Pledge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:43:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Pledge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Pledge  (Read 3387 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »

I might take that pledge if not for McCain. I think I am going to have to start a support group, if one doesn't already exist, for Democrats who love McCain.
Think about the Supreme Court...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 06:11:41 PM »

What's with it with Democrats liking McCain again? Has everyone forgotten a year ago when he was as unpopular with Democrats as Bush was (rightfully) due to his swings to the hard right? (None of which he has backed down from)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2008, 06:12:32 PM »

I might take that pledge if not for McCain. I think I am going to have to start a support group, if one doesn't already exist, for Democrats who love McCain.

Also think about an all-but-guaranteed Democratic majority in the Senate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2008, 06:16:00 PM »

What's with it with Democrats liking McCain again? Has everyone forgotten a year ago when he was as unpopular with Democrats as Bush was (rightfully) due to his swings to the hard right? (None of which he has backed down from)

I like that he supports the Estate Tax and capital gains taxes.
I like that he supports amnesty.
I like that he opposed the Bush tax cuts.
I like that he supports governmental action to mitigate climate change.
I like that he is opposed by Rush Limbaugh and the National Review
I like that his hero is T.R.

There are many things about McCain to admire, but the Supreme Court is the overriding issue in deciding which person I will vote for this November.

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2008, 06:17:43 PM »

Yes, but he'll still appoint someone to the right of Anthony Kennedy. A Democratic-controlled Senate probably would've approved John Roberts, and he's become a slightly less conservative version of Scalia.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

I vote for the candidate, not the party. Just because a Republican like Clinton has a big D next to her name doesn't mean I owe her my vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »

And then flip flopped and came out against repealing them (with some really lame excuse)

Another logical fallacy. That's why saying you like Huckabee because Ann Coulter hates him.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:31 PM »

McCain couldn't nominate judges as conservative as Roberts or Alito, even if he wanted to.

I won't take the pledge: I have serious problems voting for another Clinton or another Bush. I might vote for Hillary depending on whom she's running against. However, I could live with McCain and if he ends up being the Republican nominee I just might vote for him. If Bloomberg runs and Hillary is the dem nominee, I might vote for him.

The problem with Hillary is that she's so polarizing and so hated by 50% of the country that she couldn't do anything in office and she would gauruntee the Republicans a good 2010.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2008, 06:24:44 PM »

And then flip flopped and came out against repealing them (with some really lame excuse)

Another logical fallacy. That's why saying you like Huckabee because Ann Coulter hates him.
Wrong. McCain cast a key vote against the original $1.6 trillion tax cut. Were it not for his brave vote, the tax cut wouldn't have been cut by $300 billion. McCain also supported the addition of middle class tax cuts, which later became the infamous $300-400 rebate check.

Oddly enough, you made a logical fallacy, too. My views are diametrically opposed to those of the National Review, which opposed McCain for the same reason why I like him. Coulter oppose Huckabee because she's criminally insane. False parallelism.

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »

McCain couldn't nominate judges as conservative as Roberts or Alito, even if he wanted to.

I won't take the pledge: I have serious problems voting for another Clinton or another Bush. I might vote for Hillary depending on whom she's running against. However, I could live with McCain and if he ends up being the Republican nominee I just might vote for him. If Bloomberg runs and Hillary is the dem nominee, I might vote for him.

The problem with Hillary is that she's so polarizing and so hated by 50% of the country that she couldn't do anything in office and she would gauruntee the Republicans a good 2010.

McCain could nominate a justice who would further weaken many of the judicial porecents set in the Warren Era. While he couldn't appoint an Alito type, he probably could force a Roberts nomination through the Senate.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »

McCain could nominate a justice who would further weaken many of the judicial porecents set in the Warren Era. While he couldn't appoint an Alito type, he probably could force a Roberts nomination through the Senate.

I, however, have the hope that a democratic senate would force McCain to nom a Kennedy or Oconner. ya know, a conservative that would not overturn Brown, Lawrence, Roe or West Coast.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies