Civil War II
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:40:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Civil War II
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War II  (Read 4141 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:23:17 PM »

I don't know where to put this, but I am curious. I'm talking 10, 20, or 50 years down the road, so it doesn't have to be tomorrow.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:25:26 PM »

We are too lazy to have another civil war.
and it might interrupt our reality t.v.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »

We are too lazy to have another civil war.
and it might interrupt our reality t.v.

What if Conservatives try to ban certain parts of that reality TV?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 08:36:57 PM »

I doubt it, personally.  Maybe I'd need to live in America but I can't see any issue that would lead to national-scale violence.  I trust the American people of today to be able to have differences without feeling the need to become violent towards those in opposition.  As was said before, most everyone in America wants the same things: freedom, security, prosperity, etc.; the only differences arise in how we should get there.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 08:47:30 PM »

It will be awhile before it would be possible.  There certainly won't be one anytime in the next 10 years.  I don't think Civil War II will be a war beteen the states like Civil War I was.  The Federal government for all its faults is unlikely to let something like that happen again.  Civil War II will be the people against the government  rather than state vs, state.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:14:56 PM »

Sherman made war hell so that another Civil War would not happen.

If a second Civil War did happen it would be over Socil Issues and partisanship, just like the 1 Civil War.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:45:14 PM »

I believe there will be one in the next century, probably over socio-religious issues.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 05:25:58 AM »

I'm missing the "No, for another reason." option. I've voted the only no option there is now.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 04:39:42 PM »

I'm missing the "No, for another reason." option. I've voted the only no option there is now.

What is the other reason?
ijohn57s

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 06:34:32 PM »

No. I don't see any reason why we would.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 07:57:52 PM »

I personally believe it's very likely over Social Issues.

True, I wouldn't go to war over a tax cut, but I might consider it if they took away my civil liberties.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 01:12:26 PM »

What is the other reason?
"we stand united" is not a reason, that's a result.
The reasons are that
there is no issue nearly as divisive as slavery anywhere on the horizon
the country is much more united, much more cohesive, than before the civil war (partly as a result of the civil war, and partly of the existence of national media)
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »

I doubt it, I mean the government would have to get pretty tyrannical for that to happen. You could be looking at some kind of insurrection or civil disobedience if the right person got in and tried to confiscate guns, for example. Banning people from non-ACLU approved religious services would almost surely trigger something in certain regions and states. This type of stuff isn't likely to happen in the near future, though.

There are, however, deep divisions within our society. We made it through the 1960s and the 1970s when it was worse, when there was an active effort on a lot of university campuses, for example, to begin a serious underground movement. We got through it. I don't know, it's not as romantic as a lot of people think and they give up when they realize how hard it is. So the government would have to do something outright crazy to outrage a broad, broad range of people to the point where they see no other recourse before there was any kind of mass civil disobedience, I think. The government won't do that. The people will either stop it if it's too far out or there will be a backlash at the polls. If there is a case, though, where they work something around behind the backs of the people and railroad some nutty decision through a kangaroo court, you'd likely just see a backlash at the polls.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 04:12:36 PM »

The way it would happen is if the war on terror becomes more at the homeland and Republicans become very anti-civil liberty in the name of homeland security. The Democrats would have to become the socially liberal party, and stuff like that. Both sides would have to go to the extreme.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 05:16:04 PM »

havent you all realized that most people dont give a damn about politics?  about 50% of the american adults vote.  of that 50%, only a very small number are hardcore partisans/ideologues.

if people are too lazy/apathetic to get off their bums to go vote, i dont expect  to see them running to pick up the rifle anytime soon.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 07:24:49 PM »

havent you all realized that most people dont give a damn about politics?  about 50% of the american adults vote.  of that 50%, only a very small number are hardcore partisans/ideologues.

if people are too lazy/apathetic to get off their bums to go vote, i dont expect  to see them running to pick up the rifle anytime soon.

It would only happen if either party really goes extreme. If the Conservatives really try to ban TV shows and civil liberties, people would care. If Liberals turn the country into a tree-hugging, hippy paradise, people would care.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 07:29:31 PM »

There's next to no chance of a civil war, but there's always a very slight chance of a coup d'tat.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004, 11:07:51 PM »

That doesn't matter. In the first revolutionary war, only 60% of Americans cared. 30%-40% didn't really care who won.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies