Katrina victims sue US for $3 quadrillion dollars
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Katrina victims sue US for $3 quadrillion dollars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Katrina victims sue US for $3 quadrillion dollars  (Read 5872 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571349/?GT1=10755

NEW ORLEANS - Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their suffering and it is staggering — including one plaintiff seeking the unlikely sum of $3 quadrillion.

The total number — $3,014,170,389,176,410 — is the dollar figure so far sought from some 489,000 claims filed against the federal government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls following the Aug. 29, 2005, hurricane.

Of the total number of claims, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said it has received 247 for at least $1 billion apiece, including the one for $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge-based economist.

For the sake of perspective: A mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S. gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007. A stack of one quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than 60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is a nearly impossible task.

"There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of our country."

The corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least $1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by businesses, including several insurance companies.

Little is known about the person who claimed $3 quadrillion. It was filed in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans. Baker is far from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S. It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them — about 100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks — and is feeding them into a computer database.

The Corps said it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. Federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much compensation is warranted.

"It's important to the person who filed it, so we're taking every single claim seriously," Corps spokeswoman Amanda Jones said.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »

Its great they are making gestures of protest towards the society which failed them.  Too bad it will change nothing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:16:58 PM »

Its great they are making gestures of protest towards the society which failed them.  Too bad it will change nothing.

I agree, except I am a huge fan of modesty.  I understand aiming high, but I doubt any of the loss and suffering by anyone affected has even approached $1,000,000.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:49:13 PM »

I agree, except I am a huge fan of modesty.  I understand aiming high, but I doubt any of the loss and suffering by anyone affected has even approached $1,000,000.

Agreed.  Of course, the federal government isn't legally responsible in this case to begin with, even though they have already set aside and distributed millions of dollars for relief and shelter/relocation.  Like with anyone else living in a flood zone (in many cases, most insurance providers require you to buy separate coverage due to the increased likelihood that you will face damages compared to any other instance), the residents chose to live there.  Now, they can make a claim against the city of New Orleans or the State of Louisiana for failing to provide enough public aid for evacuation, though many chose to stay behind anyway.  I don't see where any large claims will receive favor in a court of law.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »

Agreed.  Of course, the federal government isn't legally responsible in this case to begin with, even though they have already set aside and distributed millions of dollars for relief and shelter/relocation.  Like with anyone else living in a flood zone (in many cases, most insurance providers require you to buy separate coverage due to the increased likelihood that you will face damages compared to any other instance), the residents chose to live there.  Now, they can make a claim against the city of New Orleans or the State of Louisiana for failing to provide enough public aid for evacuation, though many chose to stay behind anyway.  I don't see where any large claims will receive favor in a court of law.

You can't sue the state of Louisiana for money damages, MODU.  See the 11th Amendment - sovereign immunity doctrine.

I suspect the City of New Orleans may have no money.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »

Not only three quadrillion, but three quadrillion, fourteen trillion, one hundred seventy billion, three hundred eighty-nine million, one hundred seventy-six thousand, four hundred and ten.

...where the hell did that number come from?  Did the person just randomly mash the numpad of his computer?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »

Not only three quadrillion, but three quadrillion, fourteen trillion, one hundred seventy billion, three hundred eighty-nine million, one hundred seventy-six thousand, four hundred and ten.

...where the hell did that number come from?  Did the person just randomly mash the numpad of his computer?

Maybe you can massage numbers, like how that drycleaner got sued for $52 million for losing a pair of pants.
Angel of Death
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

I think somebody here watched too many Austin Powers movies.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:42 PM »

nuh uh, that's all the lawsuits combined. the largest single lawsuit is the three quadrillion one.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:30:25 PM »

nuh uh, that's all the lawsuits combined. the largest single lawsuit is the three quadrillion one.

Oh, haha.  That explains it.

...well, no, it doesn't.  But you know.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 10:41:01 PM »

I don't think most people understand exponential powers of ten. The issue is never really this absurd, but it pisses me off that so few get the difference between a million and a billion, an important distinction when president is asking for $87 billion dollars for his war. I almost wish the news would refer to it at 87 thousand million dollars so that people can better get their minds around it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »

They were all stupid enough to live in a city under sea level.  That's why I say it shouldn't be rebuilt - how many more times do we have to rebuild before people get the message.  Statistically, New Orleans was LUCKY.  It's bound to happen again, and worse.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 01:35:14 AM »

They were all stupid enough to live in a city under sea level.  That's why I say it shouldn't be rebuilt - how many more times do we have to rebuild before people get the message.  Statistically, New Orleans was LUCKY.  It's bound to happen again, and worse.

Would you feel the same way if San Francisco were flattenned by an earthquake? How about if a tornado destroyed a major Midwestern city? Natural disasters occur anywhere.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 01:36:19 AM »

Would you feel the same way if San Francisco were flattenned by an earthquake? How about if a tornado destroyed a major Midwestern city? Natural disasters occur anywhere.
  A tornado - no, because those are very small and the chances of that happening are miniscule.  San Francisco - I'd never  live there - it's just stupid.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 01:49:41 AM »

The difference there is that absolutely anyone could see this coming, but built the city anyway.  Seriously, the city was surrounded by water and was below sea level in an area plagued by hurricanes - I can't see how no one stood up and said "this is a disaster waiting to happen".
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 01:54:41 AM »

The difference there is that absolutely anyone could see this coming, but built the city anyway.  Seriously, the city was surrounded by water and was below sea level in an area plagued by hurricanes - I can't see how no one stood up and said "this is a disaster waiting to happen".

I don't think you're being sarcastic, but I can't tell.  But at this point it's irrelevant - it happened, so we have to move on.  But moving on by building the same mistake city (no levee is going to keep a hurricane out in a direct hit - sorry, unless it's a VERY weak hurricane, the city will still get hammered bad) is just dumb.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:02:55 AM »

I don't think you're being sarcastic, but I can't tell.  But at this point it's irrelevant - it happened, so we have to move on.  But moving on by building the same mistake city (no levee is going to keep a hurricane out in a direct hit - sorry, unless it's a VERY weak hurricane, the city will still get hammered bad) is just dumb.

No, I'm not being sarcastic.  Seriously, I can't understand why anyone would support rebuilding New Orleans in the exact position it was before.  That would just be asking for this disaster to happen all over again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 02:25:48 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2008, 02:31:26 AM by memphis »

This from a guy who lives on the Ring of Fire. I do agree however that building in the low-lying neighborhoods was really stupid.  New Orleans should only be rebuilt Downtown in the Garden district and Uptown.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 02:55:42 AM »

The U.S. government should cancel the Iraq War immediately to begin paying the settlements.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:23:59 AM »

If the Feds had forced the people to live there I could see some legal action being possible, then again, if a government could do that I don't think the people would be able to sue in the first place.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 04:39:58 AM »

Let them file a claim for that amount from their home/renter insurance policies.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »

Let them file a claim for that amount from their home/renter insurance policies.

You are assuming that they had insurance.  Many of those homeowners did not (as we were constantly informed of by the press, since the residents were so poor that they had nowhere else to go).
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »

They are suing the Corp of Engineers who did a crappy job of building the levies. If the levies didn't break, flooding would have been minimal.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »

They are suing the Corp of Engineers who did a crappy job of building the levies. If the levies didn't break, flooding would have been minimal.

It's still stupid to build there.  Nothing good can come from living next to water while below sea level.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »

I'm sure the Dutch are begging to differ.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies