The Hill: Allen won’t run for Va. governorship in 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Allen won’t run for Va. governorship in 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Allen won’t run for Va. governorship in 2009  (Read 2108 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2008, 12:06:22 PM »

By Aaron Blake | Posted: 1/8/08 12:05 PM [ET]
January 08, 2008

Former Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) announced Tuesday that he will not run for his state’s governorship in 2009, ending speculation about a return to the office he held prior to his term in the Senate.

In a statement posted on his website, Allen thanked those who encouraged him to run but said he will not enter the race.

“We will always fondly recall our time in the Governor’s Mansion as an unparalleled honor and a period of historic initiatives and transformational accomplishments for Virginians,” Allen said. “Yet, as we look forward, we are excited about other significant ways we can serve and contribute outside of elected office. Therefore, I will not be a candidate for governor in 2009.”

Allen said he will continue to work in the public sphere. He fell to now-Sen. Jim Webb (D) by fewer than 10,000 votes out of more than 2 million cast in 2006.

“Republican leadership in our state has initiated far-reaching positive changes and we have joined with forward-thinking people from across party lines to make Virginia a better place to live, work, learn and raise a family,” he said. “I am pleased to have been able to be a part of that progress.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/allen-wont-run-for-va.-governorship-in-2009-2008-01-08.html
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

By Aaron Blake | Posted: 1/8/08 12:05 PM [ET]
January 08, 2008

Former Sen. George Allen (R-Va.) announced Tuesday that he will not run for his state’s governorship in 2009, ending speculation about a return to the office he held prior to his term in the Senate.

In a statement posted on his website, Allen thanked those who encouraged him to run but said he will not enter the race.

“We will always fondly recall our time in the Governor’s Mansion as an unparalleled honor and a period of historic initiatives and transformational accomplishments for Virginians,” Allen said. “Yet, as we look forward, we are excited about other significant ways we can serve and contribute outside of elected office. Therefore, I will not be a candidate for governor in 2009.”

Allen said he will continue to work in the public sphere. He fell to now-Sen. Jim Webb (D) by fewer than 10,000 votes out of more than 2 million cast in 2006.

“Republican leadership in our state has initiated far-reaching positive changes and we have joined with forward-thinking people from across party lines to make Virginia a better place to live, work, learn and raise a family,” he said. “I am pleased to have been able to be a part of that progress.”

http://thehill.com/campaign-2008/allen-wont-run-for-va.-governorship-in-2009-2008-01-08.html

Even though he would probably have lost, it is just good to know that I do not have to worry about him possibly winning in 2009.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:57:43 PM »

I've always known about VA's one-term limit, but I didn't realize that it only applied to consecutive terms.  I figured that it was simply one term only per person.

I've learned something new today.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »

On the front page, this shows up as "The Hill: Allen won...". Gave me quite a shock.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

macaca
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »

good now maybe the republicans can actually win.
Rococo4

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »

I think he woudl have had a decent chance to win
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 10:09:48 PM »

Ehh, I think he may have a chance at winning, but without Kaine or Warner on the ticket, we have a chance of taking the governorship, and the best way to do that is by not having Allen run
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »

I think he woudl have had a decent chance to win

He'd be macaca'd to death.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »

He committed political suicide in the "macaca" ordeal.  His political career is done.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies