The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:43:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb  (Read 8075 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »

What does Obama need?
1. Military expericen
2. Foreign policy savvy
3. Understanding of the Middles East
4. Someone who can help him win in VA/NC
5. A pugnacious vet who can rip John McCain apart

The man who can deliver for Obama is Jim Webb. A Vietnam war vet turned Navy Secretary under Reagan turned swing state Senator.  Webb also oozes testosterone his presence on the ticket would add a much-needed macho boost for the Democratic Party. Webb's military heroism would inoculate from backlash when he attacks John McCain.

Webb also adds the right experience to the ticket. His knowledge of Iraqi history is simply unparalleled in the U.S Senate. On Meet the Press and other pundit shows he's dominated his Republican jousting partners. He wouldn't be cowed in a debate against whomever the GOP nominates for VP.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2008, 06:43:43 PM by Angry Weasel »

What does Obama need?
1. Military expericen
2. Foreign policy savvy

The man who can deliver for Obama is Jim Webb. A Vietnam war vet turned Navy Secretary under Reagan turned swing state Senator.  Webb also oozes testosterone his presence on the ticket would add a much-needed macho boost for the Democratic Party. Webb's military heroism would inoculate from backlash when he attacks John McCain.

Webb also adds the right experience to the ticket. His knowledge of Iraqi history is simply unparalleled in the U.S Senate. On Meet the Press and other pundit shows he's dominated his Republican jousting partners. He wouldn't be cowed in a debate against whomever the GOP nominates for VP.

Good Morning, America! Obama Webb '08

...and we don't have to worry about what would happen if he won...there are still tons of candidates that could keep the seat in VA...like Tim Kaine. I also would hope that Webb could talk Obama out of ending the space program (which might swing me...space is cool)
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:18:48 PM »

Nope.  He, like Obama has exactly 2 yrs in the senate.  Obama is going to need some experience to offset his lack of experience on the ticket.  Webb aint it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »

What does Obama need?
1. Military expericen
2. Foreign policy savvy

You make a solid and compelling case for Webb as the Vice Presidential nominee.  However, I do not believe a first term Senator running for President would go with another first term Senator for his running mate.

My choice is Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina, older than Obama, experienced, accomplished, with a good reputation as chief executive of the state.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »

Nope.  He, like Obama has exactly 2 yrs in the senate.  Obama is going to need some experience to offset his lack of experience on the ticket.  Webb aint it.

Uhhhhh... undersecretary of the Navy?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 02:08:48 AM »

I think Joe Biden would be a better VP for Obama than Webb would.  Actually he might even be the best VP Obama could pick.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 02:14:31 AM »

Webb would be a good choice for Obama, if he is nominated, which day by day seems more likely. But he doesn't have experience. Sure he was Undersecretary of the Navy in the Reagan Administration but he has only been the Senate for the exact duration Obama has. So that rules him out.

Obama needs experience to seal the deal and become 44th President of the United States. Someone like Joe Biden or Mike Easley would be an excellent match for him. Both have extensive experience in American politics, one in the Senate for nearly 35 years and the other who has been a successful Governor of a Southern state.

Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:47 AM »

If picked and then the ticket wins, Barack Obama and Jim Webb would be the team with the most meteoric rise in the history of American politics.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:05:39 AM »

I could see Obama picking Webb. Probably Obama likes the Irish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samantha_Power

(Maybe the next US Sec. of State ?)

Better for Obama would be Easley or Sebelius ...
Bruce D.
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:10:04 AM »

Don't push him, please! Let him finish High School first and then put him on the ballot (especially Obama not so much Webb).
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 07:06:56 AM »

I'm not sure about Webb. Should Obama win the nomination it's very likely that he will be attacked on two issues - a) his perceived inexperience, and b) that his concensual, bipartisan style is all a facade and that the Democrats are deep down, still, "angry" and "bitter" over the Bush years. Webb wouldn't really help Obama on either of these. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Webb on the ticket but it might actually do Obama more harm than good. I still think Nelson or Edwards would be better suited as running mates.
Bruce D.
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »

The most promising presidential running mate would deffinitely be John Edwards. My prediction is Obama/Edwards vs. McCain/Huckabee. If I will be proved right, wouldn't this be a thrilling election?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »

BIDEN!!!

Seriously...a son who is scheduled to serve in Iraq during the campaign, a job in the real world and a person who, because of his home state, has the experience andability to genuinely connect with constituents, exceptional foregn policy experience, a real desire to create change (and the knowledge to do it), and safe enough to keep Obama's high levels of support from independents intact.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »

I just don't think it is a good idea to nominate two Senators with a combined tenure of 6 years.  Other than that, though, Webb is a good pick.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 03:58:28 PM »

BIDEN!!!

Seriously...a son who is scheduled to serve in Iraq during the campaign, a job in the real world and a person who, because of his home state, has the experience andability to genuinely connect with constituents, exceptional foregn policy experience, a real desire to create change (and the knowledge to do it), and safe enough to keep Obama's high levels of support from independents intact.

Exactly!  Plus Webb has alot of baggage(Annapolis women are only sex objects thing)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:29:23 PM »

Oh. That. Hasn't he overcome that with his 06 victory?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 10:34:46 PM »

No way, Clinton winning in '92 did'nt stop earlier issues from cropping up again.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 11:10:06 AM »

I think Senator Jay Rockefeller would be the ideal choice for Obama's Vice President.  He's been a Governor for two terms, and a Senator since 1985 after that.  True, he is 71 years-old, but if John McCain ends up being the Republican nominee I don't think that baggage is too heavy to bear.  Rockefeller comes from West Virginia - a key state in the 2008 campaign and one it would be good for the Democrats to solidify.  Also, if he is chosen, there is a Democratic Governor waiting to appoint his replacement and a deep Democratic bench in the state.  Obama/Rockefeller has a nice ring to it. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2008, 01:06:50 PM »

A former Secretary of the Navy doesn't cut it?

Would Wes Clark cut it?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 11:38:37 AM »

I think Senator Jay Rockefeller would be the ideal choice for Obama's Vice President.  He's been a Governor for two terms, and a Senator since 1985 after that.  True, he is 71 years-old, but if John McCain ends up being the Republican nominee I don't think that baggage is too heavy to bear.  Rockefeller comes from West Virginia - a key state in the 2008 campaign and one it would be good for the Democrats to solidify.  Also, if he is chosen, there is a Democratic Governor waiting to appoint his replacement and a deep Democratic bench in the state.  Obama/Rockefeller has a nice ring to it. 

And you could be sure that Rockefeller Republicans would be so no more... Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 04:13:26 PM »

For VP, Webb is a non starter.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 04:34:59 PM »

However, Rockefeller is that great of a Senator.  He frequently misses votes, and as far as I know there has not been any major legislation associated with him.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »

Please explain why.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 06:10:27 PM »

Simply put

Obama first term Senator + Webb first term Senator  = non starter

Webb meets the white male requirement that Obama will require for a running mate, however, Obama as well requires someone with more elective political maturity than Webb has.

Webb is not a particularly likeable politician.  He can be brash and blunt. 

As well, he has written controversial articles about women in the military and women in combat in the past, which may come back to haunt him as the VP candidate.  Not that I agree statements made so many years ago should have any bearing on a campaign, however, some might.

Webb is a strong proponent of gun rights, and could therefore be at odds with much of the Democratic base.

Obama does not need the controversy in his campaign of being politically inexperienced and of having a politically inexperienced running mate, nor the potential controversy of having a running mate whose past views on women in the military and in combat may be viewed as sexist by some, nor the potential fall out of having to defend a running mate who is a pro gun advocate.

All considered, I believe Webb is a non starter to become the running mate for Obama. 
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 11:15:06 PM »

Simply put

Obama first term Senator + Webb first term Senator  = non starter

Webb meets the white male requirement that Obama will require for a running mate, however, Obama as well requires someone with more elective political maturity than Webb has.

Webb is not a particularly likeable politician.  He can be brash and blunt. 

As well, he has written controversial articles about women in the military and women in combat in the past, which may come back to haunt him as the VP candidate.  Not that I agree statements made so many years ago should have any bearing on a campaign, however, some might.

Webb is a strong proponent of gun rights, and could therefore be at odds with much of the Democratic base.

Obama does not need the controversy in his campaign of being politically inexperienced and of having a politically inexperienced running mate, nor the potential controversy of having a running mate whose past views on women in the military and in combat may be viewed as sexist by some, nor the potential fall out of having to defend a running mate who is a pro gun advocate.

All considered, I believe Webb is a non starter to become the running mate for Obama. 

Thanks for listing your reasons.

First, Webb has a vast amount of experience in government, which would eviscerate the anti-experience argument.

Second, Webb is a political pugilist, his muscular tone will help O'bambi reach white males.

Third, George Allen spent millions on TV ads replete with the supposedly misogynist quotes form Jim Webb. The commercials were so effective that  scandal-plagued Allen narrowly won reelection. Oh wait, that never happened!

Fourth, Webb's gun rights support will help Obama, who's too restrictionist on this issue, moderate his profile.

Fifth, Webb's controversy have passed the media's statute of limitations. They're no longer revelant and would barely be covered by the press. His attack-dog posturing would repel the charges if they were repeated by the media.

Finally, Jim Webb is the one politician in America with enough military credibility to directly attack John McCain. That will be a crucial asset in the GE.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies