The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:20:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The VP pick for Obama: Jim Webb  (Read 8036 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 11:29:51 PM »

You make a good case for your man.

Perhaps you should send your ideas to the Obama campaign.

But does the nod go to Webb?  My opinion, no.

But who knows, you could be on to something.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »

Finally, Jim Webb is the one politician in America with enough military credibility to directly attack John McCain. That will be a crucial asset in the GE.

I think this is the key reason why Webb will be near the top of the list of VP options for either Clinton or Obama, should McCain be the GOP nominee.  Not only does Webb have his own military experience, but his own son is an Iraq War vet (as is McCain's son).  Sorry to put this in such cold political terms, but that has such enormous propaganda value that I'm sure it would give either Clinton or Obama something to think about.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 11:38:50 PM »

Finally, Jim Webb is the one politician in America with enough military credibility to directly attack John McCain. That will be a crucial asset in the GE.

I think this is the key reason why Webb will be near the top of the list of VP options for either Clinton or Obama, should McCain be the GOP nominee.  Not only does Webb have his own military experience, but his own son is an Iraq War vet (as is McCain's son).  Sorry to put this in such cold political terms, but that has such enormous propaganda value that I'm sure it would give either Clinton or Obama something to think about.

Joe Biden's son is soon to be put on active duty as well and will be deployed by the time of the election.  That makes them pretty even.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 12:04:54 AM »

Joe Biden's son is soon to be put on active duty as well and will be deployed by the time of the election.  That makes them pretty even.
Beau Biden?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 12:06:19 AM »

You make a good case for your man.

Perhaps you should send your ideas to the Obama campaign.

But does the nod go to Webb?  My opinion, no.

But who knows, you could be on to something.
Thanks. I have a feeling the Obama camp is too insulated  to accept advice from a fledging Oregon politico. Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 10:32:34 PM »

With Obama as the Democrat presidential candidate, he really needs a southern running mate. In the past 30 years, the only successful Democratic candidates have been southerners (Carter, Clinton). I believe that Obama would need a southerner in order to bring some southern EC Votes into play.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 11:52:35 PM »

With Obama as the Democrat presidential candidate, he really needs a southern running mate. In the past 30 years, the only successful Democratic candidates have been southerners (Carter, Clinton). I believe that Obama would need a southerner in order to bring some southern EC Votes into play.
Who would be a better fit for Obama, Easley or Webb?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2008, 12:29:16 AM »

Biden or bust'.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »

I'm not sure about Webb. Should Obama win the nomination it's very likely that he will be attacked on two issues - a) his perceived inexperience, and b) that his concensual, bipartisan style is all a facade and that the Democrats are deep down, still, "angry" and "bitter" over the Bush years. Webb wouldn't really help Obama on either of these. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Webb on the ticket but it might actually do Obama more harm than good. I still think Nelson or Edwards would be better suited as running mates.

Webb has served as secretary of the navy in a Republican administration. Does that not help on both the counts of experience and bipartisanship?
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 07:53:31 PM »

Sorry, Social Darwinist, I don't know either Easley or Webb well enough to give you an opinion on that. Webb's previous experience in the Reagan Administration I think would be enough to offset his lack of Senatorial experience. I don't know where Webb stands on the issues and whether he agrees or disagrees with Obama on issues that they each consider fundamental. Given the number of ECVs held by Florida, it might benefit Obama to look for someone from there.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 08:29:51 PM »

Sorry, Social Darwinist, I don't know either Easley or Webb well enough to give you an opinion on that. Webb's previous experience in the Reagan Administration I think would be enough to offset his lack of Senatorial experience. I don't know where Webb stands on the issues and whether he agrees or disagrees with Obama on issues that they each consider fundamental. Given the number of ECVs held by Florida, it might benefit Obama to look for someone from there.
Great points. Welcome to the forum, Smid. If I knew half as much about Aussie politics as you do about American politics, I'd be a very happy man. Wink
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »

Webb is not a fresh enough face.  Obama needs to win women back and will go with Niki Tsongas.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 10:39:45 PM »

Bob Graham? (who, btw I think would have been a good running mate for Gore or Kerry, but I don't think he's relevent anymore)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »

Reading over his Wikipedia entry, I think Graham would be a pretty good pick for Obama - experience (both as Governor and Senator for 28 years), National Security credentials (cosponsoring the bill to create a Director of National Intelligence), wins in Florida with about two thirds of the vote... It sounds to me like he'd be a pretty good pick for VP, backing up Obama on his potentially troublesome areas, although I don't know how well he and Obama get on at a personal level. If he can deliver Obama Florida, and if his relatively right-wing positions help in SC, it could be a very interesting result.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »

Reading over his Wikipedia entry, I think Graham would be a pretty good pick for Obama - experience (both as Governor and Senator for 28 years), National Security credentials (cosponsoring the bill to create a Director of National Intelligence), wins in Florida with about two thirds of the vote... It sounds to me like he'd be a pretty good pick for VP, backing up Obama on his potentially troublesome areas, although I don't know how well he and Obama get on at a personal level. If he can deliver Obama Florida, and if his relatively right-wing positions help in SC, it could be a very interesting result.

Yes I think he would be a good pick for Obama on all those counts.  The only thing is that he is as old as McCain...72 in 2008, 73 in 2009. 
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »

Bob Graham? (who, btw I think would have been a good running mate for Gore or Kerry, but I don't think he's relevent anymore)

I think former Senator Graham has been in failing health since leaving the Senate.  I am not sure, though.  I thought he mentioned his health as one concern in ending his Presidential campaign some years ago.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 08:48:42 PM »

Hillary would probably be Obama's best vp pick,  if she could only find it inherself to accept the #2   position on the ticket
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »

Now that McCain has a 99% of becoming the GOP nominee, this thread has become even more relevant...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 08:58:08 PM »

Tough guy Jim Webb could help Democrats stave off a disastrous showing with white male voters. Webb's unique understanding of Scots-Irish voters and his ability to relate to rural voters will help Clinton or Obama in states like West Virginia, Missouri, and, of course, Virgina.

Webb's military valor is an unquestionable asses to either Clinton or Obama, both of whom have no military service. Webb would balance a ticket that will be headed by O'bami or the woman.

Republicans are petrified at the prospect of this guy in a VP debate.
perdedor

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »

He also needs experience. Picking a VP less experienced than himself could potentially be devastating.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »

I'd like a Obama/Nelson ticket. (Bill Nelson)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2008, 11:46:09 PM »

Bloomberg
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

Don't take away my Senator, darn it!

How about Phil Bredesen? Mayor of Nashville, Governor of Tennessee, with a total of fourteen years of executive experience so far.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2008, 06:57:27 PM »

I'd like a Obama/Nelson ticket. (Bill Nelson)

Endorsed Clinton.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2008, 09:48:40 AM »

I'm not sure about Webb. Should Obama win the nomination it's very likely that he will be attacked on two issues - a) his perceived inexperience, and b) that his concensual, bipartisan style is all a facade and that the Democrats are deep down, still, "angry" and "bitter" over the Bush years. Webb wouldn't really help Obama on either of these. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Webb on the ticket but it might actually do Obama more harm than good. I still think Nelson or Edwards would be better suited as running mates.

Webb has served as secretary of the navy in a Republican administration. Does that not help on both the counts of experience and bipartisanship?

He's a Junior Senator, Obama's rivals would play that card to death.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies