The 28 Electoral Votes of the Netherlands will go to the Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:31:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  The 28 Electoral Votes of the Netherlands will go to the Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The 28 Electoral Votes of the Netherlands will go to the Democrats  (Read 4951 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 12:50:43 AM »

There is a Dakota County in Minnesota, and apparently one I was unfamiliar one in Nebraska with which I was unfamiliar, plus two states, formerly named the Dakota territory, back when the Louisiana purchase was consummated, or soon thereafter. Maybe the name was overly claimed. And what's wrong with French. Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »

So Holland, a state with legal marijuana, euthanasia and liberal prostitution laws isn't too keen on the GOP... big wow Wink

holland is a region, not a state, in the country of the netherlands.

Holland is two provinces.

Yeah, I usually take it upon myself to correct that but I didn't this time.  Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2008, 09:15:40 AM »

Since when is the Netherlands one of Europe's more liberal countries (if we by liberal mean American liberal). I consider the Netherlands to be one of the more right-winged countries in Western Europe.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »

I´m really shocked at the high level of support Barack Obama gets against Hillary Clinton in the Netherlands. All other polls in European states had Hillary at up to 60% all the time. Maybe that´s because the polls were old, or more and more people read about Obama or just because of the fact that the Netherlands are more liberal than the rest of Europe.

I suspect it is simply recent changes. My impression has often been that Clinton got glowing reviews in the foreign press while none of the other Democrats got any reviews at all. Now that is changing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2008, 01:11:31 PM »

Since when is the Netherlands one of Europe's more liberal countries (if we by liberal mean American liberal). I consider the Netherlands to be one of the more right-winged countries in Western Europe.

Who is more left wing than The Netherlands aside from possibly the Nordic countries?
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -5.91

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »

Who is more left wing than The Netherlands aside from possibly the Nordic countries?

Canada? I really can't imagine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2008, 02:39:23 PM »

Nordic as in...you know...Europe. Sweden, Norway, Denmark, etc.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2008, 02:40:20 PM »

I was answering your question.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

How? Canada isn't a Nordic country.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »

He didn't say it was.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 02:47:38 PM »

My answer to that was "Maybe Canada? I don't know."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 02:56:01 PM »

Ok, well, the conversation with Gustaf was concerning European countries that are more liberal than The Netherlands, not just any country in the world.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 03:00:23 PM »

Ok, well, the conversation with Gustaf was concerning European countries that are more liberal than The Netherlands, not just any country in the world.

Didn't notice that until just now. That's a weird quote pyramid.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2008, 03:03:56 PM by Angry Weasel »

This is out of left field, and I have been mumbling about it for days, but could America's conservatism cause America to be a relic, like the 18th and 19th century Ottoman Empire?

I mean, our infrastructure is weakening, our economic systems are too stubborn to modernize... our military and its members have begun the transition from American soldiers to Neo-Con Establishment warriors. What next?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2008, 03:03:16 PM »

The Netherlands isn't liberal and certainly isn't left-wing by any sane standard. People should not confuse permissiveness with liberalism, especially when they obviously have no idea what the traditional structure of Dutch society looks like...
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 03:03:32 PM »

This is out of left field, and I have been mumbling about it for days, but could America's conservatism cause America to be a relic, like the 18th and 19th century Ottoman Empire?

Someday. Right now, America's at about 1500, though, in that respect.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »

The Netherlands isn't liberal and certainly isn't left-wing by any sane standard. People should not confuse permissiveness with liberalism, especially when they obviously have no idea what the traditional structure of Dutch society looks like...

What is liberalism if not permissiveness?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2008, 03:06:35 PM by Angry Weasel »

What is "traditional dutch society"? I've been there and couldn't figure it out. I was like 15 when I went to visit with my step-brother but still..

...and where do you think the U.S. is terms of being like the Roman Empire, though I don't think the U.S. will balkanize like Rome did. I could see it become more like China or Post-Soviet Russia.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »

So you mean to tell me that the Dutch lifestyle isn't at the very least socially liberal? Do me a favor, snob, and don't tell me I obviously have no idea concerning this issue when I have read a bit on it. I'm not some ignorant American when it comes to European issues like you think I am, Al.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »

So you mean to tell me that the Dutch lifestyle isn't at the very least socially liberal? Do me a favor, snob, and don't tell me I obviously have no idea concerning this issue when I have read a bit on it. I'm not some ignorant American when it comes to European issues like you think I am, Al.

Yes. Seriously. The elitism he protrats is a dangerous thing. It causes ignorance and strife.
BenNebbich
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.43

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:18 PM »

well?

the question goes still to gustav.
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 03:24:12 PM »

well?

the question goes still to gustav.

Where is he when you need him?!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 03:26:42 PM »

Traditionally there is no such thing as Dutch society, not a single one anyway. That's my point (if that makes sense).
Left-Wing Blogger
Cookies and Milk
Rookie

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »

Traditionally there is no such thing as Dutch society, not a single one anyway. That's my point (if that makes sense).

It doesn't really.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »

So, there is no traditionalism to draw from. Even the language seems like a melted brew.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies