the rest of the country. Grin

Also Waterford... which I foolishly drew too small.

As for Cork, Galway and Limerick most of their suburbs are technically outside their city limits - as from experience these include some very well off areas (Like Castelconell in Limerick or Salthill in Galway..) and that would explain those numbers.

Yep. Along with Wexford on that scale but highest over all..

Given that I had work with numerical data at first the thing that really stood out were the 345 farmers registered in Dublin City...
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »

Given that we will have a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty this year, old maps of previous referendums on the EU will be provided.

First of all, The First Nice Treaty Referendum in Ireland. The only one which ever was rejected (one reason why: Look at the Turnout.)

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 01:32:49 PM »

The pattern, especially around Dublin, looks very like the occupation maps posted earlier.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »

The pattern, especially around Dublin, looks very like the occupation maps posted earlier.

This would even more obvious if I could ever get a map of Dublin Ward-by-ward. Though I don't know whether or not they count referendum data by such a breakdown. (I don't think they would..)

Anyway the "We are a still a Democracy but you gave the Wrong answer" referendum, Ie. Nice II below:

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 02:08:53 PM »

The turnaround is rather stunning, even if it's only in turnout differences.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 02:11:22 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2008, 08:21:00 PM by POE »

The turnaround is rather stunning, even if it's only in turnout differences.

Numerically between the two Referendums the "No" Vote only increased by about 5,000 votes; while just under 500,000 more turned up.

Anyway Abolishment of the Death Penalty (which was already de facto abolished anyway prior to 2001; held on the same day as Nice I) - the referendum was EU Decreed.

EDIT: Added another slightly unrelated map - people with college degrees. The Red Ts mark major universities.

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

Donegal's stance on Nice is fascinating. I have no idea as to why it was so much against the Treaty compared to elsewhere (except maybe Kerry North).

I hadn't realised the Death Penalty one was an EU thing (I can't see why it should have been, the last execution being what? the 50's and it being removed from the statute books around 1989/90?). Would have been interesting to see how the numbers would have changed on this had it had the benefit of the extra voters for Nice II. I presume it would have made it a huge win.
Cavan-Monaghan's strength here pleasantly surprises.

For the college degrees, Limerick's relative lack of graduates compared to Galway and Cork stands out. I think what would be (and will continue to be) intersting here is how this stat has changed over time. For the future it should be a good indicator of the success or otherwise of the National Development Plan.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 05:32:19 PM »
« Edited: February 02, 2008, 05:43:03 PM by POE »

For Comparsion the 1998 Treaty of Amsterdam referendum, though it must be said some of the constituencies boundaries *may* be wrong - data on this is actually difficult to find. But the contrast to Nice I and Nice II is quite noteworthy (especially given that - more so than Nice - this treaty was about giving slightly more democratic reform - reform of the EU parliament especially.)

Things of Note:
1. Turnout: Much higher than Nice I and still higher than Nice II - which were held respectively 3 and 4 years later.

2. In Dublin the pattern did not change much from Nice (West and North Central Dublin being most Anti): But South (East) Dublin here was not the most pro-EU part of the country - that would be rural connacht - and the number one constituency for yes was Longford-Roscommon (66.72%) while in both Nice referendum Dun Laoghaire recorded the best "yes".

3. What happened in South West Munster? Nice II did better here.

4. Donegal was just below the national Average here. So what happened in Nice? (I suspect it has something to do with the fisheries...)

As I said the Fisheries and the common belief in Donegal that they are constantly ignored by the other 25 Counties and by Dublin in particular. I may be wrong but..

As for Kerry North - the Anti-EU vote and the Sinn Fein vote are probably interconnected. Though I admit I know very little about this constituency except that it is probably out of all the constituencies the most dependant on Tourist Income for their local economy (that's a guess btw).

I'm not too sure tbh; all I can recall is that it was held on the same day as Nice I (and the International Criminal Court referendum) and the other two were EU prerogitatives. I suspect it has something to do with putting the ban in the constitution - but I can't be sure on this. And up until 1990 or so there were "Death Row Prisoners" IIRC in Ireland though none were ever executed or were ever had a chance of beinge executed despite the sentence. (Obviously there weren't many; and one of those prisoners IIRC was later found to be innocent.)

Btw Jas, do you recall the 1999 Local government referendum - apart from my bafflement at what exactly it was about - would you happen to have any idea why it was so strange - Turnout wise? 75% in Leitrim, 34% in South Dublin? It was held the same day as EU parliament elections if that explains anything..
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »

2. In Dublin the pattern did not change much from Nice (West and North Central Dublin being most Anti): But South (East) Dublin here was not the most pro-EU part of the country - that would be rural connacht - and the number one constituency for yes was Longford-Roscommon (66.72%) while in both Nice referendum Dun Laoghaire recorded the best "yes".

3. What happened in South West Munster? Nice II did better here.

4. Donegal was just below the national Average here. So what happened in Nice? (I suspect it has something to do with the fisheries...)

As I said the Fisheries and the common belief in Donegal that they are constantly ignored by the other 25 Counties and by Dublin in particular. I may be wrong but..

As for Kerry North - the Anti-EU vote and the Sinn Fein vote are probably interconnected. Though I admit I know very little about this constituency except that it is probably out of all the constituencies the most dependant on Tourist Income for their local economy (that's a guess btw).

The SF influence in Kerry is probably a good point, and would probably help out in Donegal as well.
Fisheries is also a fair proposition, though we'd require non-existant more localised returns (presumably the Killybegs hinterland) to give more credence to that theory.

The contrast between Nice II and Amsterdam is quite something. The movement of the strong yes belt from the Mayo-Louth line southwards to a Clare-Meath line is another oe of many things beyond my ability to explain.

On the tourist income thing, Kerry North is probably very high on the list. If I had to make a bet though I'd guess Kerry South might just edge it.

Btw Jas, do you recall the 1999 Local government referendum - apart from my bafflement at what exactly it was about - would you happen to have any idea why it was so strange - Turnout wise? 75% in Leitrim, 34% in South Dublin? It was held the same day as EU parliament elections if that explains anything..

I was just looking at the figures...
Dublin's figures being low don't surprise terribly - IIRC that's not unusual where Local or European elections are held.

For the high figures, I'm presuming it may have been due to a combination of a relatively low population and having a candidate (or candidates) in the European election. IIRC, Joe McCartin MEP (FG-Connacht/Ulster) was from Leitrim - which presumably helped bump turnout in Ireland's least populated county.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

Not in 2001\2. SF only began building an organisation there after the 2002 election. Though for Lisbon it's going to be a factor.

Possibly. Though I think that Kerry South has alot more farmers and Killarney is alot more affulent than Tralee is.

Perhaps, that is still higher than many General Election turnouts.

Also the Amsterdam map coincides with the map of farmers than the Nice maps do. Weren't there CAP reforms between that period (or was it later, I cannae remember)?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 08:00:19 PM »

Possibly. Though I think that Kerry South has alot more farmers and Killarney is alot more affulent than Tralee is.

Killarney probably is more afluent, but I'd put this down to having a stronger tourist industry.

Perhaps, that is still higher than many General Election turnouts.

Also the Amsterdam map coincides with the map of farmers than the Nice maps do. Weren't there CAP reforms between that period (or was it later, I cannae remember)?

The most significant CAP reform (for Irish farmers anyway) in recent years, decoupling, was IIRC brought in after Nice (though may have been known about beforehand). The strong evident correlation though would imply that the farmers' vote is connected to the shift.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 08:01:11 PM »

Isn't Donegal also one of the best regions for SF IIRC?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »

Of late. I think it's a recent development.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 05:48:20 AM »

Of late. I think it's a recent development.

Essentially. They only started building up a strong vote there after the 2002 elections and did well in the 2004 locals and were widely expected to win one - if not two - seats in Donegal at the last GE - but failed.

Anyway support for SF at local level doesn't explain it fully - Cavan\Monaghan has a SF TD and has had one since 1997 yet there is little evidence of there being in these maps of any strong Anti-EU vote outside of the typical 20-30ish percent.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies