Who would you rather have as your State Rep.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:22:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would you rather have as your State Rep.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would you rather have as your State Rep.?
Choice A

Choice B

Choice C

Choice D

Choice E

Choice F

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Who would you rather have as your State Rep.?  (Read 2447 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2008, 02:28:52 AM »

Choice A: A radically conservative Republican known as one of the leaders of the far right wing of this party. Their primary pet issue is to impose a ban on gay marriage and civil unions into the state constitution, and have vocally condemned anything less, including a substitute amendment that would prohibit marriage or unions being mandated by court. They've sponsored bills that would require miscarriages to be given birth certificates, and have led supporters in "pray-ins" over desks of fellow legislators who oppose the gay marriage ban. At one point they even broke into tears after the legislative president announced a close to the session refusing to vote on their proposed ban. They are completely unwilling to compromise with the Democrats on any issue.

Choice B: A mainstream conservative. While a general supporter of the GOP's policies and reliable vote, they've been known to be open to compromises and work across the aisle with legislators of the other party. They've bucked the party leadership on a few occasional votes, and while have a conservative record on hot button social issues, have said that it's more important to manage the state properly than vote on such things.

Choice C: A Republican, but absolutely hated by half of their own party. They've co-sponsored legislation to allow illegal immigrants to receive in-state college tuition at all universities in the state, are generally pro-choice, have a moderate record on gay issues, and frequently work with the other side. However they have a generally conservative record on taxes and low spending.

Choice D: A Democrat with a bit of a conservative streak. They have a generally pro-life and pro-gun voting record, but are opposed to an anti-gay marriage amendment to the state constitution and argue there are more important things to be concerned with. They have a strong record in favor of economic populism, but also a libertarian streak, in such things as opposing further restrictions on minors' driver's licenses and is a vocal critic of sin taxes and nanny statist proposals such as further restrictions on alcohol sales or where sex businesses can be zoned.

Choice E: A Democrat with a mainstream liberal voting record. They are pro-choice and in favor of civil unions if not full gay marriage. They generally vote the party line on economic issues as well, and say improving education is one of their top legislative priorities. They have been known to work with the other side however and usually vote with the majority in landslide votes.

Choice F: A radical liberal Democrat with a very quirky record. They have proposed lowering the voting age to 12 and a tax on breast implants. They have occasionally worked with Republicans, but only on generally non-partisan issues like legalizing ticket scalping. They are a solid partisan vote in lockstep with party leadership, only bucking it if they feel they aren't being liberal enough, and are often one of around 3 dissenters on bills. They take their radical partisanship even further through personal actions, such as defacing GOP campaign signs and theft of GOP campaign literature from door steps in swing districts, which has led to them being forced to pay a fine and do community service. A radical partisan and ideologue who makes no compromises.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:42 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2008, 05:37:39 AM by Alcon »

C.  I'd be OK with E too, and I'd probably be able to be happy with B too.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:25:35 AM »

E, I guess.

This is the first poll I've seen in months where it's not a choice between two terrible options.  I think BRTD deserves kudos for that. Tongue
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »

Choice E if only because the 'F' types tend to be too unreliable about certain things.  I don't see why there should be a tax on plastic surgery, for example.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:50:05 AM »

C, D or E. Depends on local poltics and the needs of the local area/
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 03:34:42 PM »

E is similar to my old State Rep., (not based on anyone in particular) F is my one in a week.

Choice E if only because the 'F' types tend to be too unreliable about certain things.  I don't see why there should be a tax on plastic surgery, for example.

Her argument is that those having it tend to be generally wealthy so there's no reason that their activities should be exempt from the sales tax.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »

C would be my first choice though I would not be adverse to either B or E depending on the person, exact voting record, and my own personal preferences.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »

Most likely B. I won't support anyone pro-choice or girly enough to "break into tears".
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 05:46:09 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2008, 07:28:21 PM by CPT MikeyMike »

C - Though if he co-sponsored legislation to allow illegal immigrants to receive in-state college tuition at all universities in the state, I'd vote his ass out of office.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

Choice E
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 07:03:57 PM »

E, though F would be fine.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

C
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »

I'd love C, and actively campaign for them at election time. I wouldn't mind E, D, or B, with my preference in that order, though pretty close. I think F would be an alright congressperson, if only for the lulz. If I was in A's district, I'd do whatever I could to get him/her out of office.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »

A is loosely based on Michele Bachmann (and by the way, she really did do the "pray-in" thing)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »

Here are my preferences, in order in which I am likely to vote:

Choice B

Choice C

Choice D

Choice E   
--------------------------

The best possible choice for my vote, of course, is a Democrat just like me.  Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »

Mississippi has a desperate need for F's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 10:12:28 PM »

Ehhhhh....E. I guess I would sorta have to live with anyone else, right? Can't afford to take that really long vacation yet.

Though E
            D
            C
            F
            B
            A

This is really an ideology question.

With this sorta rating-

A+ - Ann Coulter
A   - Alan Keyes
A-  -Jim Inholfe
B+- George W. Bush
B  - John McCain (Mitt Romney)
B- - John McCain
C+- Rudy Guiliani
C  - Jim Kolbe
C- - Lincoln Chafee
D+ - Ben Nelson
D-    Bob Casey
D- -  Mark Pryor
E+ - Ken Salazar
E-    Hillary Clinton
E--   Nancy Pelosi
F+-  Ted Kennedy
F-    Bernie Sanders
F--   Bloc Quebecios
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »

The best possible choice for my vote, of course, is a Democrat just like me.  Smiley

So why not D at the top?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »

D I guess....but I'd still be looking for somebody else.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 05:09:44 AM »

Her argument is that those having it tend to be generally wealthy so there's no reason that their activities should be exempt from the sales tax.

Why would she target breast implants in particular?  It would be much more reasonable to simply instate a massive increase in the income tax for rich people.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:17 PM »

Why would she target breast implants in particular?  It would be much more reasonable to simply instate a massive increase in the income tax for rich people.

yeah.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:58 PM »

B is a perfect fit for me.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »

Choice D
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »

Because plastic surgery is currently exempt from the state sales tax.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 03:28:37 PM »

E, which is what we have (State Rep. Kessler D-130). Our state rep is unique in that he has worked amazingly bi partisan to push enviromental aid, as well as introducing a popular bill to force schools to build off of state blueprints, and a bipartisan plan to fix our property tax problem. [/beeming with pride]
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies