Pledge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:32:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Pledge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pledge  (Read 3378 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 09:46:51 PM »

How can something appeal to your lifestyle? So if you like to drink coffee in the morning you are more likely to support a candidate that drinks coffee in the morning?

SoS,
where are the 'lies' in the first two links on your signature? It is true that Obama voted present on some abortion related bills in the Illinois Senate. It is also true that he supports lifting (not scrapping) the Social Security cap, just as claimed in the mailer. Those are legitimate policy issues that voters have the right to know about.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:13 PM »

I pledge to support the Republican nominee in November, unless the nominee is Huckabee, (lol), in which case I will not support the Republican nominee, or unless Romney runs as an independent, (won't happen), in which case I will support Romney.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »

How can something appeal to your lifestyle? So if you like to drink coffee in the morning you are more likely to support a candidate that drinks coffee in the morning?

SoS,
where are the 'lies' in the first two links on your signature? It is true that Obama voted present on some abortion related bills in the Illinois Senate. It is also true that he supports lifting (not scrapping) the Social Security cap, just as claimed in the mailer. Those are legitimate policy issues that voters have the right to know about.
Its all in the wording, like "Obama wants to raise taxes on the middle class by $1,000,000,000", which is bull. The Clinton mailer about abortion had the exact same twist, painting him as a right wing crazy. Its Clintonian politics at its finest, and exactly what we're combatting.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2008, 10:11:12 PM »

I hereby pledge to support the Democratic nominee in November, providing it's Clinton, Obama, Edwards or Gore
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »

SoS,
Its all in the wording, like "Obama wants to raise taxes on the middle class by $1,000,000,000", which is bull. The Clinton mailer about abortion had the exact same twist, painting him as a right wing crazy. Its Clintonian politics at its finest, and exactly what we're combatting.

You said "lies". I asked you where the lie was and now you say it's all about the wording. Surprise, surprise, campaign mailers have a bias.
I think Obama should just come back and say about the tax hike "Look, it's only for people making over $102,000 a year." If that works, good for him. If it doesn't work, then it's a good thing he's been challenged on it now and won't be flailing about in the general election to respond to the charge for the first time. Personally, I wouldn't commit to supporting such a drastic change in fiscal policy, especially since the forecasts on Social Security are still mixed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »

I pledge to stay neutral in the Presidential race if Hillary Clinton wins the nomination.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »

SoS,

You said "lies". I asked you where the lie was and now you say it's all about the wording. Surprise, surprise, campaign mailers have a bias.
I think Obama should just come back and say about the tax hike "Look, it's only for people making over $102,000 a year." If that works, good for him. If it doesn't work, then it's a good thing he's been challenged on it now and won't be flailing about in the general election to respond to the charge for the first time. Personally, I wouldn't commit to supporting such a drastic change in fiscal policy, especially since the forecasts on Social Security are still mixed.
To say that people making over $102,000 are part of the middle class is a lie. Theres no way around that.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »

I pledge to stay neutral in the Presidential race if Hillary Clinton wins the nomination.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »

SoS,

To say that people making over $102,000 are part of the middle class is a lie. Theres no way around that.

Yes, there is. In some places $102,000 is not really that exceptional, and families of those incomes would say they were middle class, with reason.

Also, the mailer only uses the phrase 'middle class' with when they were describing Hillary's position. 'A plan with a trillion-dollar tax increase on America's hard working families.' Biased? Yes. Hard-hitting, even negative? Sure. Don't tell me the other campaigns haven't done that too. Edwards in particular has run a very negative campaign on the Democratic side.

You said 'lie'. There was no lie. There was just something you (subjectively) disagreed with and even misread.

Claiming that a non-lie was a lie can also be a lie, you know.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 10:39:39 PM »

Good luck Harry Tongue - I tried the same thing on my side with little success.   There is a lot of unreasonable discontent on both sides of the aisle.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 10:40:55 PM »

There is a lot of unreasonable discontent on both sides of the aisle.

Why is it unreasonable to not support someone you dislike?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 10:49:56 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2008, 10:51:59 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

There is a lot of unreasonable discontent on both sides of the aisle.

Why is it unreasonable to not support someone you dislike?

"Unreasonable" might not be the right word... I just think that too many people are finding reason to hate their choices rather than striving to find things to like about them.  Two of these individuals are going to be their respective party's nominee for President, and one of these individuals will be President.  These are the choices, and not everyone is going to agree -- but the hate and vitriol, even within the parties, just seems out of order.

And I pledge to support the Republican nominee, provided it is any of the major candidates for the nomination.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 11:11:03 PM »

I hereby pledge not to support Hillary Rodham Clinton under any circumstances
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »

I hereby pledge not to pledge
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »

I hereby pledge to support the Democratic candidate unless it is Kucinich, or some other unreasonable/insane candidate.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 11:14:40 PM »

"Unreasonable" might not be the right word... I just think that too many people are finding reason to hate their choices rather than striving to find things to like about them.

If I have to "strive" for a reason to support someone, my general solution is to not support them.

I may vote for them, and even rail against their opponent, but why would I get out there and support them?  Because they manage to be registered to the same party as me?  Seems a little silly to me.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 11:44:52 PM »

SoS,

Yes, there is. In some places $102,000 is not really that exceptional, and families of those incomes would say they were middle class, with reason.

Also, the mailer only uses the phrase 'middle class' with when they were describing Hillary's position. 'A plan with a trillion-dollar tax increase on America's hard working families.' Biased? Yes. Hard-hitting, even negative? Sure. Don't tell me the other campaigns haven't done that too. Edwards in particular has run a very negative campaign on the Democratic side.

You said 'lie'. There was no lie. There was just something you (subjectively) disagreed with and even misread.

Claiming that a non-lie was a lie can also be a lie, you know.
Eh, Ill play your fickle game and just let you have it, although what she did was just as bad. Also, I agree that Edwards' campaign has been very disappointing in terms of its attitude towards unity, and a good, clean fight. At any rate, its exactly the kind of stuff teh next president shouldnt be doing, especially in the primary, and even more especially on top of the other things she has been up to.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 02:51:42 AM »

I hereby pledge to waste a lot of time on Atlas Forum in the next ten months.

And this:
I hereby pledge not to support Hillary Rodham Clinton under any circumstances
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 03:05:15 AM »

I happily pledge to support whoever is the Democratic nominee.

This isn't to say I only blindly support Democrats, just that this year I see no reason not to vote for any of the Democrats.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 03:26:27 AM »

I pledge, if humanly possible, in the Fall of 2008, to support the candidate that I think will do the best job as President.

There are some circumstances where that could be Clinton or Obama, though the latter is much less likely.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2008, 01:39:18 PM »

I hereby pledge to support the Democratic nominee in November, no matter who it is.

Who else will take the pledge?
Since Dennis Kucinich won't make the same pledge, would you still support him?
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »

i pledge to support the democratic nominee in november 2008 unless of course the aforementioned is barack obama and the republicans nominate john mccain.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »

I pledge to never vote for anyone named Bush or Clinton for the presidency of the United States.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2008, 02:10:09 PM »

I pledge, to vote and support the candidate who appeals to my beliefs and lifestyles best, regardless of age, sex, or party.

Or race, you Bradley hating skinhead!

Damn, I knew I forgot one. But I forgot for a very good reason. I don't race well.
gorkay

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »

I might take that pledge if not for McCain. I think I am going to have to start a support group, if one doesn't already exist, for Democrats who love McCain.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies