Is it wrong for me to think calling Hillary dead is premature?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:48:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is it wrong for me to think calling Hillary dead is premature?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it wrong for me to think calling Hillary dead is premature?  (Read 1103 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »

It seems that mostly everyone here (and else where) is declaring the Clinton campaign all but dead. Am I the only one who thinks that's way too premature? We've said at various points during the campaign that the Huckabee and McCain campaigns were dead, and look how they bounced back. After NH, there's  11 whole days until Nevada and 18 days until South Carolina - quite a lot of time for Hillary to either recover or unleash her attack machine. And if she decides to just withdraw to February 5th Battle Royal, that gives her more than three weeks to make a comeback.

Personally I think we're taking the Obama NH mo' too seriously - it's just a current trend. Am I the only one?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:29 PM »

Yes, realism is strictly prohibited in these parts... Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »

Contrary to previous statements I have made on this forum that Hillary Clinton had a lock on the nomination, I would now say that the race for the Democratic nomination has narrowed to a two person contest, Obama and Clinton.  Edwards does not have the staying power or the money to continue as long as the other two.

I agree completely with meekmariner.  The Clinton campaign is far from dead, even if she loses New Hampshire, which is likely.  Damaged yes, but certainly not dead.

The Clinton machine will be moved into high gear after New Hampshire, do not doubt that for a moment.  This campaign will get much tougher moving into Nevada and South Carolina.  The Clintons will be pulling out all the stops for Super Tuesday.

If Obama does win the nomination, he will know he has been in the fight of his political life, and he will have the battle scars to prove it.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:28 PM »

Even Fred Thompson is not completely dead yet.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:27:47 PM »

Clinton is far from dead, yes; she still has plenty of money and is still a pretty serious threat. She still has a slight chance at NH, and even failing that it's possible (though i hope unlikely) she could rebound on mega tuesday.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »

What everyone else is saying.

I doubt you'll find anyone who will say otherwise in this thread.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »

Clinton is far from dead, yes; she still has plenty of money and is still a pretty serious threat. She still has a slight chance at NH, and even failing that it's possible (though i hope unlikely) she could rebound on mega tuesday.

I wanna race of it Wink. 2004 was decided all too quickly

Dave
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:23:49 PM »

^^^^^^^
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:25:21 PM »

Thompson looks like he will be literally dead shortly.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:27:28 PM »

Thompson looks like he will be literally dead shortly.

My approval of the above statement did not exclude that possibility.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 12:58:20 AM »

Maybe not, but he is on life support.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:37:52 AM »

Given her (and Bill's) behavior today, I think no less than Hillary Clinton thinks that Hillary's just about done.  I mean seriously, "I can't make Hillary younger, taller, male..." is pathetic coming from Bill Clinton and the way he sounded it came across almost mournful.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 01:41:06 AM »

Of course much of the motivation for calling her campaign dead comes from Obama enthusiasm, but the biggest underlying reason is that most Democrats do so dislike her.  This major handicap gives a good deal of credence to negative projections about her primary performance.  However, she has one big going for her - Obama is black, and thus if any primary voters ever think about electability, they will ditch him for her or Edwards.  Additionally, a quite large percentage of even Democrats in many of the upcoming states are too racist to vote for Obama.  Hillary still has a good chance - a repugnant character to so many people, but less so than a black man is repugnant to america in general.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 03:41:50 AM »

No, you are right. Hillary Clinton, day by day now is changing into a political Britney Spears. Smiley
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 05:15:24 AM »

she is still leading in the national polls...sometimes I think Hillary could end up proving that Rudy's late strategy could work....just not for him
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:17:46 AM »

she is still leading in the national polls...sometimes I think Hillary could end up proving that Rudy's late strategy could work....just not for him

I said that exact thing to a friend in the US today. "Wouldn't it be hillarious is Rudy's strategy works for Hillary and he's out on Feb 6?"
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 05:56:55 AM »

There's certainly nothing wrong with saying it's premature to say she'd dead.  She's still talking and moving around on her own accord, and doesn't appear to be showing significant signs of decomposition.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 06:26:31 AM »

There's certainly nothing wrong with saying it's premature to say she'd dead.  She's still talking and moving around on her own accord, and doesn't appear to be showing significant signs of decomposition.
Silly Joe, bots aren't living beings. Cheesy

Clinton might be digging her own grave and watering it with tears of angst, but she definitely still has a chance, and the threat that she poses should not be disregarded so quickly. The worst that everyone (especially moderate and left-leaning independents) could do is to assume that Obama has won already and then not bother with voting as a result.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies